Do you watch DVD or Blu-Ray disc movies in your PC?

Hi,

Well, first of all, I'm a bit of old-school guy, and technically, I still like to watch DVD or Blu-ray disc movies. I usually use my PC to watch them because I can use my surround sound headphones, which, well, quite good, actually, if you don't mind the small screen.

So, what about you? Do you still watch DVD or Blu-ray movie on your PC? If your media server is a PC, I guess that counts too, since it is a PC.

Before anyone ask 'why not just go to Netflix or online streaming services?', my Internet has quota. Anyway, that's beside the point.

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I rip then on to my computer. I prefer ripping bluerays but my blueray drive has a part of the sata connection broken now.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I have an optical drive in my rig, I use it to rip CDs and DVDs that I find and don't have ripped yet. But they are DVDs and are SD so I usually find, erm, alternatives. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I prefer to watch movies from physical media as no streaming service can match the bitrate and therefore the quality. Plus, I like physically owning something I bought rather than it being digital. Makes me feel like I actually purchased something vs a license to use.

I was going down this road to set up kid's pc as a media center.  But found out i will be missing some features in my set up and its a giant pita to get everything working with blu ray properly.  I will eventually purchase a dedicated blu ray player.

The last rig I built had an optical drive, but the one I'm currently using doesn't. I didn't feel the need for it anymore since internet speeds have increased significantly over the past 5 years. I just use streaming services wherever I consume video content since those are encoded in Dolby Digital anyway.

As far as quality goes, my eyes and ears will not be able to truly appreciate the difference, unless I have both streaming 4K HDR and Blu-ray 4K HDR side by side at the same time. And even then, I would probably just think "meh, it's nice when you look at the bitrate statistics in real-time because the numbers are higher". There's only so much my eyes and ears can appreciate. I don't need to see the pore on the face of the actor to be slightly sharper on Blu-ray when compared to a streaming service. So when I look at value for money, I am absolutely willing to forgo high bitrate physical media for the convenience of streaming media + millions of hours of content for 1 price.

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

41 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I rip then on to my computer. I prefer ripping bluerays but my blueray drive has a part of the sata connection broken now.

I see. sad to hear your Blu-ray drive is having an issue. I think Amazon did sell LG Blu-ray drives for USD 75.

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I have an optical drive in my rig, I use it to rip CDs and DVDs that I find and don't have ripped yet. But they are DVDs and are SD so I usually find, erm, alternatives. 

I see. Well, DVD may be in SD, but their surround sound is pretty good.

15 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I prefer to watch movies from physical media as no streaming service can match the bitrate and therefore the quality. Plus, I like physically owning something I bought rather than it being digital. Makes me feel like I actually purchased something vs a license to use.

Man, I like your style.

13 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

VHS via capture card. THAT'S how hipster I am, apparently.

That being said, I have a decent amount of DVDs and I bought a Blu-ray drive to rip the first SpongeBob movie and a VeggieTales episode.

Oh wow, VHS through a capture card. I used to watch VHS, but I found they lack of surround sound, which is probably the main reason I go for DVD. You can actually feel the sound is coming behind you.

12 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

I was going down this road to set up kid's pc as a media center.  But found out i will be missing some features in my set up and its a giant pita to get everything working with blu ray properly.  I will eventually purchase a dedicated blu ray player.

Hmm, I see. Yeah, to watch Blu-ray disc movie, you need to pay for a software to play the movie. I wonder why Sony and the like still doesn't want release Blu-ray for the public as a free to use. In Windows 10, you should be able to play DVD movie just fine.

14 minutes ago, x-eagleeye-x said:

The last rig I built had an optical drive, but the one I'm currently using doesn't. I didn't feel the need for it anymore since internet speeds have increased significantly over the past 5 years. I just use streaming services wherever I consume video content since those are encoded in Dolby Digital anyway.

