About the Sennheiser HD 6XX and HD 58X...

Hello all!

I've just purchased the ALEX CAVALLI TUBE HYBRID AMP and GRACE DESIGN STANDARD DAC. I have always been into audio, but never really pulled the trigger. I was looking to pair the two with the SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES, so I purchased them too. 

Sometimes I feel extremely torn between them, as it sometimes seems (from what people say) the 6XX are somehow just a waaay superior headphone.

About me: I do like quite a neutral sound signature, but my "secret pleasure" is and always has been a bit of bass (definitely not muddy or overpowered, just present, if you know what I mean - to make the music sound more "alive"). Now I do understand that the HD 58X/6XX are not basshead headphones and I am perfectly okay with that. But you should also know that I am not looking to analyse or monitor my music or equipment, but rather to listen to the actual music and, of course, enjoy it. 

And this is where we come to my decision about purchasing the HD 58X over the HD6XX's... from what I've read it seems like the HD 6XX headphones are a bit more "sterile", analytical and cooler sounding, while the HD58X (which are intended to be pretty much my daily driver for movies, gaming and music listening - mixed genre) are a bit warmer, have a touch more bass and are just more enjoyable and easy to listen to. I know they don't really need an amp for the most part, but I really wanted to get a setup that would be able to support maybe even some other harder to drive headphones in the future and I was hoping that the tube (I know it's a hybrid, but still) would help with the smoothness and warmth - at least a bit.

About the drivers: What's also gotten me worried is that the 6XX's use pretty much the same driver as the original HD 650 (basically a $500 pair of headphones), but the HD 58X use a newer driver, that is apparently NOT the same as the HD 660 S (as confirmed by Sennheiser, apparently).. and so at this point I am asking myself: is the $170 price on Massdrop right now actually worth it? What if I am actually getting a much much cheap driver that was just tuned to sound good? - I do realise this is a funny and stupid thing to be worried about, but still.. I believe it is an interesting aspect of this situation to at least consider taking a look at.

So this brings me to the question: did I make the right choice based on what I'm looking for, because sometimes forums, videos on YT and reviews online make me feel like I should have gotten the HD 6XX instead?

I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you all in advance!

The 58x uses a driver that's most likely the he 599's driver but tuned very similarly to the 660 the 599 is worth about $170 the 660 is think is worth about $400 the 58x sounds like a mini 660. Tuning does a lot to a headphone and can make them significantly a better value. The 6xx does better with tube amps/ hybrids over the 2 headphones the higher impedance also just scales much better with power over the 58x while the 58x does really well without an amp the cleaner signal over a DAC helps it sound better.  Tube add more warmth to the equation. So it adds more body to the low end and mids of the 6xx and 58x but it would be more noticable on the 6xx

Imo, these are more similar than they are different, so stressing the differences is largely moot. If you're not trying lots of different products to get the exact sound you want, you'll never know the difference anyway. Sennheiser just tunes all these slightly different so the audio nerds don't call them the same thing.

HD 650 are my go-to, but never bothered to try the newer Massdrop products.

8 hours ago, gal-m said:

Hello all!

I've just purchased the ALEX CAVALLI TUBE HYBRID AMP and GRACE DESIGN STANDARD DAC. I have always been into audio, but never really pulled the trigger. I was looking to pair the two with the SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES, so I purchased them too. 

Sometimes I feel extremely torn between them, as it sometimes seems (from what people say) the 6XX are somehow just a waaay superior headphone.

About me: I do like quite a neutral sound signature, but my "secret pleasure" is and always has been a bit of bass (definitely not muddy or overpowered, just present, if you know what I mean - to make the music sound more "alive"). Now I do understand that the HD 58X/6XX are not basshead headphones and I am perfectly okay with that. But you should also know that I am not looking to analyse or monitor my music or equipment, but rather to listen to the actual music and, of course, enjoy it. 

