Old card nvdia's SLI question..

Zeky

I have a GTX770 from Gigabyte and was wondering if i buy another version of the same card (GTX 770 2gb) like Asus or MSI will i be able to use SLI AND wil i be able to overclock them seperatly?

Why sli? Even if it’s possible with that card, Apps have to be specially written to make use of it and few are these days so unless you have a particular piece of software you want to use and you know it works for it there’s a decent chance the second card will do nothing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yes you will be able to, but not sure how well they will function with different clock speeds. For Maxwell cards, they are automatically locked at same clock speeds anyways, it's probably better that way to reduce stutter etc.

However make sure you get the version with the same VRAM otherwise it will not work.

With that said, not sure how much use you'll be able to get out of them since the VRAM is quite limiting and not that many games support SLI nowadays. Unless you're looking to play some intensive DX11 titles, there are not that many DX12 titles that support SLI very well (research for your own usage case).

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Well I decide to upgrade my PC (ALL of it) so unless i find a 770 at 100$ I will wait for the launch of the RTX 3k series. I will start with the R3 3300X as soon as I can find one and i will probably take a X570 since de B550 is set for july and the x570 will give me the marge to upgrade to a bigger cpu in a year or 2. Until then I'm starting to watch for a new case (probably a phantek mesh) and buy a lot of noctua chroma black fan! hahaha

Thx for your answer !

5 hours ago, Zeky said:

Well I decide to upgrade my PC (ALL of it) so unless i find a 770 at 100$ I will wait for the launch of the RTX 3k series. I will start with the R3 3300X as soon as I can find one and i will probably take a X570 since de B550 is set for july and the x570 will give me the marge to upgrade to a bigger cpu in a year or 2. Until then I'm starting to watch for a new case (probably a phantek mesh) and buy a lot of noctua chroma black fan! hahaha

Thx for your answer !

Good luck! Not sure where you're from but where I am in Canada, you can get a 970 for about $100 to 150 CAD. I'd imagine a GTX 770 would be less.

The reason why SLI made sense for me is because I wouldn't ever hope to get this amount of performance increase by spending $250 - $300 on any single GPU (sell my current 970 and +100$). In addition, many of the games I play are DX11, I don't play that many brand new titles and I can get SLI to run in those games fairly well.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle