PC Getting hot when Folding

Hi guys this is my post from another thread they recommend i post here.

First things first, the 8700K is a toastyboi, and Folding is a very difficult workload.

Airflow could be a problem if your system doesn't have enough fans, and that CPU cooler is a little too skimpy for a CPU that hot.

For now, I would recommend not folding on it, at least until you can get a better cooling solution for it. Refer to this thread:

Not saying to drop tons of cash on it, just something better, or don't fold on it.

F@H    EOC

Did you swap cases yet? The Q300L doesn't have good airflow and getting a better case like the Lancool II-X should improve temps enough. 

If you still have the Q300L, try removing the side panel and seeing how temps change. If they improve dramatically, it indicates that the case airflow can be improved.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:20 AM, Pinkcrow91 said:

Hi guys this is my post from another thread they recommend i post here.

How many fans do you have on that Q300L? Case airflow is indeed restricted because of the perforated sides and mesh filters.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Did you swap cases yet? The Q300L doesn't have good airflow and getting a better case like the Lancool II-X should improve temps enough. 

If you still have the Q300L, try removing the side panel and seeing how temps change. If they improve dramatically, it indicates that the case airflow can be improved.

I haven't changed Case yet. No Lancool 2 in stock . I have Stopped folding for the time. and my temps are much better.

ill repost when i get everything moved. thanks for help 

Annotation 2020-04-28 112623.jpg

8 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

How many fans do you have on that Q300L? Case airflow is indeed restricted because of the perforated sides and mesh filters.

I have 3 fans. On 120mm at the top to take air out . The fan in the back is A Corsair SP120 RGB (high Static Pressure)

1 minute ago, Pinkcrow91 said:

I have 3 fans. On 120mm at the top to take air out . And a fan in back high pressure

The fan in the back is configured to be exhaust by default. If you haven't changed it you'd have negative pressure. Which is not good in a restricted air flow case. Also, what orientation your Q300L is in?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

20 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

The fan in the back is configured to be exhaust by default. If you haven't changed it you'd have negative pressure. Which is not good in a restricted air flow case. Also, what orientation your Q300L is in?

CPU FAN ( blowing out i think ),TOP FAN (blowing air out UP)

IMG_20200428_115826596.jpg

IMG_20200428_115815876_(1).jpg

IMG_20200428_115734954.jpg

4 hours ago, Pinkcrow91 said:

IMG_20200428_115826596.jpg

IMG_20200428_115815876_(1).jpg

IMG_20200428_115734954.jpg

I personally would buy 3 more fans to add 3 intake. But if you're on your way to get a new case that's cool too.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

Just now, Fatih19 said:

I personally would buy 3 more fans to add 3 intake. But if you're on your way to get a new case that's cool too.

i probably will i only have 3 fan headers how many fans can i put on a header with out shorting it out. Im trying to get a new case but the one i want is sold out. Probably do to the virus.

49 minutes ago, Pinkcrow91 said:

i probably will i only have 3 fan headers how many fans can i put on a header with out shorting it out. Im trying to get a new case but the one i want is sold out. Probably do to the virus.

00f, that sucks. My motherboard also only have 3 fan header. I bought a cheapo fan hub to use more fan. It uses molex to power the fans while connected to the motherboard fan header to control their speeds.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

22 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

00f, that sucks. My motherboard also only have 3 fan header. I bought a cheapo fan hub to use more fan. It uses molex to power the fans while connected to the motherboard fan header to control their speeds.

I have a non modular power supply i dont use Molex so i cut them off. I do have a new power supply will probably be much better. (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GA-0750-X1) but im not installing anything till i get all my parts.

12 hours ago, Pinkcrow91 said:

I haven't changed Case yet. No Lancool 2 in stock . I have Stopped folding for the time. and my temps are much better.

ill repost when i get everything moved. thanks for help 

What's your core voltage at under load? Undervolting is also a good way to lower temps. 

11 hours ago, Pinkcrow91 said:

That's a rear exhaust and top intake. Generally and in this case, the side with the fan frame is the exhaust and the side with the hub is the intake. 

open-grille.png

6 hours ago, Pinkcrow91 said:

It depends on the fans and header. Most modern motherboards support up to 1A if not otherwise specified which can mean more of fewer fans depending on how much power they require. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, Pinkcrow91 said:

Update. I did get some more fans the two front fans are intake and then the two back ones are exhaust

IMG_20200513_192920870.jpg

IMG_20200513_192930525.jpg

IMG_20200513_192701960.jpg

Screenshot_20200513-193750.png

I have 5 intake fans on my case, with 1 exhaust.

This creates a lot of positive pressure and pushes the air out of every possible space it can get out.

The air coming out of my empty PCIE slots is almost as fast as the air being ejected by my exhaust fan in terms of wind speed.

This has lowered my temps a great deal generally.

Prior to this it was 3 intakes and 1 exhaust and the exhaust fan air was extremely warm, now there is more air leaving and it is a lot cooler.

On 5/13/2020 at 8:27 PM, Dravinian said:

I have 5 intake fans on my case, with 1 exhaust.

This creates a lot of positive pressure and pushes the air out of every possible space it can get out.

The air coming out of my empty PCIE slots is almost as fast as the air being ejected by my exhaust fan in terms of wind speed.

This has lowered my temps a great deal generally.

Prior to this it was 3 intakes and 1 exhaust and the exhaust fan air was extremely warm, now there is more air leaving and it is a lot cooler.

so should i switch top fan that is exhaust to intake? than the only exhaust will be in the back