My laptop is at 150 degrees Ferinhight on idle

ZyrecMCNX

iv had this laptop of 6 years and one day i instaled windows 8 and i noticed my laptop over heating then i put the windows 7 hdd in again and it was still over heating and i didnt notice the heat in the first place bacause i taped it to my table beacsue thee charging jack was broken,what do i do to make it stop over heating without buying stuff?

it an Acer Aspire 5251

specs

AMD V120

2gb ram

If it's so old, chances are pretty good that dust buildup and dry thermal paste are the culprits. If you have some canned air, try blowing out the dust.

Ι  recommend if you have the knowledge to take a look inside it to see if there is a lot of dust that has buildup through out time,

I would also recommend again if you have the neccesery knowledge to try and change the thermal paste or even look for anything suspicious on the cooler itself to see if there is anyting broken on it or if it spins at all.

One more thing is that when you reach this temperature try and  feel around the laptop for any hotter than average parts on the outter shell of the laptop, if you can't spot any, there is a pretty good chance you have a faulty temperature sensor giving those wrong readings

150f isn’t all that much in celcius.  100c is 250f.

like complaining about dihidrogenmonoxide (water)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

150f isn’t all that much in celcius.  100c is 250f.

like complaining about dihidrogenmonoxide (water)

That's 65C. Idling at 65C is definitely abnormal. And 100C is 212F.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

2 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

That's 65C. Idling at 65C is definitely abnormal. And 100C is 212F.

65c isn’t overheating though.  The 212 thing sounds right.  I didn’t remember the number so I guesstimated.  

4 hours ago, ZyrecMCNX said:

iv had this laptop of 6 years and one day i instaled windows 8 and i noticed my laptop over heating then i put the windows 7 hdd in again and it was still over heating and i didnt notice the heat in the first place bacause i taped it to my table beacsue thee charging jack was broken,what do i do to make it stop over heating without buying stuff?

it an Acer Aspire 5251

specs

AMD V120

2gb ram

I’m noticing you’re saying the laptop is 6 years old?  Have you tried removing dust bunnies from the fan area?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, LurkerKing said:

If it's so old, chances are pretty good that dust buildup and dry thermal paste are the culprits. If you have some canned air, try blowing out the dust.

well i did becuse the charging jack broke so i replaced it and so i also cleaned it

7 hours ago, Marinos Karp said:

Ι  recommend if you have the knowledge to take a look inside it to see if there is a lot of dust that has buildup through out time,

I would also recommend again if you have the neccesery knowledge to try and change the thermal paste or even look for anything suspicious on the cooler itself to see if there is anyting broken on it or if it spins at all.

One more thing is that when you reach this temperature try and  feel around the laptop for any hotter than average parts on the outter shell of the laptop, if you can't spot any, there is a pretty good chance you have a faulty temperature sensor giving those wrong readings

im 12 and i think 130 F is prety hot for my hands.

it doesnt use past it uses pads,thermal pads

and when i turn it on instalntly its gets realy hot to about 60 F

1 minute ago, ZyrecMCNX said:

im 12 and i think 130 F is prety hot for my hands.

it doesnt use past it uses pads,thermal pads

and when i turn it on instalntly its gets realy hot to about 60 F

infact i can eventualy smell the dust burning

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

65c isn’t overheating though.  The 212 thing sounds right.  I didn’t remember the number so I guesstimated.  

I’m noticing you’re saying the laptop is 6 years old?  Have you tried removing dust bunnies from the fan area?

yup i took it all apart and cleaned it and im 12 so i dont know if i missed something but i cleaned the thermal past fan and i took the fan apart too to realy get i cleaned even soldern on a 12 mosfet regulator.