Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super fans are ramping up to full RPM under load - cannot be slowed down

Voyd

Hey guys, got a new GPU here after i had a faulty RTX 1080. Worked like a dream for a week, but now whenever i play anything remotely graphic intense the fans will rev up to full RPM and the only way to slow it down is to shut down my PC.

I have performed a DDU reset to get old drivers out, issue persists. I've reseated the whole GPU too, everything is where it should be and nothing is in the way of the fans. Also, when keeping track of my fans in GPU-Z i cannot see the RPM at all, even when its full speed and sounding like a jet.

I've tried adjusting the fan speeds in Aorus Engine but it will not control the fans, its like there is only two settings, low RPM or full-turbo.

May be also worth noting that the GPU temp has never gone past 63c. The temps in the case are all good.

Kind of lost on what to do to be honest! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Have you updated the drivers? Check the firmware.

I've only encountered one desktop (Dell) where the GPU it came with would ramp up the fans and then never spin down, and that appears to be a firmware-specific issue. Another identical GPU, does not have the problem.

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

Have you updated the drivers? Check the firmware.

I've only encountered one desktop (Dell) where the GPU it came with would ramp up the fans and then never spin down, and that appears to be a firmware-specific issue. Another identical GPU, does not have the problem.

I’ve tried the most recent drivers, and also drivers from a couple months ago. Neither seem to work :( 

2nd time I’ve had an issue with Gigabyte cards so I’m thinking of just RMA and get an MSI... I’ve run out of things to try!

6 hours ago, Voyd said:

I’ve tried the most recent drivers, and also drivers from a couple months ago. Neither seem to work :( 

2nd time I’ve had an issue with Gigabyte cards so I’m thinking of just RMA and get an MSI... I’ve run out of things to try!

Did you try setting a fan curve using msi after burner? ( Sorry if I missed it )

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

30 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Did you try setting a fan curve using msi after burner? ( Sorry if I missed it )

Yes i have, As soon as i even try to change the fan speeds, it shoots up to full jet-engine sounds

18 minutes ago, Voyd said:

Yes i have, As soon as i even try to change the fan speeds, it shoots up to full jet-engine sounds

Try different firmwares. If it doesn't work, the temperature sensor on the card is likely broken and you'll need to replace the unit.

21 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Try different firmwares. If it doesn't work, the temperature sensor on the card is likely broken and you'll need to replace the unit.

This was my suspicion. Thinking of getting a 2060 Super as a replacement... Im not too eager for an upgrade since i was very happy with my GTX 1080.

Any chance you think this could be caused by a PSU issue? i have a Corsair VS-550w. Which is sufficient for my PC's needs but i'm worried that it may be causing the issue.

2 minutes ago, Voyd said:

Any chance you think this could be caused by a PSU issue? i have a Corsair VS-550w. Which is sufficient for my PC's needs but i'm worried that it may be causing the issue.

Nope it is very very unlikely it's the reason

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Nope it is very very unlikely it's the reason

Thank you so much for your help!