And this is where we come to my decision about purchasing the HD 58X over the HD6XX's... from what I've read it seems like the HD 6XX headphones are a bit more "sterile", analytical and cooler sounding, while the HD58X (which are intended to be pretty much my daily driver for movies, gaming and music listening - mixed genre) are a bit warmer, have a touch more bass and are just more enjoyable and easy to listen to. I know they don't really need an amp for the most part, but I really wanted to get a setup that would be able to support maybe even some other harder to drive headphones in the future and I was hoping that the tube (I know it's a hybrid, but still) would help with the smoothness and warmth - at least a bit.

About the drivers: What's also gotten me worried is that the 6XX's use pretty much the same driver as the original HD 650 (basically a $500 pair of headphones), but the HD 58X use a newer driver, that is apparently NOT the same as the HD 660 S (as confirmed by Sennheiser, apparently).. and so at this point I am asking myself: is the $170 price on Massdrop right now actually worth it? What if I am actually getting a much much cheap driver that was just tuned to sound good? - I do realise this is a funny and stupid thing to be worried about, but still.. I believe it is an interesting aspect of this situation to at least consider taking a look at.

So this brings me to the question: did I make the right choice based on what I'm looking for, because sometimes forums, videos on YT and reviews online make me feel like I should have gotten the HD 6XX instead?

I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you all in advance!

The HD650 and HD6XX are not pretty much the same. Headband painting aside, they are exactly the same, as Sennheiser has already confirmed.

Have you tried tube rolling? Some tubes distort more than others and will give you more tuby sound. The less they distort, the closer they get to sound like solid state amps. You won't get the same sound as a pure tube amp on the CTH, but you won't lack power either (save a few selection of cans).

Tuning means a hell freaking lot. The HD660S uses the same driver as the HD700, which has one of the worst tunings ever. Lot's of people love the HD660S, while hating the HD700 at the same time. There's also the fact that pads and construction are different though.

These are the ones I've tried/had so far in the Sennheiser lineup: HD598, HD6XX/HD650, HD700, HD800 (non S). The HD6XX is my favourite of the bunch, by far (I'm listening to it right now btw). Scales like a truck, sounds good with or without tubes. The HD700 and HD800 can go to hell for all I care (I'd go for the Arya instead).

This is just some insight from someone that had the opportunity to try a bit more than you, so I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

The HD650 and HD6XX are not pretty much the same. Headband painting aside, they are exactly the same, as Sennheiser has already confirmed.

Have you tried tube rolling? Some tubes distort more than others and will give you more tuby sound. The less they distort, the closer they get to sound like solid state amps. You won't get the same sound as a pure tube amp on the CTH, but you won't lack power either (save a few selection of cans).

Tuning means a hell freaking lot. The HD660S uses the same driver as the HD700, which has one of the worst tunings ever. Lot's of people love the HD660S, while hating the HD700 at the same time. There's also the fact that pads and construction are also different though.

These are the ones I've tried/had so far in the Sennheiser lineup: HD598, HD6XX/HD650, HD700, HD800 (non S). The HD6XX is my favourite of the bunch, by far (I'm listening to it right now btw). Scales like a truck, sounds good with or without tubes. The HD700 and HD800 can go to hell for all I care (I'd go for the Arya instead).

This is just some insight from someone that had the opportunity to try a bit more than you, so I hope this helps.

I'd like to thank everyone for their insight and help!

This sure did help. I hope and think I made a good decision with the HD 58X, since I'll be able to use them nicely even with my laptop or phone in bed sometimes as well. I might try different tubes for sure.

Where I come from, I unfortunately don't get many opportunities to try out different headphones as stores (even Hi-Fi ones) are stocked up on mostly generic stuff, so I have to rely on reviews and sound demos/comparisons. 

I can always buy the HD 6XX down the line, or maybe I'll try something different. Coming from HD 518's and V-Moda M100's (DJing).