Ryzen 3600 and Memmory settings : MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Hello

I would like some assistance in getting my RAM to match the XMP spec exactly.

The RAM modules I own are these

2 x 8GB DDR4 3600 T-Force VULCAN TUF Gaming Alliance DDR4

CL19-19-19-39

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/vulcan-tuf-ddr4

It shows up correctly under the SPD tab of CPU-Z as the only XMP profile.

49927344472_dc421f67ea_o.png

So then I enable XMP in the BIOS and it looks like the correct option in the BIOS as shown below.

49926532893_d6f4426f36_o.png

However when I log back into Windows and check CPU-Z I can see the below issues.

CL is 20 instead of 19

tRC is 82 instead of 58

49927462147_d2a12d6a91_o.png

In the BIOS I cannot figure out how to tweak the TRC, I only have below options under DRAM configuration.

49927055601_a44b7f3502_o.png

If I go to the advanced overclocking DRAM section I get this which I cannot make head or tail out of cause I am a noob to RAM.

49927354267_5163e95f73_o.png

Now there is an option under DRAM Overclocking called "Memmory Try It !" where you can pick from a list of presets. So for example I chose the below which works fine.

49927437697_b038832f73_o.png

It worked fine but as shown in CPU-Z below my tRC is still at 82 even though the other timings look good.

49927349082_31c10f543f_o.png

System specs

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC WiFi

2 x 8GB DDR4 3600 VULCAN TUF Gaming Alliance DDR4 GAMING MEMORY

AMD Radeon R9 290 Sapphire Vapor-x

Try more than one monitoring system 

For cl latency it could happen if the imc needed to up the cl latency and couldn't get to the advertised speeds with the cl19 but the trc is really really weird Maybe try hwinfo64 to monitor the ram speeds

And update the bios 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Try more than one monitoring system

For cl latency it could happen if the imc needed to up the cl latency and couldn't get to the advertised speeds with the cl19 but the trc is really really weird Maybe try hwinfo64 to monitor the ram speeds

Verified with Ryzen Master. It confirmed all the CPU-Z readings.

15 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

And update the bios 

BIOS is up to date.

Also as mentioned in OP my system runs fine even at 16-19-19-19-39, which is even a lower CL than what my modules are rated for, yet it's stable outside the XMP profile...

But the tRC value is still really high.

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Verified with Ryzen Master. It confirmed all the CPU-Z readings.

BIOS is up to date.

Also as mentioned in OP my system runs fine even at 16-19-19-19-39, which is even a lower CL than what my modules are rated for, yet it's stable outside the XMP profile...

But the tRC value is still really high.

So manually adjust Trc back to 58.

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

But the tRC value is still really high

This completely slipped my mind but do what @ShrimpBrime said and try manually setting it to 58

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

This completely slipped my mind but do what @ShrimpBrime said and try manually setting it to 58

I wonder what the Trfc 1 is set to. There's a slight bit of performance gain getting that tighter. If it's 700 or higher, I'd manually lower that one too.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I wonder what the Trfc 1 is set to. There's a slight bit of performance gain getting that tighter. If it's 700 or higher, I'd manually lower that one too.

Yea I agree but I just noticed that OP said that they can't even change anything other than the cl so they can't even change trc or trfc

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Yea I agree but I just noticed that OP said that they can't even change anything other than the cl so they can't even change trc or trfc

Yes he can.,

Just needs to click the "advanced timings configuration tab. You can see the option on the second screen shot in the first post.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes he can.,

Just needs to click the "advanced timings configuration tab. You can see the option on the second screen shot in the first post.

Didn't see that lol 😛

Build Log: 

23 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes he can.,

21 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Didn't see that lol 😛

When i click on Advanced DRAM configuration I get the below. I can only change the items under Main Timing Configuration.

From Sub Timing Configuration downwards everything is greyed out. Regardless of whether I am in XMP mode or not.

49927055601_a44b7f3502_o.png&key=75b665a

If I go the advanced overclocking DRAM section I can see the below which looks like greek to me. Can I change the tRC to 58 from here? If so how?

49927354267_5163e95f73_o.png

Go to Trc control enable it and then it should allow you to change the timing to what you select or type in the number pad.

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Go to Trc control enable it and then it should allow you to change the timing to what you select or type in the number pad.

^

Build Log: 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

^

Ok I did that, below is what I did in the BIOS. But look at what it says about the range of possible values on the right. btw when I enabled that control it defaults to 39 before I change it. Anyway I changed it to 58.

49927007073_06d6b8881b_o.png

After I set it to 58 and log back into windows below is what I get. tRC has actually gone up further.

49927528766_071826e84c_o.png

11 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Ok I did that, below is what I did in the BIOS. But look at what it says about the range of possible values on the right. btw when I enabled that control it defaults to 39 before I change it. Anyway I changed it to 58.

After I set it to 58 and log back into windows below is what I get. tRC has actually gone up further.

Lol that is far out! 

I'm not super familiar with MSI bios's, but that's f'ed up man lol. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Lol that is far out! 

I'm not super familiar with MSI bios's, but that's f'ed up man lol. 

Maybe it's just bad firmware or bios from msi 

They are not necessarily known for the best bios experience lmao

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Maybe it's just bad firmware or bios from msi 

They are not necessarily known for the best bios experience lmao

Ya, but how do we help him with this?? Someone that has MSI experience could help.

My newest MSI board is AM2 chipset. Athlons and Phenom Agena core chips.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ya, but how do we help him with this?? Someone that has MSI experience could help.

My newest MSI board is AM2 chipset. Athlons and Phenom Agena core chips.

I remember a while back on the forums some one had similar problems with their ram and I think we concluded that the bios was shit and other people from Reddit where complaining about it and it ended up being the bios / uefi

We can't really do anything about it I suppose 

Other than maybe op reaching out for msi help 

Build Log: 

• 7 months later...

Sorry to necro an old thread and OP has probably fixed it by now, but this might help someone else. MSI wants the DRAM timings entering in hex for some reason, not decimal.  Why MSI, why? It does actually mention this on the BIOS screen in the side panel though.

Using an online dec-hex converter, dec 56=hex 38. If you enter 38 in BIOS, CPU-Z should confirm that your tRC is now 56. Or at least it did for me.