Apple releases iOS 12.4.7, iOS 13.5, iPadOS 13.5, tvOS 13.4.5 updates

AshRiver
4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Yes.  You want to end wide-scale lockdowns once and for all?  You need extensive contact tracing so that infected people can be quickly isolated and prevent the virus from getting out of control.  Again, this doesn't mean that agencies should have carte blanche to violate privacy, but insisting on an all-or-nothing approach that threatens thousands of lives and prolongs lockdowns?  No thanks -- I'm not going to send legions of people to the hospital out of stubbornness.

And to follow on your reply to xtroria... people make sacrifices for total strangers all the time.  You avoid having more than one or two drinks before you drive because you don't want to risk hurting someone.  You pay taxes for services that you never use because they ultimately help everyone.  I don't know about you, but I find that making a small (emphasis on small), temporary sacrifice to privacy is worthwhile if it means that thousands more people still have parents, partners and children when this is all over.

And not to turn this into a virus thread, but the consequences of the virus go well beyond dying.  You can end up with permanent lung damage.  People have lost limbs due to complications.  And even if you don't go to hospital, you can spend weeks fighting what feels like the worst fever you'll have in your entire life.  If you don't mind inflicting that kind of suffering on others simply because you don't feel like using an app, go ahead and be intransigent.

Contact tracing is a useless bullshit function that will never work. Get one person infected with a virus through a major airport and by the time you manage to just trace back everyone who has been infected, contact them and get them to quarantine, half of the world will be already infected. What's the fucking point of tracing anything at that point? I however can't walk past the privacy liability such crap brings. With privacy, immediate response isn't required unlike for virus. You don't want a footprint of any kind trailing behind you and someone potentially abusing it in any way shape or form. And it's been endlessly proven that even anonymous things can be traced with enough data points. I don't want this shit anywhere near me. It helps nothing, it puts a lot at risk.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Contact tracing is a useless bullshit function that will never work. Get one person infected with a virus through a major airport and by the time you manage to just trace back everyone who has been infected, contact them and get them to quarantine, half of the world will be already infected. What's the fucking point of tracing anything at that point? I however can't walk past the privacy liability such crap brings. With privacy, immediate response isn't required unlike for virus. You don't want a footprint of any kind trailing behind you and someone potentially abusing it in any way shape or form. And it's been endlessly proven that even anonymous things can be traced with enough data points. I don't want this shit anywhere near me. It helps nothing, it puts a lot at risk.

That's just not true.

Part of why South Korea and a few other countries have been so effective in containing the virus is that they enacted extensive contact tracing.  They had a much better idea of who to isolate.  Even if you can't notify everyone, you can still notify some of them, and that reduces the chances for the virus to spread.

Besides, if we take your all-or-nothing approach to its logical endpoint, why bother having lockdowns when people still get infected?  Throw the gates wide open, get used to seeing neighbors being carried out with stretchers or bodybags on a daily basis.  "But that's unreasonable," you say?  So is saying that there's no point to contact tracing if you can't alert absolutely everyone.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

That's just not true.

Part of why South Korea and a few other countries have been so effective in containing the virus is that they enacted extensive contact tracing.  They had a much better idea of who to isolate.  Even if you can't notify everyone, you can still notify some of them, and that reduces the chances for the virus to spread.

Besides, if we take your all-or-nothing approach to its logical endpoint, why bother having lockdowns when people still get infected?  Throw the gates wide open, get used to seeing neighbors being carried out with stretchers or bodybags on a daily basis.  "But that's unreasonable," you say?  So is saying that there's no point to contact tracing if you can't alert absolutely everyone.

I'm more worried by the fact we can make all this technological shit and then one dumb virus comes and whole society collapses. And this virus isn't even anything particularly sophisticated or seriously deadly. That's far more worrying. It tells me all our scientific and technological advancements are worth dick. Like, literally.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm more worried by the fact we can make all this technological shit and then one dumb virus comes and whole society collapses. And this virus isn't even anything particularly sophisticated or seriously deadly. That's far more worrying. It tells me all our scientific and technological advancements are worth dick. Like, literally.

