Boot Drive: M.2 or SATA SSD?

Hey guys. I have a new build that I'm finishing up and I was wondering whether I should install Windows on the M.2 or SATA SSD. I saw that SSD showdown video Linus did where he had his employees do a blind test on a bunch of different SSDs, and it looked like the regular old SATA drive was the favorite from a stability and perceived performance standpoint.

What do you guys think is the best option here? I am definitely worried about slow loading and stability issues with this PC. In my eyes, it's not an upgrade if it doesn't perform better and that includes stability

It depends on the budget.

At the lower end, a m.2 ssd will be just as bad as a sata ssd, so it won't make any difference.

If you don't buy the cheapest stuff, a nvme ssd will have higher iops compared to sata, and slightly better speeds (~ 2000-2750 MB/s reads vs 560 MB/s for sata SSDs)

You may as well use the m.2 connector, if it's there...

M.2 is much faster (Crucial's are at least consistently fast... all their M.2s have upwards of 2000 MB/s read.). SATA is budget-friendly but is slower then M.2. Do it on the M.2 if you have one (you do). BTW, what M.2 do you have? If it has better read/write speeds use it

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Well I already have both is what I'm saying. I have a XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 vs. Samsung 850 Evo SATA SSD. I'll go with the M.2 if you guys think that's the better option. It is brand new, and the other SSD is old and from my current PC.

Definitely do that. Even smaller copy-paste jobs feel noticably snappier. Boot times would probably be just about the same, though.

The 850 Evo still makes a good game drive. 

What do you mean by stability?

3 minutes ago, Dav!d said:

Definitely do that. Even smaller copy-paste jobs feel noticably snappier. Boot times would probably be just about the same, though.

The 850 Evo still makes a good game drive. 

What do you mean by stability?

Well in that LTT video, people said that the frametime was kind of choppy when playing games and doing video editing on the M.2 drive vs. the SATA one. I was thinking that maybe M.2 still has some growing pains since it's a relatively new concept compared to the battle tested and hardened SATA interface