7.1 / Atmos avr + rtx card + HDR

Blue23kid

Hey guys, I have done a lot of research and now I need some help I have tried using an active display port to HDMI cable I have tried Arc I have tried going through my receiver my problem is the RTX card has one HDMI out I'm trying to get 4K HDR on my LG OLED with surround sound for cinematic games but I'm able to get a signal that supports that in my receiver so I'm trying to find a way to get both lossless visuals and lossless audio.

Sound cards I'm willing to buy if you know of one with HDMI because I can't find one. 

Can't use Mobo audio as I use a ryzen 7 

Optical is out because it only supports stereo 

Any help would be great

what receiver? that will depend if it supports full 4k hdr passthrough

audio should be fine . your receiver will play what ever format is sent to it. if not sounding right double check settings on it. you might have it set wrong

4k hdr wise now. hdmi 2.0 can only do max  4k hdr 444 8 bit 60hz (bandwidth issues) so even going dp to hdmi you have that bandwidth limit

you can do

4k hdr 442 10bit 60hz

4k hdr 444 10bit 30hz

i believe you go up to 12bit on the last 2 dont quote me on it

now another option you can do. you can run the dp to hdmi to tv for video and the other hdmi to receiver for sound or vice versa

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

what receiver? that will depend if it supports full 4k hdr passthrough

audio should be fine . your receiver will play what ever format is sent to it. if not sounding right double check settings on it. you might have it set wrong

4k hdr wise now. hdmi 2.0 can only do max  4k hdr 444 8 bit 60hz (bandwidth issues) so even going dp to hdmi you have that bandwidth limit

you can do

4k hdr 442 10bit 60hz

4k hdr 444 10bit 30hz

i believe you go up to 12bit on the last 2 dont quote me on it

now another option you can do. you can run the dp to hdmi to tv for video and the other hdmi to receiver for sound or vice versa

I read the manual of the AVR it supports the full HDMI 2.0b standard so I should be able to get 4:4:2 12 bit via Nvidia control panel and I swear I had it before and it will only allow 4:2:0 8 bit now. All cables are HDMI 2.1 (confirmed backwards compatible via HDMI website) so shouldn't be a bandwidth issue I also tried a display port to HDMI both on tv and avr I tried enabling and disabling g-sync as well 

huh did you try reinstalling your video drivers? or rolling back to ones that you know worked?

9 hours ago, circeseye said:

huh did you try reinstalling your video drivers? or rolling back to ones that you know worked?

I rolled back one driver and used DDU to clean install I'm short on time on weekdays might try to roll back by a few months and see if it is a driver issue. I just wish someone would make an audio card with an HDMI out.

I have an RTX 2080 Ti > Marantz SR6012 > LG B7 via HDMI, and Acer Predator X27 via DisplayPort. I run the HDMI at RGB 8-bit 60 Hz HDR with 5.1 LPCM and it works perfectly. What exactly is not working with your setup? I also bought this HDMI 2.0 EDID emulator so that the primary monitor doesn't cut out every time I switch on / off the AVR.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1351398-REG/apantac_edid_ew_h_all_in_one_edid.html

You don't need a 10-bit signal for HDR - that's only for sources that do not support dithering, like Blu-ray players and consoles. A PC does 10-bit to 8-bit dithering at the source so HDR works perfectly at RGB 8-bit without banding.

I have a 5.1.4 Atmos setup so I bitstream Atmos content to the AVR. When playing games that specifically support spatial sound, I switch on Dolby Atmos for home theatre in Windows. I leave it off otherwise because it adds latency and prevents Dolby Surround upmixing from working on the AVR.

Like other users, I have 0 issues with running surround (currently using a Bryston SP4 with 9.2.4 output) from a GPU HDMI output. (HDMI 2.0)

As circes has said, try multiple different drivers. Also check windows is outputting the proper format, and the AVR isn't doing any funky upmixing.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Monstieur said:

I have an RTX 2080 Ti > Marantz SR6012 > LG B7 via HDMI, and Acer Predator X27 via DisplayPort. I run the HDMI at RGB 8-bit 60 Hz HDR with 5.1 LPCM and it works perfectly. What exactly is not working with your setup? I also bought this HDMI 2.0 EDID emulator so that the primary monitor doesn't cut out every time I switch on / off the AVR.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1351398-REG/apantac_edid_ew_h_all_in_one_edid.html

You don't need a 10-bit signal for HDR - that's only for sources that do not support dithering, like Blu-ray players and consoles. A PC does 10-bit to 8-bit dithering at the source so HDR works perfectly at RGB 8-bit without banding.

