MSI Ventus XS 1650. Do you recommend ?

Hi,

So i found various reviews for different reviews for the MSI Ventus XS not-so OC cards. They are pretty popular because of their price but more and more people seem to avoid it/are unhappy with their purchase. Generally, they are complaining about the fan noise. Is it that loud? Is it noticeable while gaming with headsets/headphones? Planning to put it in a Thermaltake Level 20 MT. I don't want the most silent gaming experience but I don't want something that is so loud to the point that I can hear it while wearing headphones.

The Ventus isn't particularly great for higher-end models, like 2070/2060S and up, as it's got a pretty small heatsink. It should be enough for a 1650 though, as it's very power efficient and doesn't output a whole lot of heat.

I would suggest going for a 1650S though instead, it's slightly more expensive but offers a notable improvement in performance over the 1650.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The problème with those cheap cards and the reason they are loud is not the fan, it's the very small thin heatsink they use on them.

That said....1650 is the smallest and most power efficient gpu on the bunch so this cooling solution should suffice and not be real loud provided it has some airflow.

Make sure you review performance data on this small chip and make sure it meets your desired performance before you buy though cause to me this is a pretty weak graphics solution...will do great with esports games for example but will suck at modern games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

The problème with those cheap cards and the reason they are loud is not the fan, it's the very small thin heatsink they use on them.

That said....1650 is the smallest and most power efficient gpu on the bunch so this cooling solution should suffice and not be real loud provided it has some airflow.

Make sure you review performance data on this small chip and make sure it meets your desired performance before you buy though cause to me this is a pretty weak graphics solution...will do great with esports games for example but will suck at modern games.

That's what exactly what I'm looking for. Good perormance on esports titles (CS:GO mainly... and maybe fortnite if I ever come back to that game) but I generally just want an upgrade from the current laptop I have (i7-2720QM @ 2.2 GHz and Quadro 1000M). Will this enable me to run Unreal Engine 4 (like the editor) for more than 20 FPS ?

2 hours ago, databreach said:

That's what exactly what I'm looking for. Good perormance on esports titles (CS:GO mainly... and maybe fortnite if I ever come back to that game) but I generally just want an upgrade from the current laptop I have (i7-2720QM @ 2.2 GHz and Quadro 1000M). Will this enable me to run Unreal Engine 4 (like the editor) for more than 20 FPS ?

Yes it will, at 1080p it can still reach 60fps I most instances with the right settings.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR