Upgrading my current build to support thunderbolt 3. Need opinions/suggestions.

Budget: Up to $2000 (CAD) for any new components (internal parts or external harddrives necessary)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4K Video Editing (Prores 4444 footage). I typically edit with Premiere Pro, After Effects, and occasionally Media Composer.

Other details: For a few years now my current build has served me well however recently I have noticed that playback and rendering of effects has become increasingly slower and have resulted in a few software crashes which slows down my workflow. I suspect one solution could be to purchase faster external media drives, as I am currently working off your standard LaCie, Seagate, WD external HDDs but I was wondering if I should focus on upgrading anything else. I would like to consider building a raid sometime with thunderbolt 3 support sometime in the future so I'd like to maybe begin with purchasing an asrock x570 mobo and upgrading other components to fit with that. For now though, I'd like to see what I can do without having to invest in a pricey raid system. So I guess what I need is some opinions on my current, dated build and suggestions on what would be the components that are in most need of an upgrade. Anything helps, and thanks in advance.

Current Build: 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($485.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($104.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($184.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card  ($1299.00 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Deepcool KENDOMEN ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($154.99 @ Memory Express) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($139.75 @ shopRBC) 
Custom: HP S700 Pro 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Custom: AMD Wraith Spire RGB LED Light Socket AM4 4-Pin Connector CPU Cooler With Copper Core Base & Aluminum Heatsink & 3.81-Inch Fan 
Total: $2484.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-16 10:58 EDT-0400

no thunder bolt for amd desktop as far as im aware

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

32 minutes ago, Librarycard said:

Budget: Up to $2000 (CAD) for any new components (internal parts or external harddrives necessary)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4K Video Editing (Prores 4444 footage). I typically edit with Premiere Pro, After Effects, and occasionally Media Composer.

Other details: For a few years now my current build has served me well however recently I have noticed that playback and rendering of effects has become increasingly slower and have resulted in a few software crashes which slows down my workflow. I suspect one solution could be to purchase faster external media drives, as I am currently working off your standard LaCie, Seagate, WD external HDDs but I was wondering if I should focus on upgrading anything else. I would like to consider building a raid sometime with thunderbolt 3 support sometime in the future so I'd like to maybe begin with purchasing an asrock x570 mobo and upgrading other components to fit with that. For now though, I'd like to see what I can do without having to invest in a pricey raid system. So I guess what I need is some opinions on my current, dated build and suggestions on what would be the components that are in most need of an upgrade. Anything helps, and thanks in advance.

Current Build: 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($485.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($104.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($184.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card  ($1299.00 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Deepcool KENDOMEN ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($154.99 @ Memory Express) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($139.75 @ shopRBC) 
Custom: HP S700 Pro 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Custom: AMD Wraith Spire RGB LED Light Socket AM4 4-Pin Connector CPU Cooler With Copper Core Base & Aluminum Heatsink & 3.81-Inch Fan 
Total: $2484.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-16 10:58 EDT-0400

Get an extra internal ssd and copy the data over to it? Or get like an external ssd (I recommend a diy solution for this where you get a casing and a regular sata ssd).

I don't really know why you'd try to fix this with a raid system as a regular old ssd isn't going to be bottlenecking your video editing. Also you can't get thunderbolt on amd.

Start with that and also what's your cpu useage? If it's pinned at 100% just upgrade that one then.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Get an extra internal ssd and copy the data over to it? Or get like an external ssd (I recommend a diy solution for this where you get a casing and a regular sata ssd).

I don't really know why you'd try to fix this with a raid system as a regular old ssd isn't going to be bottlenecking your video editing. Also you can't get thunderbolt on amd.

Start with that and also what's your cpu useage? If it's pinned at 100% just upgrade that one then.

I was looking into an external ssd but the thing is my media folders are usually up to 3tb, and I tend to work on a few projects at a time so ideally I'd want 8tb of storage. The max ssd space I was able to find is 2tb and I dont think just buying a bunch of 2tb ssd's would be an effective solution. In terms of the thunderbolt amd situation, dont some asrock x570 mobo's support both thunderbolt aic cards and ryzen cpu? 

11 minutes ago, Librarycard said:

I was looking into an external ssd but the thing is my media folders are usually up to 3tb, and I tend to work on a few projects at a time so ideally I'd want 8tb of storage. The max ssd space I was able to find is 2tb and I dont think just buying a bunch of 2tb ssd's would be an effective solution. In terms of the thunderbolt amd situation, dont some asrock x570 mobo's support both thunderbolt aic cards and ryzen cpu? 

Just so you know but a raid 0 of hdds is not worth it what so ever due to a huge chance of dataloss and well barely any better performance in what matters which is random reads (usually it's even negative). So pretty much all you can do is get multiple ssds.

Yes there are a couple x570 boards that have thunderbolt but they won't work for you as your cpu is not supported by them.

2 hours ago, Tech_Enthusiast123 said:

I think if you can move to a 2nd gen cpu it would be better..

The weird thing is though that when I'm working on my most "intensive" projects my cpu usage rarely ever goes over 60%. The thing that maxes out to 100% usually is the drive on which the media is on. Wouldn't that indicate that currently there isn't a need to replace the cpu, but rather the harddrive?

Hi all. 

Just joined so first post. 

Excellent thread for what im planning. 

I work in professional TV and am about to build a new rig mainly for Video editing. Been scouring the web for ideas and came across this thread so thought i might add my 2 cents. 

Librarycard - I too was considering a Ryzen build but you mentioned Avid Media composer? I know you mainly use PP and AE but Avid may play up on AMD... My issue is they only support Intel at the moment. Sure it may run fine on an AMD system but over on the Avid forums a few people have had issues with AMD. Have been in contact with AVID and they are considering looking at AMD in the future but no timeline. 

My question to any out there is do you think the i9 9900k is a decent buy right now or should i go to the i9 10980xe? 

The thunderbolt is a major reason for staying intel given a lot of my pro video peripherals are thunderbolt 3. Big video needs a fast pipe. 

I know the intel chips are so far behind Ryzen its not even a race but should still be good enough for what i do. 

Im thinking of going for 2 x M.2 1tb drives. One as my operating system and general PC drive and 1 as my main 4k editing drive. Will then have 6tb of ssd's as my HD and offloading drives. 

Will follow with interest.