Getting lower fps in every game I play

Arman Afridi

My build

processor         - i5 9600k 

main board      - Gigabyte Z390 aorus pro wifi 

Graphics card - Asus Tuf Geforce RTX 2060 OC 6gb

ram                   - G.Skill Tridentz 8gb 3200mhz x 2 

Power supply  - CX Series™ CX650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified ATX PSU

Recently I am getting a lower fps in every game I used to play in my pc, In GTA V, I only get about 70-80fps and on grass about a 40-50( plus in GTA V the game starts with a good fps count 90-100 but then it drops to 70 and stays there) In warzone I previously got 90-115fps sometimes 120fps. But now I get about 60-70 sometimes 80fps. In Assassin's Creed Odyssey I used to get about 70fps(last month in benchmark I got about 77fps) now I get 57 fps. My Gpu's temperature always goes above 80 but stays below 85. I tried reinstalling my game ready drivers through safe mode, I even tried reinstalling windows. But nothings solves the issue. The problems started happening like a week ago. And I don't know what to do. 

1 minute ago, Arman Afridi said:

even tried reinstalling windows

are you returning the machine to its previous configuration?

Because if the software isn't the same it's not going to have any sort of performance consistancy. If the games , drivers , and os are subject to constant changes via updates then throw consistency out the window.

Gpu temps usually stay below 83 since at that point, it will throttle down so it will stay at that temperature. Check your gpu clocks. It could have been throttling down.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

4 minutes ago, Arman Afridi said:

My Gpu's temperature always goes above 80 but stays below 85

sounds like gpu throttling

First, please use a larger font size. What cpu temps do you have while gaming? Did you update your graphics driver to a newer version (compared to before)? If your GPU stays above 80C, make sure to adjust the fan curve. A good target should be between 72C and 78C for air cooled cards.

What are your full specs? What case do you have?

Sounds like the card is throttling due to overheating, you need to adjust the fan curve or allow for more airflow depending on the case.

83c is too hot to run at consistently, GPU's will start to throttle and lower your performance. Also making sure all graphics, bios, chipset, and Windows drivers/updates are current is good thing to keep up with.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

14 hours ago, boggy77 said:

sounds like gpu throttling

But the clock speeds are at 1875 mhz

14 hours ago, Applefreak said:

First, please use a larger font size. What cpu temps do you have while gaming? Did you update your graphics driver to a newer version (compared to before)? If your GPU stays above 80C, make sure to adjust the fan curve. A good target should be between 72C and 78C for air cooled cards.

Yes, I have up to date gpu drivers, How can I adjust my curve?

1 minute ago, Arman Afridi said:

But the clock speeds are at 1875 mhz

Doesn't matter what the clock speeds are set to, if the GPU gets too hot it will throttle and drop the clock speed automatically so the card doesn't overheat. You can adjust fan curves in the cards control software or in the bios of the computer, depending on your case and how you have it setup your airflow in the case could also be the problem. 80c and above is just too hot for that card. Especially if you are overclocking, if you have the card OC'd you may want to reset it back to to stock clocks and see if your performance improves, if you are OCing the card and it's thermal throttling that is most likely the issue.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

14 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What are your full specs? What case do you have?

Sounds like the card is throttling due to overheating, you need to adjust the fan curve or allow for more airflow depending on the case.

83c is too hot to run at consistently, GPU's will start to throttle and lower your performance. Also making sure all graphics, bios, chipset, and Windows drivers/updates are current is good thing to keep up with.

My full spec:

1) Intel® Core™ i5-9600K Processor

2) Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro wifi

3) G.skill Tridentz 8GB DDR4 Rgb 3200mhz

4) Seagate Barrauda 1tb 

5) Asus Tuf Geforce RTX 2060 OC 6gb GDDR6

6) Corsair CX650 ATX 80 PLUS Bronze 650w 

7) Gigabyte aorus c300g case

8 ) Samsung 970 EVO plus NVME M.2 @50 gb (My C drive)

9) Aorus ATC 700 Cpu Cooler

And card is stuck at 1875mhz while my boost clock is at 1710mhz. And do I really have to update my bios?

4 minutes ago, Arman Afridi said:

And card is stuck at 1875mhz while my boost clock is at 1710mhz. And do I really have to update my bios?

If it is out of date, you should, a lot of people say you don't have to if it is working but in my opinion bios and chipset should always be kept up to date, bios updates usually have very important fixes whether it's memory compatibility patches, security fixes, CPU bug fixes. It's very important to keep up to date and if you have a board that's several bios updates behind then doing them could fix issues you may be having. If the card is stuck at 1875mhz and your boost is only supposed to be 1710mhz I'd say that may be your issue that's causing the overheating and throttling. If you have a control software like afterburner or if gigabyte has one for the card see if you can underclock it to the stock clocks and see if it fixes the issue.

13 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If it is out of date, you should, a lot of people say you don't have to if it is working but in my opinion bios and chipset should always be kept up to date, bios updates usually have very important fixes whether it's memory compatibility patches, security fixes, CPU bug fixes. It's very important to keep up to date and if you have a board that's several bios updates behind then doing them could fix issues you may be having. If the card is stuck at 1875mhz and your boost is only supposed to be 1710mhz I'd say that may be your issue that's causing the overheating and throttling. If you have a control software like afterburner or if gigabyte has one for the card see if you can underclock it to the stock clocks and see if it fixes the issue.

I never upgraded my BIOS before is there any source you know or can you tell me how to do it?(Cause my country is on total lockdown, I can't call a technician)

5 hours ago, Arman Afridi said:

I never upgraded my BIOS before is there any source you know or can you tell me how to do it?(Cause my country is on total lockdown, I can't call a technician)

Go to the support page on the manufacturers website for your motherboard, it will have the most recent bios update there. Download it, unpack it to a USB and then restart the computer, hit delete or whatever key it is to enter your bios and use the flash utility to flash the bios. If you can't figure it out most motherboards have plenty of youtube videos showing it step by step.

