Pc won't post

King_Arthur
Go to solution Solved by King_Arthur,

it was a dead mobo

I found an old pc in my basement, nothing special but i would like to restore it and i tried every thing but it doesn't want to post.

here the specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo e 6750

MB: ConRoe 1333-DVI/H

GPU: none

RAM 2GB 2x1 Kingston DDR II 667

PSU: Random no branded unit

Pls help.

Does anything happen when you press the button? Like at all, lights in the motherboard at all?

If not, probably PSU.

nothing at all, steady led and no beep but the fans rump up and the hard drive spin so i didn't count a PSU failure

If you pull the RAM out and try to turn it on, does it do anything different? like if the mobo has a speaker attached do you get any beeping?

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

13 minutes ago, King_Arthur said:

it is integrated in the motherboard

Have you tried to take out the one of the memory sticks? And booting again?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I tried with both sticks sigularly a it was the same, no beep no post and steady led

6 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Have you tried to take out the one of the memory sticks? And booting again?

yes

6 hours ago, Adorable Cat said:

If you pull the RAM out and try to turn it on, does it do anything different? like if the mobo has a speaker attached do you get any beeping?

no beep only fans and hard drive

Probably a dead mobo. Check over all the capacitors and see if any of them look any sort of broken. 

11 hours ago, 07VFDInLCD said:

Probably a dead mobo. Check over all the capacitors and see if any of them look any sort of broken. 

so i noticed a bended pin, but checkin in the socket info it is not a necessary one so i din't count a mb problem all capacitors are good nothing has leaked and everything is clean

Hi,

If the PC is spinning up, but you still arn't getting any output (I'm guessing you've tried a CMOS reset already, just in case), my primary guess would be the on-board graphics are shot for some reason. I'd recomend you try and get your hands on an old GPU, circumvent the on-board and chech that it isn't something more serious.

Additionly, does the PC have more than one display output?

8 hours ago, GuardEzio said:

Hi,

If the PC is spinning up, but you still arn't getting any output (I'm guessing you've tried a CMOS reset already, just in case), my primary guess would be the on-board graphics are shot for some reason. I'd recomend you try and get your hands on an old GPU, circumvent the on-board and chech that it isn't something more serious.

Additionly, does the PC have more than one display output?

so i have checked the integrated graphics die nothing visible but i noticed that the themal paste was rock solid, i don't have any spare compound now, cold this be the problem? i noticed that it was a little bit on the hot side but not to much

and no the MB has only a vga output and i don't have a spare graphics card 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:27 PM, King_Arthur said:

so i have checked the integrated graphics die nothing visible but i noticed that the themal paste was rock solid, i don't have any spare compound now, cold this be the problem?

Hi,

The only way I can see that being a problem, at least in terms of booting, is the hard paste causing some weird pressures on the socket. Seems unlikely, but I've seen wierder things. Ether way, some fresh thermal paste wouldn't be a bad thing, if only to ensure better thermal condution - especaily if you've removed the cooler already.

Out of curiosity, when you say the "integrated graphics die", what do you mean? The die should be covered by the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) unless you've delidded the CPU?

As it stands, if you don't mind investing a little to get the PC up and running again I'd recomend you buy some basic thermal paste (isopropyl alcohol to clean the old gunk off the CPU/Cooler as well - if you don't already have some) and look for a bog standard gpu on ebay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, King_Arthur said:

it was a dead mobo

HA-AH! One of the simplest answers, yet the one every tech I've ever known hopes is not the case, especialy in off the shelf systems.

Sending it for scrap? If so I'd say savlage what you can first, just in-case you ever come across anouther old rig you want to try to get running.

All the best ^_^