Sound Dampening Material

MetalLobster

I have a system that I'm really happy with, however some improvement in terms of noise is due. I've already considered using quiet fans, rubber grommets and washers but I feel like I could do more.

I found this (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811999222) on newegg and I'm wondering if anyone has used this. If you have, please tell me what you think about and if you are encountering any problems with it.

With your feedback, I'm hoping to decide whether to get this or a quiet case, such as the Fractal Design define R4. I currently own a HAF 912.

Thanks!

Edit: Please ignore that fact that I've put this in the wrong forum >.<

Fractal define R4 could be a better long term investment, as it is a really nice case. If I were you I would just get that :)

thanks,

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Fractal define R4 could be a better long term investment, as it is a really nice case. If I were you I would just get that :)

thanks,

Hmm I don't know if I can agree 100% on that, because the price difference between sound damping material and this case is huge! I can buy a new hard drive with the difference. I also haven't seen the case myself, so I can't make any judgement on it's build quality, thickness of the form and such.

Maybe if a competitor releases a case similar to the R4 for slightly less, I may re-consider.

thanks,

To me, it's the fact that it's got the sound dampening in it already, really good, quiet fans, it's reasonable easy to cable manage and is very high quality. That's my reasoning, only you can decide :)

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

thanks,

You're right about that, but I have fans and good cable management via my HAF 912. I kind of wish I went with the R4 instead =/

I personally haven't had any experience with sound dampening material, but it's worth a shot before you invest a good chunk of money into a new case. Even if it doesn't help, you can use it for other purposes. Maybe for asthetics. :D

You've considered using quiet fans and grommets, but have you actually used them? They should make a significant difference. After that, I would consider removing all mechanical/optical drives and swap with SSDs. Then maybe look at sound dampening material. They do work but they also increase system temps, which is something you have to factor in.

You've considered using quiet fans and grommets, but have you actually used them? They should make a significant difference. After that, I would consider removing all mechanical/optical drives and swap with SSDs. Then maybe look at sound dampening material. They do work but they also increase system temps, which is something you have to factor in.
Half my fans have rubber grommets and I have seen the difference it makes. I have 1TB of data, so to hell with swapping all my HDDs to SDD.

I will definitely take note of my system temps before buying sound dampening material, thanks for pointing that out.

These guys sell all sorts of stuff to silence your PC

They have double and triple layer foam, as well as rubber gaskets for fans and mounting equipment, check them out!

http://www.quietpc.com/caseaccessories

Thanks! Sadly, it's in the UK and I'm Canadian but it's definitely worth looking around.

noppenschuim.jpg

use this stuff. it is more effective and is cheaper in your local hardware store.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

I am not sure on your budget. Acoustic foam would be better than what you are looking at in your earlier post. However acoustical foam is rather thick and will absorb heat into itself. If your problem is noise from the fans, you can always cut out fan mesh to allow more even flow of air and lowering the distortion.