I have a 5.1.4 Atmos setup so I bitstream Atmos content to the AVR. When playing games that specifically support spatial sound, I switch on Dolby Atmos for home theatre in Windows. I leave it off otherwise because it adds latency and prevents Dolby Surround upmixing from working on the AVR.

Yes this is almost identical to my setup! If I go from HDMI to AVR I get 4k 60hz 4:2:0 8 bit (windows won't launch HDR) or I can do 4k 30hz RGB 8bit and get HDR 

HOWEVER  if I plug into the tv directly I get the full 4k RGB 60hz 

It's a newest model pioneer vsx lx 304 

LG OLED c9

9 minutes ago, blue2kid3 said:

Yes this is almost identical to my setup! If I go from HDMI to AVR I get 4k 60hz 4:2:0 8 bit (windows won't launch HDR) or I can do 4k 30hz RGB 8bit and get HDR 

HOWEVER  if I plug into the tv directly I get the full 4k RGB 60hz 

It's a newest model pioneer vsx lx 304 

LG OLED c9

The VSX-LX304 specifications say 4K 60 Hz 24-bit is supported in passthrough mode. You may need to disable video processing / upscaling / conversion / de-interlacing on the AVR for it to update its EDID with the higher resolutions from the TV. When passthrough mode is working the AVR overlay will be disabled - it will not be able to overlay the GUI on top of the source video. When you press the menu button it should temporarily switch off the source video and change to a lower resolution to display the menu - that's how you know passthrough is working.

3 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

The VSX-LX304 specifications say 4K 60 Hz 24-bit is supported in passthrough mode. You may need to disable video processing / upscaling / conversion / de-interlacing on the AVR for it to update its EDID with the higher resolutions from the TV. When passthrough mode is working the AVR overlay will be disabled - it will not be able to overlay the GUI on top of the source video. When you press the menu button it should temporarily switch off the source video and change to a lower resolution to display the menu - that's how you know passthrough is working.

That's a pretty good idea I'm going to go ahead and give that a shot because I have been lately seeing that I think 1920 by 1080 is my native resolution I will report back when I get off of work tonight

5 hours ago, Monstieur said:

Okay now with more testing I did a factory reset on the avr, turned basically everything to off. I still can not get 4k 60 HDR buuuut I can still do 1080p 120 hz HDR........... I am so confused

Also try enabling HDMI Ultra HD deep colour on the TV for the HDMI ports. Keep trying settings on the AVR till you successfully get passthrough mode working - the overlay should not be shown when adjusting the volume etc.

The VSX-304 does not support passthrough on the AUX HDMI port.

Well I factory reset the tv, the pc and the AVR I tried turning off and on each setting at a time. For some reason I just cant get 4k 60 HDR to work on this thing I guess my options as far as I could see are to wait for Nvidia to have a card with 2 HDMI out. Or sell this AVR and never buy from pioneer again even if a comparable feature set AVR from denon is like 1200 USD

18 minutes ago, blue2kid3 said:

Well I factory reset the tv, the pc and the AVR I tried turning off and on each setting at a time. For some reason I just cant get 4k 60 HDR to work on this thing I guess my options as far as I could see are to wait for Nvidia to have a card with 2 HDMI out. Or sell this AVR and never buy from pioneer again even if a comparable feature set AVR from denon is like 1200 USD

At the minimum the AVR should passthrough 4K 60 Hz YCbCr420 10-bit, because that's what consoles and Blu-ray players use. Try to get that working first, then work on 4K 60 Hz RGB 8-bit.

You can also use the HDMI 2.0 port to connect to the TV directly, and use a cheap passive DisplayPort to HDMI 1.4 cable for audio to the AVR. I wouldn't like three displays connected in Windows though. Two displays cause enough problems when one of them is an invisible AVR just for audio.

I would get rid of the AVR and buy a Marantz or Denon with Audyssey MultEQ XT32. XT32 and Dynamic EQ are a must for sound quality.

