Questions about getting nvme m2 ssd for my custom build desktop

AshRiver

Hello

Ryzen 7 3rd gen 3700x 8 core 16 thread

32gb ddr4 ram

4x sata drives + 1x optical drive

1x RX 590 

ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Motherboard ATX DDR4

I have never use NVMe m2 ssd ever in my life. I am planning to get this Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 MVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-Nand Technology black/red to replace my main SATA SSD because my main 250GB SATA SSD is short on storage. The thing is my motherboard has two M.2 slots. One located below the cpu/above the gpu, and the second one below the gpu near the X470 chipset. Where do I install this drive? I heard that NVMe disable some SATA ports if I install below the GPU near the chipset? 

Second, this Samsung 970 EVO interface is PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3. My mobo specs only allow to take PCIE 3.0 X 2 mode near the chipset, and PCIE 3.0 X4 below the cpu, above the gpu. Does this mean if I install this Samsung 970 EVO below the gpu/near the X470 chipset result not going to get Samsung advertised speed of 3,500 MB/s Read and 2,500 MB/s write? 

Thanks for the help, guys.

chrome_nXmN43XEgp.thumb.png.fad6aa37b49f9896898e70be9ea19fc6.png

ok so to answer your first question, you can install it on any m.2 port that has the right key.  Most likely that particular boards m.2 slots are both for nvme drives so your fine.  The reason why m.2 ssd'd disable sata ports is becasue it uses pcie lanes which you have a limited amount of.  If you install it in the higher slot, your using the lanes from the cpu, if you install it in the lower slot, you are using lanes from the chipset.  I would install it in the top one so that it takes lanes from the cpu and not the chipset.  Sata ports run of off lanes from the chipset so if u install it in the upper slot you shouldnt have any sata ports disabled.  Second question, yes if you install the ssd in the lower slot you will not get the full theoretical preformance from your drive as it will be limited to 2 lanes instead of 4.  One last thing since this may sound confusing, your gpu takes 16 lanes, your cpu has x amount of lanes, onces the lanes run out from the cpu, thats it your out, you then have to rely on the chipset for lanes.  Sorry if this sounds confusing, im sure there is a video somewhere that explains it a bit better then i did.

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

11 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

ok so to answer your first question, you can install it on any m.2 port that has the right key.  Most likely that particular boards m.2 slots are both for nvme drives so your fine.  The reason why m.2 ssd'd disable sata ports is becasue it uses pcie lanes which you have a limited amount of.  If you install it in the higher slot, your using the lanes from the cpu, if you install it in the lower slot, you are using lanes from the chipset.  I would install it in the top one so that it takes lanes from the cpu and not the chipset.  Sata ports run of off lanes from the chipset so if u install it in the upper slot you shouldnt have any sata ports disabled.  Second question, yes if you install the ssd in the lower slot you will not get the full theoretical preformance from your drive as it will be limited to 2 lanes instead of 4.  One last thing since this may sound confusing, your gpu takes 16 lanes, your cpu has x amount of lanes, onces the lanes run out from the cpu, thats it your out, you then have to rely on the chipset for lanes.  Sorry if this sounds confusing, im sure there is a video somewhere that explains it a bit better then i did.

Thanks for the info, but questions

I don't understand this line you said, "One last thing since this may sound confusing, your gpu takes 16 lanes, your cpu has x amount of lanes, onces the lanes run out from the cpu, thats it your out, you then have to rely on the chipset for lanes. " So you are saying if I run multi gpu setup or any more one devices connect to PCIE slots on my mobo, I have to rely on the chipset for lanes? 

How much lanes does my 3700x has? 

13 hours ago, AshRiver said:

Thanks for the info, but questions

I don't understand this line you said, "One last thing since this may sound confusing, your gpu takes 16 lanes, your cpu has x amount of lanes, onces the lanes run out from the cpu, thats it your out, you then have to rely on the chipset for lanes. " So you are saying if I run multi gpu setup or any more one devices connect to PCIE slots on my mobo, I have to rely on the chipset for lanes? 

How much lanes does my 3700x has? 

the 3700x has 24 pcie gen 4 lanes.  Like i said earlier, you only have so many lanes.  If a gpu uses 16 lanes, then ur left with 8 from the cpu which would be used for drives or another gpu.  Here is a video i found that explains it a bit better.  Its a bit older but still relevant.  Dont worry about it being about intel as it still applys to amd.

https://youtu.be/JVihgHoy8Sg

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

On 5/12/2020 at 5:24 PM, xdeathshot20 said:

the 3700x has 24 pcie gen 4 lanes.  Like i said earlier, you only have so many lanes.  If a gpu uses 16 lanes, then ur left with 8 from the cpu which would be used for drives or another gpu.  Here is a video i found that explains it a bit better.  Its a bit older but still relevant.  Dont worry about it being about intel as it still applys to amd.

https://youtu.be/JVihgHoy8Sg

Is Samsung 970 EVO reliable?

7 hours ago, AshRiver said:

Is Samsung 970 EVO reliable?

i personally have never had any issues with my Samsung ssd's.  I have 2 of them and they still run like they did when i first installed them.  So i would say yea they should be pretty reliable 

9 hours ago, xdeathshot20 said:

i personally have never had any issues with my Samsung ssd's.  I have 2 of them and they still run like they did when i first installed them.  So i would say yea they should be pretty reliable 

Do you have good reliable nvme drive alternative to Samsung 970 evo?

11 hours ago, AshRiver said:

Do you have good reliable nvme drive alternative to Samsung 970 evo?

i dont personally have any m.2 drives in my system.  Other companys that i would say would be either wd with the black series, crucial or even intel with the 660p

3 hours ago, xdeathshot20 said:

i dont personally have any m.2 drives in my system.  Other companys that i would say would be either wd with the black series, crucial or even intel with the 660p

Are these good and reliable?

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive R/W 3500/3000MB/s SSD (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C)

Gigabyte NVMe 1.3/M.2/PCIe 3.0x4/ 1TB SSD (GP-GSM2NE3100TNTD)

Inland Premium 1TB SSD 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive

On 5/20/2020 at 6:04 PM, AshRiver said:

Are these good and reliable?

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive R/W 3500/3000MB/s SSD (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C)

Gigabyte NVMe 1.3/M.2/PCIe 3.0x4/ 1TB SSD (GP-GSM2NE3100TNTD)

Inland Premium 1TB SSD 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive

pretty much all ssd's for the most part are gonna last the same amount of time.  Go by reviews and then make ur decision.