PCIe Hot Swap destroyed Motherboard?

Hello Forum,

I wanted to install and configure pfSense (open-source firewall) on my old PC. The problem is that the CPU doesn't have onboard graphics and I only have one PCIe slot because the motherboard is ITX form factor. So I used AMD Radeon dedicated GPU but then I was asked to install the second network interface (TP Link Network Card). That means that the GPU has to be removed in order to install another PCIe card. So I possibly did something very stupid and hot-swapped the two cards in order to try a blind configuration with only following tutorial steps and pressing keys. After I removed the network card and installed the GPU again, CPU and case fans are running, even GPU fan is running. But no boot signal and no picture. I removed every component except CPU but it still won't give any signal that RAM is missing. Does it mean that the motherboard is dead?

You could attempt a BIOS reset then try it with the GPU back in place. 
Just don't get your hopes up.

Here's the fool-proof way of how to do it:

The basics of it is to remove the CMOS battery for about a minute then pop it back in.

You want to make sure ALL power to the system has been disabled BEFORE doing anything with the battery so just unplug it from the wall first and only plug it back in AFTER the battery has been reinstalled.
You will have to reset things in the BIOS since it's a total clearing of it but if it gets you going again, count youself VERY lucky.

Note that when it says to "Install" something that doesn't mean a physical swap of components, it would mean to install the software for it.

After that, powering down the system THEN swapping the components out while it's still off is what to do.

After restarting the system with the card you want in the slot the OS itself would detect it and use the software you just installed to get it going on it's own in most cases. It is best to go ahead and have the card or whatever already installed but in your case it would work like that if it's going to at all.
Trying to do such blind is just that, chances are you 'll never get very far doing that.

BTW I don't understand why you are setting it up for use with two PCI-E components when you only have one PCI-E slot to even use.
Installing it along with a CPU with onboard graphics - That would make sense at least but as you said yourself, you don't and there is no indication you have one onhand either. 

You must have a board with at least two PCI-E slots for it to work with both, the GPU and networking card as is.

Also:

Unless something specifically says it's hot-swappable, DON'T and even then in many cases there are certain things you have to do before trying it related to the setup.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Okay I removed the CMOS battery and after some time I inserted it again,  now even the PSU doesn't work 😂 So I officialy, possibly killed every component in my build... But still, many thanks for your long and helpful answer.

I doubt you killed everything.  But the Logic Board, GPU, and NIC are probably toast. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

3 hours ago, jimmy.it.is said:

Okay I removed the CMOS battery and after some time I inserted it again,  now even the PSU doesn't work 😂 So I officialy, possibly killed every component in my build... But still, many thanks for your long and helpful answer.

You gotta live to learn and this is one such example.

As the poster above said you probrably toasted the GPU, board and networking card you was wanting to use. 🥴

I'd suggest getting a board with at least as many PCI-E slots as you need, that would be of use to you.
Just remember to always have the machine powered down before removing/swapping stuff around and you'll do fine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.