Can I use r7 3700x on Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite?

I've a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite mobo and have been using r5 2600x on it without any issues, Now I wish to upgrade my CPU can I swap from a r5 2600x with a r7 3700x on that mobo? Would It be fine or a mobo upgrade is needed? Needless I don't plan on overclocking as ryzen 3000 chips doesn't have astounding performance gains while being overclocked as all of you know well.

So please help me out on this. 馃槃

Provided you update the BIOS before swapping CPUs, yes absolutely you can use the 3700X on that board

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yes it will be completely fine.

SLAMD-XT聽 Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

As mentioned above, it will work with a BIOS update, but I'd only run it at stock speeds (including not enabling PBO or any auto overclocking).

Desktop:Intel Core i9-9900K |聽ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB @聽3200MHz CL14聽| EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop:聽2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"聽聽--聽 i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals:聽Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g聽| Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Provided you update the BIOS before swapping CPUs, yes absolutely you can use the 3700X on that board

Yeah, I already have my Bios updated just need to get the CPU asap.聽

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

As mentioned above, it will work with a BIOS update, but I'd only run it at stock speeds (including not enabling PBO or any auto overclocking).

I've seen lot of guys complaining about VRMs of this mobo, I won't bother anything more than stock on r7 3700x, Is that fine now?

Just now, Hellfire_Helix said:

I've seen lot of guys complaining about VRMs of this mobo, I won't bother anything more than stock on r7 3700x, Is that fine now?

I get no more than 55c out of the VRM's on this board with my chip overclocked.

SLAMD-XT聽 Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

2 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

I get no more than 55c out of the VRM's on this board with my chip overclocked.

You must be having decent airflow in your case then, Can you please share your Cabinet's Fan and radiator configurations?

1 minute ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

You must be having decent airflow in your case then, Can you please share your Cabinet's Fan and radiator configurations?

20200324_204500.thumb.jpg.61e9991fc24156246a857d9db1e46697.jpg.ea118915ed266ef249bf8756bb72547b.jpgAMD.png.8be578d476d4f00a63c22267c7ff74f3.png.6514219d7bd9febeb9f1cc907daa5a62.png

2 120MM Coolermaster Sickleflows at the top blowing in on very low RPM.

20200324_204500.thumb.jpg.61e9991fc24156246a857d9db1e46697.jpg.ea118915ed266ef249bf8756bb72547b.jpgAMD.png.8be578d476d4f00a63c22267c7ff74f3.png.6514219d7bd9febeb9f1cc907daa5a62.png

2 120MM Coolermaster Sickleflows at the top blowing in on very low RPM.

Ohh I get it, the reason you have great VRM temps is because you are using tower type Air Cooler which directly blows air into your VRM section that's why it stays cool, Unfortunately this is not my case I've a CoolerMaster H500 Mesh and a 240mm AIO mounted on top of my chasis which I think doesn't assist in VRM cooling even a little bit.

2 minutes ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

Ohh I get it, the reason you have great VRM temos us because you are using tower type Air Cooler which directly blows air into your VRM section that's why it stays cool, Unfortunately this is not my case I've a CoolerMaster H500 Mesh and a 240mm AIO mounted on top of my chasis which I think doesn't assist in VRM cooling even a little bit.

Well if you knew it would be a problem like i did, you should have compensated for it, my VRM temps are insanely good, but the Aorus Elite will cook with no airflow.

4 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Well if you knew it would be a problem like i did, you should have compensated for it, my VRM temps are insanley good, but the Aourus Elite will cook with no airflow.

That's sad for me.

Now I am stuck whether to improve my cabinet's airflow or get a new mobo?

1 minute ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

That's sad. Now I am stuck whether to improve my cabinet's airflow or get a new mobo?

This board works amazing with airflow, it was only ever seen getting high VRM temps on an open test bed with a Ryzen 1800X pushing a big overclock.

With airflow over the VRM's it is not a problem.

What can you spend? and what website will you order from?

