To what degree does key switch type affect FPS gaming performance?

alessioamarin
Go to solution Solved by Arika,

basically it doesn't matter, there's not going to be any actual measurable "benefit" of certain switches. It will come down to what each individual person likes using and what they are used to.

I game on a Microsoft Surface keyboard

The Microsoft Surface Keyboard: Initial Impressions – An ...

I tried using my MX Blue KB that is set up for my secondary rig, and i felt clunky and not as accurate with keypresses because i wasn't used to it, so i went back to my scissor switches ever since.

Basically, Keyboard switches wont give you any competitive edge

I have 2 keyboards: one with Cherry MX Brown switches and another with Cherry MX Blue switches. I absolutely love the sound of the blues, but have noticed that it's significantly easier to type smoothly and quickly with the browns.

I play CSGO competitively and was wondering if using the blues would affect my ability to, say, counter-strafe, for example. You might be thinking, "why on earth haven't you just tried both in-game?"... I have, but haven't been able to reach a conclusion because my performance is generally very inconsistent anyway. I therefore don't think I'm a very good test subject, lol.

I'd love to hear some personal experiences from FPS gamers who have used both types of switches.

Cheers everyone! :)

MX Browns are easier to click in because it is significantly less tactile than an MX Blue.

That is my personal observation, but I don't see it as a hinder while gaming.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

basically it doesn't matter, there's not going to be any actual measurable "benefit" of certain switches. It will come down to what each individual person likes using and what they are used to.

I game on a Microsoft Surface keyboard

The Microsoft Surface Keyboard: Initial Impressions – An ...

I tried using my MX Blue KB that is set up for my secondary rig, and i felt clunky and not as accurate with keypresses because i wasn't used to it, so i went back to my scissor switches ever since.

Basically, Keyboard switches wont give you any competitive edge

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Well I don't know about gaming but I found out that I have a really hard time to type on my blue switches keyboard ... I'm way faster on my old probably now vintage membrane keyboard. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

I'm fine on almost any key switch type I've ever tried, but different layouts screw me up, esp ones with tiny little keys in the corners for arrows, del, etc like the Logitech K400 for example.

I'd like to try out a KB with a silent switch and see how quiet they actually are...

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

i dont think keyboard switches will give you an edge in gaming, it comes down to personal preference really and how you are used to the game and movement. most high ranked players will probably perform well if you give them atleast  a decent  keyboard.

you can also see what the pros use on https://prosettings.net/ if that would help 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

It’s whatever keyboard works best for you,  one that is comfortable is very important. Then you need one hour skilled with. Some people like small mice or large mice, some with grooves or such as that’s what they can utilize best.

personally I’d say best bet is one with short actuation so that input can be initiated quicker, but make sure the key type feels natural to use or it could make it feel weird and take you out of the game