MS Office Alternative?

I've been looking around for a free alternative to Microsoft Office suites for my general student work. Words, PowerPoint, and Excel. I was wondering if anybody knows a good alternative?

I heard LibraOffice and Open Office are a good choice, but I wanna know what this forum of tech lovers have in mind.

Open Office is my go-to. Google has great free ones built into them as well. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, AsrielDewitt52 said:

I've been looking around for a free alternative to Microsoft Office suites for my general student work. Words, PowerPoint, and Excel. I was wondering if anybody knows a good alternative?

I heard LibraOffice and Open Office are a good choice, but I wanna know what this forum of tech lovers have in mind.

Generally I just use the Google office suite. Google Docs, Slides and Spreadsheets.

But LibreOffice is fine too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You can also ask a family member or other persons if they have Office 365. Most people do not know you can add 5 "family" members that can use the full office then. (they lifted device limits and now its per ms account)

WPS Office looks the closest to MS Office, to me at least, but I haven't used it much, so I don't know how well it compares to it.

I believe MS Office has an online version that is possibly free, otherwise you have Google variants which are free, but are also online. (No standalone app)

I use both Libreoffice and Office365 (free from my school as long as I'm a student there)

To be honest, I like Libreoffice more. The interface of the new Office (ribbon style I think they call it?) is frankly garbage to me, hard to find anything I want. While with libreoffice, just pop in the top menus and see all you need.

That said, for compatibility issues, whenever I need to send a word document, I usually just use Word, because I've noticed that even if I use the docx format with openoffice, sometimes the formatting of the page looks wrong when you open it in Word... And unfortunately, that's what most people in the "business" and education world, uses. That's why I also ask a lot if I can just send a PDF, that way I know that what I see is what they will see, no matter the software they use.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, James Evens said:

There is no. Nothing is fully compatible with MS office so just get MS office or fight with bugs and incompatibility down the road.

If you need a good alternative to word and powerpoint try LaTex.

wps office 

you'll be surprised ;) 

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

Really depends on what you want out of it specifically. All alternatives are fine for very general things, whether Libre, WPS, Google, etc...

However, if you want it for the purposes of actual compatibility, Libre might get you the closest for a suite of features, but there will always be compromises.

Gsuite is underrated, and Libreoffice is equally "powerful" (to MS Office), just less user-friendly and refined.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Google docs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Ten years ago in college, I used OpenOffice. The non-techie teachers were none too keen on grading my homework, though sending files in pdf usually killed off any excuses. Textbooks and tuition were expensive enough without adding a bloody Office license on top (this was before the subscription too, so full price for the student edition was at about $100). 

Even back then, Microsoft pretty much gave away Windows keys to anyone in courses remotely resembling anything computer related. But they were/are stingy AF about Office. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Google stuff is fine. That said, look into student licencing, IIRC theres's a deal for people with university emails

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Usually I use Google Drive. But the Apple iCloud Suite is pretty good too. 

The best alternative to Microsoft Office is... Microsoft Office Online, it's free and has all the features for personal use.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Gsuite is underrated, and Libreoffice is equally "powerful" (to MS Office), just less user-friendly and refined.

I found it so buggy, gotta use linux to have it work properly

2 minutes ago, Lakobrija said:

I found it so buggy, gotta use linux to have it work properly

Not sure why you wouldn't use real Office on Windows, lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If you are using it for school, I would stick to MS office for compatibility issues since docx files are pretty much universally used by larger organizations such as schools and business. Bonus is that the subscription comes with 1TB of cloud storage which is nice for offsite backups, main reason that I use it.

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not sure why you wouldn't use real Office on Windows, lol

I really had to use LibreOffice, that was in school because professor also used it and make us use it

7 hours ago, James Evens said:

Tried them all.

LibreOffice is the worst and the best alternative is still not good enough.

here's the cold truth. if you are looking for something that behave the same as ms office, you are bound to be disappointed because none of the alternatives *are ms office.

Having saught ms office alternatives myself in the past here's what i can say.

In terms of offline compatibility, wps imo takes the crown. afaik it's the only ms alternative which can edit ms formats directly.

it's been a long while since i used libre so take these with a grain of salt: libre could convert its own formats into ms formats but the results weren't that great. formatting gets messed up happened all too often. it may have improved over the years but you'll have to assess yourself.

if you can accommondate online office suite, ms online is no doubt the most compatible. even so it has a smaller function set and also due to browser limitation, you should still be prepared to be frustrated at many turn.

google is the next best online alternative. it's much snappier and conversion to ms formats is miles above that of libre (of the past).

so.. the biggest take away is this. either tone down your expectation and put in the effort to learn the quirks of an alternative (and you may end up liking the alternative ;) ), or fork out the money to get a student version of ms office or source it another way somehow.

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

2 hours ago, Lakobrija said:

I really had to use LibreOffice, that was in school because professor also used it and make us use it

imo that's better than forcing you to use ms office which practically everyone does

<'><  <'><  <'><

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Libreoffice is really good. Get the latest version, it pretty much does everything now.

13 hours ago, willies leg said:

Libreoffice is really good. Get the latest version, it pretty much does everything now.

How's the UI stuff? Because I'm sooo used to the ribbon design