As far as quality goes, my eyes and ears will not be able to truly appreciate the difference, unless I have both streaming 4K HDR and Blu-ray 4K HDR side by side at the same time. And even then, I would probably just think "meh, it's nice when you look at the bitrate statistics in real-time because the numbers are higher". There's only so much my eyes and ears can appreciate. I don't need to see the pore on the face of the actor to be slightly sharper on Blu-ray when compared to a streaming service. So when I look at value for money, I am absolutely willing to forgo high bitrate physical media for the convenience of streaming media + millions of hours of content for 1 price.

I see. Well, I'm happy you found the streaming services works for you. I don't have lots of internet quota, so streaming services is not ideal. Even in Youtube I have to opt to watch at 480p to conserve data. But my main reason is surround sound feature. I don't know much about streaming services, but Blu-ray has 7.1 surround sound, which if you pair with a capable headphone (or you have a software that could mimic 7.1 surround sound to a stereo headset), they sound pretty good. You can listen the sound of a car pass by from behind to the front as if the real car pass by you.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Blue-ray drives are still to expensive for me to even consider getting one. I still have a DVD drive in my rig but it hasn't been used for a long time. I just end up playing DVD/Blurays on my PS3. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Blue-ray drives are still to expensive for me to even consider getting one. I still have a DVD drive in my rig but it hasn't been used for a long time. I just end up playing DVD/Blurays on my PS3. 

I see. Well, since you have PS3, might as well use it to watch Blu-ray disc.

Old enough we still have a box of VHS tapes..... that we don't watch anymore, but still have em'.

HTPC does dandy DVD, streaming, gaming, and other. xbox for the blueray.

When I was a kid, we watched vacations on a slide projector. Gramps passed many years ago, so my uncles took over and occasionally on christmas or thanksgiving they set it up and we watch once a year. Would like to digitize all of the slides (thousands actually) because they are already deteriorating some of them 50-60 years old now. Have to take care with them for sure. Finger will go right through.

I miss the old days. So much is changed.....

We digitized all of our DVDs/blurays a couple years ago and they sit on a drive in my HTPC now

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

HTPC does dandy DVD, streaming, gaming, and other. xbox for the blueray.

I see.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

we watched vacations on a slide projector.

Wow, a slide projector. Haven't seen one in ages. I think the very first and last time I saw it is at a museum.

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

We digitized all of our DVDs/blurays a couple years ago and they sit on a drive in my HTPC now

Okay, I guess the ISO still counts...

1 minute ago, Chiyawa said:

Wow, a slide projector. Haven't seen one in ages. I think the very first and last time I saw it is at a museum.

Right.  

DVDs arent really that far back there.

Aaaand Atari is still a thing.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Right.  

DVDs arent really that far back there.

Aaaand Atari is still a thing.

Oh ho ho. Well, Atari is still a thing even right now, but I'm more of a Commodore guy. I don't own any of their console, though.

Just now, Chiyawa said:

Oh ho ho. Well, Atari is still a thing even right now, but I'm more of a Commodore guy. I don't own any of their console, though.

My brother has the old Commodore and also Pong console. 

We've had many atari's. Dime a dozen.

I use to watch DVDs on a PC years ago. I remember the first DVD capable device was an eMachine eMonster 600 that a friend of mine and his dad gave me back when I was like 15 (2003). It was utterly amazing this 600MHz Pentium III running Windows 98se even had a DVD drive (it came from the factory with it), let alone play them. I watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean on it on a 15" CRT Monitor (after my parents watched it first on their actual DVD player). I only used it for DVDs briefly though. My brother got me a DVD player for Christmas either that same year or the next year. I used it for like 15 years until I accidentally kicked the open disc tray and broke it.

My first Blu-Ray player was an HP laptop that I got new in 2008. My parents and I watched the Dark Knight on it with it hooked up to their plasma TV. That was the only Blu-Ray it ever played before the drive broke 😆

Of course I used a laptop to watch a DVD a few times years ago too. That was fairly rare though as I've never traveled a lot.

I do still watch DVDs and Blu-Rays now, but I use a PS4 Pro to watch Blu-Rays on my 43" LCD TV and I use a PS3 to watch DVDs on my 27" CRT TV (using S-Video). I also have the official remotes for both too cause I hate using controllers for media playback.