1 minute ago, GreyestGoat said:

This board works amazing with airflow, it was only ever seen getting high VRM temps on an open test bed with a Ryzen 1800X pushing a big overclock.

With airflow over the VRM's it is not a problem.

What can you spend? and what website will you order from?

What's your take on this configuration, how I can improve my airflow in this scenario please suggest.聽

2脳 200mm Intake fans on the front聽

1脳 120mm Exhaust fan on the rear

A 240mm AIO with fans in exhaust configuration on top of cabinet.

3 minutes ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

What's your take on this configuration, how I can improve my airflow in this scenario please suggest.聽

2脳 200mm Intake fans on the front聽

1脳 120mm Exhaust fan on the rear

A 240mm AIO with fans in exhaust configuration on top of cabinet.

Swap the radiator around and put it as an intake from the front of the chassis and have the top two fans pushing air into your case, you do not need the top 2 fans pushing a lot of RPM's if they are static pressure fans like my sickleflows, this will directly cool your VRM's.

The VRM is safe to be up to around 90 degrees Celsius all the time, 24/7 ... so it can be hot to the touch.

It's not a problem.

If you overclock the cpu, in a poor airflow case,聽 the extra power consumption may raise the temperature near 100 degrees and that will cause the vrm to throttle the cpu, reducing the actual frequencies in order to consume less power and therefore produce less heat.

Stick with the board, get the processor, don't overclock (you get at best 5-10% performance increase for a lot of stress) ... if you're worried about high temperature get a case fan (80/92/120mm and mount it between the io shield and the cpu with some zip ties or something... make it blow air down on those heatsinks.

Swap the radiator around and put it as an intake from the front of the chassis and have the top two fans pushing air into your case, you do not need the top 2 fans pushing a lot of RPM'sif they are static pressure fans like my sickleflows, this will directly cool your VRM's.

Do you think anything like this could work in cooling the VRM?

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

The VRM is safe to be up to around 90 degrees Celsius all the time, 24/7 ... so it can be hot to the touch.

It's not a problem.

If you overclock the cpu, in a poor airflow case,聽 the extra power consumption may raise the temperature near 100 degrees and that will cause the vrm to throttle the cpu, reducing the actual frequencies in order to consume less power and therefore produce less heat.

Stick with the board, get the processor, don't overclock (you get at best 5-10% performance increase for a lot of stress) ... if you're worried about high temperature get a case fan (80/92/120mm and mount it between the io shield and the cpu with some zip ties or something... make it blow air down on those heatsinks.

I was thinking on doing something like this, do you think it would work to cool the VRM?

Do you think anything like this could work in cooling the VRM?

Yes, though when you shut the side panel on your case it is going to struggle to blow air around.

The best ideal route is straight from outside of the case and into the case.

6 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Yes, though when you shut the side panel on your case it is going to struggle to blow air around.

The best ideal route is straight from outside of the case and into the case.

What kind of fans should I look for that purpose? A high rpm one or high CFM one?

Could you recommend some good fans for that.

What kind of fans should I look for that purpose? A high rpm one or high CFM one?

Could you recommend some good fans for that.

I can look around for you, do you have a certain style you wish to stick to? colour?

4 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

I can look around for you, do you have a certain style you wish to stick to? colour?

No I am not looking into RGB Fans, just need one which would be efficient enough to be able to cool my VRMs.

Took some better images, i eventually split the 2 fans apart at the front because they were not feeding the GPU, the top one feeds the top half of teh chassis, the bottom now feeds the GPU, the GPU dropped 10c overall.20200426_125915.jpg.6a1f465857f9ac0de2867e48e4b03325.jpg20200426_125925.jpg.4089d339cef1f0085cd728252598f25b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

No I am not looking into RGB Fans, just need one which would be efficient enough to be able to cool my VRMs.

Corsair LL are excellent though not very cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075VDGSJ8?tag=gcafeuk-21

And another thing, i would have some compressed air handy because my configuration increases dust intake, but as long as you stay up on your computers maintenence it is a non issue.