Best way to Backup Files and Folder structures

FloRolf

Hello my friends,

Here's my current situation and what i want to do:

I have a freeNAS system which houses all of my files. It's a RaidZ2 so it's quite redundant however obviously not a backup.

Since i want to be save even when it comes to a housefire or whatever, i regularly (like once a month)

copy most of my NAS content onto an external HDD and bring that to my parents house (it's always the same drive not a new one each month lol).

This way was fine for me until now because i really only add a couple pictures every time, however, once i'm at my parents

i pick up another external drive that belongs to my dad, then take that home and copy all of his stuff onto my NAS. He adds waaay more things

so i'd have a hard time selecting everything that has changed and copy it manually.

What is a fast way to sync my NAS with his HDD and while i'm at it, sync my HDD with my NAS?

i've seen Robocopy as that's integrated to Windows and doesn't seem to be too terrible to use, however is it also secure or could it once in a million times

just delete everything on my NAS?

Ideally ofc i'd just like a simple "Press this button to backup" and be done but that probably won't happen ;)

Thanks for your input!

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

If you can do it between two servers FreeNAS supports Snapshots & Replication tasks. This enables you to replicate the pool to either another local pool or another server either local or remote automatically on whatever schedule works for you.

Alternatively there is RSYNC which you could utilize via WSL. Once it's setup it's pretty much set it and forget it but to utilize it on Windows is a bit tedious:

i use rsync to copy changes from my main array to a backup drive.

at work i have a client that uses xcopy (on windows) to half-ass sync a program between his desktop and a laptop.

both work very well, but you absolutely dont want to give them to an idiot, because stuff will break.