Upgrade GPU with new releases coming?

Sinsanatis

I have been thinking of upgrading my gpu to a 1660 super, but ive been hearing about how the rtx 3000 series are maybe releasing soon. so with the new releases the older gpus should drop in price. however idk when they are coming out and if i have the patience to wait. so anyone in the know of release dates, advice, or input would be appreciated.

Do you need a new card now or not?  That should always be the determining factor at the end of a product cycle.  Once new cards come out, the supply of existing will shrink so the window for a discount will be small.  However, the used market will be flooded with higher end cards for the same price as a new 1660.  For example, when the 2080 Ti launched, you could find a decent used 1080 Ti for $400 on Ebay.  I would expect the same this time around.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

3 hours ago, Xplo1t said:

Do you need a new card now or not?  That should always be the determining factor at the end of a product cycle.  Once new cards come out, the supply of existing will shrink so the window for a discount will be small.  However, the used market will be flooded with higher end cards for the same price as a new 1660.  For example, when the 2080 Ti launched, you could find a decent used 1080 Ti for $400 on Ebay.  I would expect the same this time around.

well i mean needs vs wants. at the moment i am running a rx 570 and as u can imagine its not the strongest card. its decent but im still in the constant phase of lowering and tweaking settings to push fps as much as i can. and after a bit of looking around, i declared the 1660 super as prob the best choice of upgrade in terms of price to performance and budget.

What's your gaming resolution? If it's 1080p 60fps then i'll just wait for a new generation, because the 570 can still game on 1080p high settings with a few tweaks. Then, once the new series card launches, upgrade accordingly to your needs. I'll personally make the jump to 1440p 75fps gaming with the next generation card (i'm using a 1060, a similar card to yours.)

On 5/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, Promosss said:

What's your gaming resolution? If it's 1080p 60fps then i'll just wait for a new generation, because the 570 can still game on 1080p high settings with a few tweaks. Then, once the new series card launches, upgrade accordingly to your needs. I'll personally make the jump to 1440p 75fps gaming with the next generation card (i'm using a 1060, a similar card to yours.)

1080p but i like to try to push up to 144fps as much as i can most of the time. so even though the rx 570 is nice, its not really strong enough for my use case. im also 100% fine with staying with 1080p. 1440p would prob be way down the line but regardless i see no reason to go up as i would have to buy a new monitor and the gpu power required would scale up, in turn, making me get an EVEN BETTER gpu to compensate.

If they launch the way they did rtx2000 series your gonna be waiting a while for the lower tier cards to come out. The 2060 didn’t come out til January of 2019 if I remember correctly I bought it right after my birthday. 

They always drop the expensive cards first to snag up the money then the lower cards trickle out over time. 

I see your looking at a 1660 super, the replacements for those will probably be the last cards to get released 

The only way I’d buy a card now is if you absolutely need it or if you get a sweet deal on something that you can’t pass up. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 5/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, Gohardgrandpa said:

If they launch the way they did rtx2000 series your gonna be waiting a while for the lower tier cards to come out. The 2060 didn’t come out til January of 2019 if I remember correctly I bought it right after my birthday. 

They always drop the expensive cards first to snag up the money then the lower cards trickle out over time. 

I see your looking at a 1660 super, the replacements for those will probably be the last cards to get released 

The only way I’d buy a card now is if you absolutely need it or if you get a sweet deal on something that you can’t pass up. 

well im not exactly looking for a new mid tier card. but to get the 1660 super specifically. or if something within the same budget range offers better performance. as of right now like the asus tuf gaming oc is at 230 usd which i believe is msrp. im not familiar with how it all works so im wondering if that price would possibly drop with the release of the new gpus or is it basically the best im gona get unless theres a specific deal or sale.