Gaming and working from home build

Leng

Good morning everyone, 

With a post in another sub forum I think I have come to a decision on which case to get, and most likely going with the Phanteks Eclipse P600S. Still looking at Meshify S2 and Dark Base 700 and Silent Base 601 as well from be quiet! I am about to put this build together, as in finalise the list and start ordering parts, have not done a full build since 2012. To get any good input I will give a crap ton of information! 

Parts wise: I am confident on MB (Asus X570-E), CPU (Ryzen 9 3900X), RAM (G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600Mhz/CAS 16) and while I have a good cooler in my current desktop I think I will go with liquid for the possibly slightly decreased noise during CPU usage. I also want good airflow because I am air-cooling the GPU (not fully made a decision on which to get) and only later, let's say in 2-3 years go full custom loop. 

1. Budget & Location

4000$AUD or more, less will also be okay :) Location is of course Australia

2. Aim

See further down, work and gaming

3. Monitors

2k 144Hz, either 2 or potentially 3 at some later stage

4. Peripherals

No. Might, but this thread is not about this.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Hate my GPU, want a Ryzen 9 3900X, problems with current case, thermals not ideal currently, don't think I can run a Valve Index on current specs. 

Usage cases for this PC currently planned:

Work including:

• Cloud software
  • Video editing
  • Data transfers to and from QNAP NAS
  • MS Office
  • Tiny bit of coding

Gaming in no particular order:

• Red Dead Redemption 2
  • EVE Online
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • ANNO 1800
  • Diablo III and Diablo IV later
  • Witcher series
  • RUST
  • Games that probably run on a Raspberry Pi

Also thinking of buying a Valve Index for Half Life Alyx later, not really feasible with my current specs. My build is a bit overkill, and the GPU looks too weak for the build, I am thinking of potentially getting a Big Navi or RTX 3xxx at some stage, maybe as soon as in 1-2 years. Hate my current GPU and both GPU/CPU are getting hot enough to cook family sized meals on with my current build. (it probably needs thermal paste reapplication)

Below is my current PC at home which I am writing this from! (I also have a work laptop but mainly using it now when I want something portable to take out to the garden, laptop is usually plugged into my Toshiba Dynadock at the office. I want my home office setup to be vastly superior. 

Questions:

• Any incompatibilities you can see? With liquid cooling the RAM clearance should not be a problem, I also am a little frightened putting any CPU cooler on with proper amount of paste due to my being a little older than in 2012... 
  • Storage, I might pop at least one of the SSD from the old build into the new, but maybe keep the old build for something or sell it. On reviews the Samsung does offers equal or better results than the more expensive PCI4 SSD. I am not worried about having too little storage, also have a 4TB external USB3. What should I get, maybe just the Samsung and not get the Gigabyte? I think the board has slots for 2 M2, will confirm before I order haha. Maybe get 2 Samsung of this mentioned spec? Any real cause to get the Gigabyte? Heard a lot of good things about Samsung, price is not a consideration, this is not a budget build.
  • GPU, probably my biggest item that I would like advice on, I could get a 2080Ti but I'd rather not. If anything I would prefer a Big Navi or RTX30xx later. I do want a card that runs significantly cooler than my current build which can get in the 90°C range. Thermal paste on both my CPU and GPU on current PC will need redoing which may be the cause for my bad temps. Do I get a 2070S, what is the best performance to thermal performance/noise level card I can buy for money in this space? I think they are all air cooled, the ones in stock anyway. Still considering the 5700XT but not really sure. I am thinking of checking RTX and Gsync and that sorta stuff. I had am AMD Radeon die on me before my current GPU as well. I might delve deeper into GPU in another thread as well. 
  •  PSU, I am going off tier lists and the like here as well, any pointers would be appreciated about brands, I want to go higher than Gold rated because I can. EVGA has done well on that front as its been a wonderful unit, the one I currently have. (Could also reuse it and buy a cheap one for my old PC, but its a bit dusty.. god I am an awful person.)
  • Do the parts make sense? Anything completely silly on this build? 
  • How would you rate it as in easiness of building it? I will watch a lot of videos to be well prepared.
  • OS: Intend to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro from ebay... That's what I did to upgrade my Windows 10 Home work laptop to Windows 10 Pro. I might also run Manjaro on the PC again, currently running  Windows 10Home and Linux Mint on the Home PC and W10Pro and Manjaro on the work laptop. (I am still very new to Linux)
  • Contingency: Please suggest something that be extremely similar if items seem to be hard to get in Australia, worried about stocklevels of the RAM and SSD and GPU's in particular

That's it for me, any more tips&tricks and everything you have, give it to me! Thanks for being awesome! Leng over and out. 

• Why wouldn't you reuse some of your old build? Still has plenty of usable parts.
  • I'd try holding off on the video card front until the newer stuff comes out personally.
  • That's way too much for a PSU. Both in wattage and price.
  • Building a PC is about as hard as building a beginner Lego set.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I will reuse SSD, and probably put in an old HDD i have into the old PC. Just want to add at least 1 or 2 SSD that are faster and not SATA. CPU cooler, I would prefer to liquid cool it as I think it will possibly be a tad quieter and look neater, the current air cooler is meant to be best of the best but also does look ugly. (I assume it cannot possibly be the reason for my bad CPU temps at the moment.) 

The case, now the case... With the front door closed, thermals are not great. The case has an airflow chimney. My cats love to close it up when I have it open for gaming. 

The most likely candidate for reuse is of course the PSU, it is fully modular (requirement for me) and also high enough wattage and I could buy a cheap 650W Bronze for the old PC. Am i being unreasonable if I want something better than 80+ Gold? You tell me! :) Also keep in mind prices are of course in Australian dollaridoos.

Nothing else makes sense to re-use at all... 

I do want a new GPU, but if I stick it in my current build it will be majorly held back by a lot of other components... at least that is what I think. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

@YT_DomDaBomb20

Yes the SSD are not cheap, I do have the money and I might just get one of them, I had a Crucial die on me a while ago, I think I like Samsung, the Gigabyte I am not so sure about. I also have the 2 older SSD in my current build so I would probably stick them in there as well. Just want one that is insanely fast.  Also do not need an internal HDD that is not an SSD, I have one that I will leave in the old PC and I also have a 4TB external WD something lying around. 

That Fractal cooler looks good, a lot cheaper than my NZXT, I have no idea what to look for in the perfect 360mm rad AIO really, to be honest. 

You changed the Mainboard too, I just sort of went by the tier list, and MB is not something I want to upgrade too often. Still running with LGA1155 MB at this stage haha. Have you got good experiences with that board or think the one I choose is utterly unnecessary? Do you have experience with that Fractal AIO cooler or how to choose a good one? 

@SavageNeo 

I agree I could get the 3950X, but I think its probably not worth the extra money for me personally because there will always be upgrades anyway, 4xxx is coming out this year hopefully. My GPU is also underpowered because I may upgrade to a RTX 3XXX or the Big Navi AMD CPU at some later stage. How does the PRIME MB compare to the one I choose, I just went with tier lists on this LTT basically, and choose the imho best one that made sense for me and the 3900X. 

The memory is only 18CAS, the one I chose is 16 so will definitely stay with that I think, not really sure if it will make a difference sometime in the future for my video editing or something, but that's my opinion on there. 

To all the other people in this forum: 

I assume with not getting a lot of answers that everything else is okay with my build? I intend to change the case to the O11D, hope it all fits haha. Just have to figure out some other stuff, which fans and where to put them, and where to mount my AIO radiator, at the site or on the top?