I don't think it's that they're worthless, it's that we don't develop for the long term and the greater good as much as we should.  We make gadgets and write apps as if life will always be on an even keel, like there will never be a pandemic, a major earthquake or even a sustained power outage.  We've had ever more sophisticated personalization for music and movies for years, but we had to scramble to build a framework that lets us know if we've been exposed to a potentially fatal disease.

And to some extent, this is a reminder that us humans aren't some special, privileged species.  COVID-19 doesn't care about religion or ethnicity.  It doesn't care that you drive a luxury car or have a wide vocabulary.  It's just a bunch of RNA trying to spread, and humans just happen to be suitable hosts.

The fact that apple is also included 12.4.7 update here is commendable that means this update includes:

iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPod touch 6th generation

Note for them to support older devices they would need to push out a iOS 9.4 update.

Yes all devices that can run iOS 10 can run iOS 12.

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

-snip-

People deciding not to drunk drive is more out of concern for themselves getting injured or into legal trouble. And I don't care about lockdowns or any such nonsense, so them ending them doesn't really matter. if I get harassed by the cops while out on a walk or having a party with my friends or something I'll hand them a copy of the bill of rights and tell them to fuck off, then they'll probably just shoot me or something because American cops give less of a fuck than I do when it comes to strangers lmao

48 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

People deciding not to drunk drive is more out of concern for themselves getting injured or into legal trouble. And I don't care about lockdowns or any such nonsense, so them ending them doesn't really matter. if I get harassed by the cops while out on a walk or having a party with my friends or something I'll hand them a copy of the bill of rights and tell them to fuck off, then they'll probably just shoot me or something because American cops give less of a fuck than I do when it comes to strangers lmao

When you get the virus (and you will with that behaviour), will you promise to be enthusiastic no matter what happens to you or people you know, since you clearly feel there's no serious problem?  "Gosh, it sure is dandy that I spent three weeks in hospital and permanently lost a third of my lung capacity!"

Please, just respect that this is a very real threat and that you won't get to resume even a shred of normal life until it's safe enough to end lockdowns.  This isn't a civil rights issue; it's a basic safety issue.  Contact tracing apps could mean the difference between actually participating in public life again and having to figure out what you haven't watched on Netflix.

When you get the virus (and you will with that behaviour), will you promise to be enthusiastic no matter what happens to you or people you know, since you clearly feel there's no serious problem?  "Gosh, it sure is dandy that I spent three weeks in hospital and permanently lost a third of my lung capacity!"

Please, just respect that this is a very real threat and that you won't get to resume even a shred of normal life until it's safe enough to end lockdowns.  This isn't a civil rights issue; it's a basic safety issue.  Contact tracing apps could mean the difference between actually participating in public life again and having to figure out what you haven't watched on Netflix.

Well, to be honest with you I'm actually somewhat enjoying the lockdown because there's less traffic and less people outside when I go hiking lol. If I get CV so be it. I doubt I would be permanently injured or killed by it seeing as I'm a healthy white man in my 20s, but if I am so be it. I'm not going to live one bit of my life in undue fear. If you want to cower inside for the next year or give up your privacy, that's your decision to make. My body, my choice.

If only there were some other form of non-passcode identification. Something quick and convenient, that didn't require the user to look at their phone. One can only dream, I suppose 

That's an F in the profile pic

6 hours ago, SeriousDad69 said:

Well, to be honest with you I'm actually somewhat enjoying the lockdown because there's less traffic and less people outside when I go hiking lol. If I get CV so be it. I doubt I would be permanently injured or killed by it seeing as I'm a healthy white man in my 20s, but if I am so be it. I'm not going to live one bit of my life in undue fear. If you want to cower inside for the next year or give up your privacy, that's your decision to make. My body, my choice.

i sure hope you dont live with your family, plan to see your family or be in contact with anyone else. YOU might be fine, can you say the same for your loved ones and friends?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 5/20/2020 at 6:54 PM, TempestCatto said:

So is iOS security still fucked?

Ah that “iOS security is fucked” accusation post from earlier Based on that exploit company thing.  that had problems to start with.  Actually fucked? Never happened compared to other phone OSes, though definitely in danger.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 hours ago, SeriousDad69 said:

Here's the problem: unless you live a completely solitary existence, it's not just "your body, your choice" in this case.  You're also saying you'll threaten the lives of everyone around you.  Remember, the virus takes up to 14 days to incubate, and some cases are asymptomatic; you could get your whole family sick and not even realize you were infected.  The only way we get through this until there's a vaccine or treatment is if people like you grow up and consider lives beyond your own.

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

Here's the problem: unless you live a completely solitary existence, it's not just "your body, your choice" in this case.  You're also saying you'll threaten the lives of everyone around you.  Remember, the virus takes up to 14 days to incubate, and some cases are asymptomatic; you could get your whole family sick and not even realize you were infected.  The only way we get through this until there's a vaccine or treatment is if people like you grow up and consider lives beyond your own.

If someone feels threatened by my mere presence, they should tell me to leave(if they own the property), go somewhere else, or stay home lol. I'm not waving a gun around, nor am I purposely coughing on anyone. I'm living life normally, not on the terms of the feeble and scared or the mini dictators in various local and state Governments.

If you have a problem with that, I'm not against you staying inside for the rest of your life ordering fast food and watching Netflix all day while I go hiking and exercising without a mask on.

6 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

I'm not against you staying inside for the rest of your life ordering fast food and watching Netflix all day

Uncalled for. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

15 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

If someone feels threatened by my mere presence, they should tell me to leave(if they own the property), go somewhere else, or stay home lol. I'm not waving a gun around, nor am I purposely coughing on anyone. I'm living life normally, not on the terms of the feeble and scared or the mini dictators in various local and state Governments.

If you have a problem with that, I'm not against you staying inside for the rest of your life ordering fast food and watching Netflix all day while I go hiking and exercising without a mask on.

You... don't understand how viruses work.  You don't have to do anything intentional to get someone else sick.  And you can pretend to live life normally all you want, but the virus won't care; it'll happily ruin your life all the same.

The sad thing is knowing that you'll eventually grow out of this and start caring about people besides yourself... you'll swear you're fine, that you don't need to change, but you will.  Hopefully it doesn't take spending weeks in hospital to come to that realization.  For now, why not just accept contact tracing apps so you can at least find out if you've been exposed?

You... don't understand how viruses work.  You don't have to do anything intentional to get someone else sick.  And you can pretend to live life normally all you want, but the virus won't care; it'll happily ruin your life all the same.

The sad thing is knowing that you'll eventually grow out of this and start caring about people besides yourself... you'll swear you're fine, that you don't need to change, but you will.  Hopefully it doesn't take spending weeks in hospital to come to that realization.  For now, why not just accept contact tracing apps so you can at least find out if you've been exposed?

I understand how viruses work, quit being obtuse. I understand the risk to myself and others, and weighing it against staying inside and becoming a Netflix zombie or sacrificing even an ounce of my privacy, I've decided it's a worthwhile risk to take. I'm an American, in the past we've done far more for far less.

7 hours ago, SeriousDad69 said:

I understand how viruses work, quit being obtuse. I understand the risk to myself and others, and weighing it against staying inside and becoming a Netflix zombie or sacrificing even an ounce of my privacy, I've decided it's a worthwhile risk to take. I'm an American, in the past we've done far more for far less.

Did the people you come close to volunteer to take that risk?

Again, please grow up and think about people besides yourself.  You don't have to stay inside all day, but actually respect distancing rules.  Your desire to be free doesn't override others' rights to stay alive.  And, for that matter, don't treat a privacy-oriented contact tracing API as an egregious violation of privacy.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:54 PM, TempestCatto said:

So is iOS security still fucked?

Nah, it's screwed now.

Anyone noticed the iOS 12.4.7 update is for iPhone 5s? A phone launched in 2013... 7 years old phone still getting updates. Wishful thinking on any Android lmao