14 hours ago, blue2kid3 said:

ok trying to think this out....im on amd gpu and samsung tv. with a pioneer vsx-532.

in gpu settings to get mine to do 4k hdr 444 8bit. gpu scaling needs to be off.  testing with it on hdr doesnt work

also im using ycbcr 444.
edit grabbed my sons 4k lg tv.....same thing

it HAS to be a setting in nvidea thats messed up

my pioneer auto passthough, i didnt have to change anything after a factory reset on it to get the res i was using

also make sure on pioneer hdmi out is on main and lg tv is on hdmi 2....ive tried different hdmi in on pioneer db/dvd, and game had no issues, but cbl/sat and strm box did (not sure why but fought me)

yes i was busy yesterday lol got to love being couped up in the house for weeks

I'm using an onkyo TX-NR696 and i had the same issues you're describing. Resolutions not working right, hdr problems, all that. In the end i found some "secret" button combination on the receiver itself i had to push to bring up a menu to set the HDCP or EDID or w/e versions. They we're wrong in the default factory settings and there is no way to change them in the normal menu's and there is no mention of any of this in the manual. Can only be done with that button combination. I changed all of them to the highest version (i think, there were a few of them) and that made it all work. Before you ask, i did this like 8 months ago, got no idea what the combination was lol.

Would not surprise me one bit if pioneer did something similar. So try looking for that.

edit: found it, it was holding down BD/DVD button and pushing power button twice. If you're going to try this randomly on ur pioneer, known that there is also a combination to reset the whole receiver to factory settings without notice.

I have no signature

6 hours ago, circeseye said:

gpu scaling needs to be off.

@blue2kid3 This is critical. GPU scaling needs to be "Perform scaling on: Display" and probably set to "Aspect Ratio". If scaling is done on the GPU it will always use the primary resolution reported by the TV which will certainly not be 4K 60 RGB 8-bit.

OMG YOU GUYS ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!! @Helly @Monstieur @circeseye I love you guys! All of the advice combined is what fixed it!

Soooo what I had to do was turn off nvidia scaling (no image sharpening for me I guess) then I pressed on the AVR all button combos with power ( I formatted the AVR actually lol) but if you hold down menu and press power twice then enter on the remote I found the hidden service menu, from there I had to learn everything about EDID HDMI signals ect. I had to select HDM under HDMI and passthrough HDMI ( now I can no longer upscale from 1080p to 4k not that it even looked good) then I had to go into dev mode and dump CEC and EDID after I exited the menu I had to turn on my PC and that freaked me out because windows said native 4k RGB but it was scaled to look like 1280 - 720 sizes with sharp lines after 2 restarts in a row my AVR had its normal pop up dialog for HDR 10!!!! my pc auto set it to 4k HDR RGB 4:4:4 AAAAAANNNNDDDD nvidia control pannel lets me pick 4:2:2 12 Bit all at 60 FPS!!! 

Again thank you guys so so so much and I honestly wouldnt have tried so hard without each and every one of you guys! I can now finally enjoy Atmos with dolby true HD, DTSx and 7.1 surround sound (verified with dolby demos downloaded on my pc and both the AVR and windows confirms the bitrate!!!!! 

I can not express how close I was to just selling the LG and getting a new one just for Earc and a denon. You guys are amazing! 

PSA DO NOT BUY PIONEER they are half the price of DENON for same specs (other than denon power stability,temps and wiring is 10000x better)  for a freaken reason and Customer support just kept blaming windows.  

8 hours ago, blue2kid3 said:

OMG YOU GUYS ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!! @Helly @Monstieur @circeseye I love you guys! All of the advice combined is what fixed it!

(no image sharpening for me I guess)

welcome

as for your wanting image sharpening...are you talking about integar scaling?

because i can still run image sharpening and adjust sharpness lvl it has nothing to do with scaling settings

4 hours ago, circeseye said:

welcome

as for your wanting image sharpening...are you talking about integar scaling?

because i can still run image sharpening and adjust sharpness lvl it has nothing to do with scaling settings

No the Nvidia image sharpening technology where you can run the game at 1440p then Nvidia will upscale it to 4k and apply your custom slider settings for sharpening 

• 5 months later...

Last update with the latest firmware settings perform this step 

have you made sure that 4K Enhanced is Active and not 4K Standard?  To check this setting, while the Receiver is ON. If you look at the front panel Press and Hold the Home Menu button, while Home Menu is held down Press the Preset #3 button see if the unit says 4K STD or 4K Enh.  IF 4k STD. then hold home menu and press preset 3 until it says 4k ENH.