Small but working QR codes

RageTester
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

its mostly a matter of the image being displayed sharp enough, and whatever you're using to pick it up (presumably being a camera) being able to focus on it.

maybe putting a 2-3 pixel white border around the code would make things a tad better?

the biggest one is working fine for me, the other two arent big enough for my phone to focus on them, but i've scanned that size on actual handheld scanners before, off screens.

How to make small qr code images that can still be read after you upload them online?

I managed to scan 42x42 pixel QR code on local machine, but... So far web compression has destroyed every single one, even some of the huge QR codes I make. Nothing works after uploading...

working QR

fail

robotrage-smallqr.png

robotrage42pixels.png

robotrage84x.png

I think you may find the biggest problem is having to hold your phone (I presume this is what you are scanning with) too close to the screen for it to focus.

If I zoom the second image then try to scan it, works fine on my S10.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

its mostly a matter of the image being displayed sharp enough, and whatever you're using to pick it up (presumably being a camera) being able to focus on it.

maybe putting a 2-3 pixel white border around the code would make things a tad better?

the biggest one is working fine for me, the other two arent big enough for my phone to focus on them, but i've scanned that size on actual handheld scanners before, off screens.

Smallest one works on my iPhone but not with my Android phone. Both can focus, but obviously the performance will depend on the app used to scan.

The dots on it are so small that they're basically indistinguishible from the LCD's grid...

S00424-20220227.jpg.d0e6ed00b0a7b4b0510a0beb2c0bc8b1.jpg

The fact some appear grey suggests something might be happening with the LCD refresh as well.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Smallest one works on my iPhone but not with my Android phone. Both can focus, but obviously the performance will depend on the app used to scan.

The dots on it are so small that they're basically indistinguishible from the LCD's grid...

The fact some appear grey suggests something might be happening with the LCD refresh as well.

Yeah well I wanted smallest that works without using zooming and white border around QR code helped with that... tested on my old laptop screen and cheap Hisense A5 smartphone camera, so I will stick with around 50-60 pixels width. Going even smaller isn't much of a gain, but can cause problems...