2 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Go to the support page on the manufacturers website for your motherboard, it will have the most recent bios update there. Download it, unpack it to a USB and then restart the computer, hit delete or whatever key it is to enter your bios and use the flash utility to flash the bios. If you can't figure it out most motherboards have plenty of youtube videos showing it step by step.

Okay but there is now another problem, Q-flash can't find my pen drive. The pen drive is set to ntfs. 

14 hours ago, Arman Afridi said:

Okay but there is now another problem, Q-flash can't find my pen drive. The pen drive is set to ntfs. 

I'll check the internet for a solution for my pen drive. 

Now, the bios version that my main board has is F9 (release date: 2019/03/15). The latest bios Gigabyte has for my main board is F12c (release date: 2019/12/18). 

And these FPS issues started occurring in this month, (the latest nvidia driver update was released in april 15th, 2020.), So, is it really a bios issue?

And I just noticed something else, in odyssey when I was in the menu the gpu clock speed was at 1900+ mhz, And in game benchmark was at 1890mhz, And I used to get ( Like a month ago) a much higher fps in this game. And I saw some youtube video on odyssey, A youtuber used very high settings, with a rtx 2060, and got about 100 fps, and I am getting 52fps, The performance in every game I have in my pc is just like this, I am getting half fps in every game.

a.png

b.png

Report_2020-05-23_9-17.html

17 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Update: I successfully updated my bios to 12c, After the update I ran a benchmark and the temperatures were below 70 the whole time, it was a great thing, I always played my games at 80, now the problem is the fps got lower it's now below 40. 

Screenshot_(22).png

Report_2020-05-22_12-44.html

I installed Battlefield 5 and matched my setting with a youtube benchmark video, And That video had 75+ fps and I am only getting 45fps. And I updated all of my drivers, bios and reinstalled windows again. 

Screenshot_(11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

1 hour ago, Arman Afridi said:

I installed Battlefield 5 and matched my setting with a youtube benchmark video, And That video had 75+ fps and I am only getting 45fps. And I updated all of my drivers, bios and reinstalled windows again. 

Screenshot (12).png

First of all YouTube benchmarks aren't really ideal for you to be comparing your system too, they will have different components and drivers, there are way to many variables to think you're going to get exactly what they are isn't a great idea. Second, you have ray tracing/dxr enabled in battlefield what happens to your FPS when you disable that?

Have you tried using DDU and then reinstalling your graphics drivers?

Is your 8GB of memory a single module or dual kit? 1x8GB or 2x4GB? If it is only one stick you're going to be running single channel which isn't the best for gaming, let alone 8GB of memory playing these newer AAA titles is going to cause a performance impact.

Your Rivatuner is showing your GPU at 96% usage in both titles with your CPU usage going from 50% to 70% and even up to 100%, that's a lot of fluctuation in the CPU. Did you check for any chipset or  other important drivers while on the motherboards manufacturer support page?

9 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

First of all YouTube benchmarks aren't really ideal for you to be comparing your system too, they will have different components and drivers, there are way to many variables to think you're going to get exactly what they are isn't a great idea. Second, you have ray tracing/dxr enabled in battlefield what happens to your FPS when you disable that?

Have you tried using DDU and then reinstalling your graphics drivers?

Is your 8GB of memory a single module or dual kit? 1x8GB or 2x4GB? If it is only one stick you're going to be running single channel which isn't the best for gaming, let alone 8GB of memory playing these newer AAA titles is going to cause a performance impact.

Your Rivatuner is showing your GPU at 96% usage in both titles with your CPU usage going from 50% to 70% and even up to 100%, that's a lot of fluctuation in the CPU. Did you check for any chipset or  other important drivers while on the motherboards manufacturer support page?

No, I have 16 gb of ram  2 x 8gb. I used ddu to reinstall nvidia's latest drivers. Later I found out they removed the latest driver, so I installed the version before it. And yes I installed every up to date drivers from Gigabyte's support page. 

23 minutes ago, Arman Afridi said:

No, I have 16 gb of ram  2 x 8gb. I used ddu to reinstall nvidia's latest drivers. Later I found out they removed the latest driver, so I installed the version before it. And yes I installed every up to date drivers from Gigabyte's support page. 

I gained about 10-15fps after turning it on, And you are right sometimes the cpu usage was at 80% and 90% for a second. But it never happened in my pc before. It started happening this month, All I did was I installed zoom, joined some video calls, used Adobe Illustrator and didn't play any game for a week. That's it. And  ones I started playing again, this happens

Screenshot_(16).png

Screenshot_(17).png

Screenshot_(20).png

• 4 months later...

Have you fixed this issue? I have the exact same one. I did a post here if you are interested.
Could be a motherboard issue? This is the only thing we have in common.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, killyx said:

Have you fixed this issue? I have the exact same one. I did a post here if you are interested.
Could be a motherboard issue? This is the only thing we have in common.

Mine was fixed after the driver + windows update. Now, my card still runs hot(not that hot, stays below 80) , it's not a good card on thermals, but the fps issue is fixed though I only play warzone, valorant, cs and rocket league now. 

21 hours ago, Arman Afridi said:

Mine was fixed after the driver + windows update. Now, my card still runs hot(not that hot, stays below 80) , it's not a good card on thermals, but the fps issue is fixed though I only play warzone, valorant, cs and rocket league now. 

Damn.. I called a replacement on my motherboard and my cpu to see.. But I'm in the same boat as you were, with a 9900k and a 3080..