MY FIRST BUILD EVER! List Ready for Suggestions!

GamerDad_

So here I am. About 35 hours of research into PC gaming in the last few days. I've decided to do it and not buy a pre-build. I have taken notes on every single computer component I could so that i made an informed decision. I am approved to use no interest financing through NewEgg, so all of my parts will be from there.

I have right now a 4k monitor by LG that I am going to have to use. I believe it is only 60 hz, but my budget of $1500 US will just not allow me to get a monitor right now. I need a keyboard and mouse, but i think im going to start out my gaming with my Astro C40 or Scuf Vantage controllers to start.

For compatibility there was this message on PCpart picker about my motherboard...not sure what this means or if i should change anything.

My big questions that I am not 100% sure on are:

The motherboard. I know i want an x570, but i just couldn't research enough to understand the difference between some of them. They start at $150, but i didn't want to cheap out on it with my ryzen 7 and mid-high end graphics card.

My power supply. The system requirements say i need about 380 watts, and i know i want to leave room for upgrades and to be safe. But again, there is the compatibility message that came up and there are just so many brands. I know i need 80+ certification, and semi modular would be great, but i'm still somewhat lost.

The NVME storage. I know i want to have this be for my OS and my favorite games, but am i picking my storage wrong for the money i am spending? Should i do a HDD with a smaller nvme?

I am thankful to this community here as you guys have been the most encouraging and helpful out in this cyber world. Thanks!

Note:The ASRock X570 Extreme4 ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Enermax RevoBron TGA 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Edited by GamerDad_
missing the price of the power supply

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X   COOLER: Kraken X63   GPU: Zotac Trinity RTX 3090    MOBO:  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  

RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL 16   STORAGE: Viper Gen 4 1Tb SSD VP4100 +Viper NVME SSD 512Gb + Seagate 1 TB HDD 7200rpm  

PSU: NZXT 850 watt 80+ Gold  CASE: NZXT 510 Elite   MONITOR: Primary: LG 48" CX OLED--Secondary Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q-P 1440p 165Hz IPS

I wouldn't get an X processor, just get the regular 3700. That motherboard is kinda overkill, too. I would personally get a smaller SSD and a big hard drive for basically the same price as your current SSD and you will get double the storage or more. PSU isn't great iirc, check the PSU tier list here. Case is also fairly mediocre. Haven't heard of that brand before.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I wouldn't get an X processor, just get the regular 3700. That motherboard is kinda overkill, too. I would personally get a smaller SSD and a big hard drive for basically the same price as your current SSD and you will get double the storage or more. PSU isn't great iirc, check the PSU tier list here. Case is also fairly mediocre. Haven't heard of that brand before.

Sir are you on crack? It's just the 3700x and 3800x, no 3700 unless youre talking about the 3700 PRO, which is meant for business... (I think youre just used to saying 3600/3600x :p) 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Sir are you on crack? It's just the 3700x and 3800x, no 3700 unless youre talking about the 3700 PRO, which is meant for business... 

Oh, my bad.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Sir are you on crack? It's just the 3700x and 3800x, no 3700 unless youre talking about the 3700 PRO, which is meant for business... (I think youre just used to saying 3600/3600x :p) 

lol. i'm pretty set on the 3700x. i din't want to drop down to the ryzen 5. even if it is a bit overkill cpu for gaming, i may dip my toes into video content creation and want to have extra cores for work i might do down the road. which is what ties to the motherboard being x570. future proofing myself with the pci-e 4.0. i don't want to have to update the motherboard for a long time. but the different models that are in the x570 series have quite a price range. just a bit confused on what features or build quality i may miss out on.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X   COOLER: Kraken X63   GPU: Zotac Trinity RTX 3090    MOBO:  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  

RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL 16   STORAGE: Viper Gen 4 1Tb SSD VP4100 +Viper NVME SSD 512Gb + Seagate 1 TB HDD 7200rpm  

PSU: NZXT 850 watt 80+ Gold  CASE: NZXT 510 Elite   MONITOR: Primary: LG 48" CX OLED--Secondary Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q-P 1440p 165Hz IPS

Just now, GamerDad_ said:

lol. i'm pretty set on the 3700x. i din't want to drop down to the ryzen 5. even if it is a bit overkill cpu for gaming, i may dip my toes into video content creation and want to have extra cores for work i might do down the road. which is what ties to the motherboard being x570. future proofing myself with the pci-e 4.0. i don't want to have to update the motherboard for a long time. but the different models that are in the x570 series have quite a price range. just a bit confused on what features or build quality i may miss out on.

I wasn't saying you should change it, I was just talking about how @kelvinhall05 thought there was a 3700/3700x, because that's how it goes with the ryzen 5's. 

You should try a pcie gen-4 drive like the sabrent rocket 4 if you really want to utilize the x570, get a 2tb hdd just in case, and sir, please sir, get a less tacky case. Please and thank you. The p300a and the Meshify C don't have the rgb but perform a lot better for less cash lol. But if you're dead set on the rgb, thats the way to go

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

I'd make several changes: 

I'd go with a different mobo, such as the TUF X570 plus, pretty much the budget king along with the gigabyte one.

Secondly i'd get a better power supply and probably full modular. 

Rig 1                                                              Rig 2

DeepCool Macube 550                                  ThermalTake View 31 TG RGB

DeepCool Castle 360mm AIO RGB               FractalDesign Celsius S36 360mm AIO

R9-3900x oc'ed to 4.3ghz all core                  i7-970 oc'ed to 4.4ghz

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB                            12gb Corsair

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC                      ASUS ROG STRIX RX480

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Corsair MP600 NVME                                    Samsung 850 EVO

Adata SX8200 PRO NVME                            Intel 320

Seagate Barracuda                                        Seagate Barracuda x 3

Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue                          Western Digital Black x 1
Logitech G903 Lightspeed                             Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue 

MSI Optix 34" Ultrawide oc'ed to 120hz         Razer Mamba

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

1 minute ago, NubCak said:

Secondly i'd get a better power supply and probably full modular. 

+1 on that 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

10 minutes ago, NubCak said:

I'd go with a different mobo, such as the TUF X570 plus, pretty much the budget king along with the gigabyte one.

I made my list last night after many hours of research. I have been looking this morning and the Gigabyte x570 aorus elite at the same price has wifi and comes much higher reviewed by many of the people on good old youtubes. is that the one you are talking about?

15 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

You should try a pcie gen-4 drive like the sabrent rocket 4 if you really want to utilize the x570

Overkill and a waste of money for a gaming pc.

1 minute ago, GamerDad_ said:

I made my list last night after many hours of research. I have been looking this morning and the Gigabyte x570 aorus elite at the same price has wifi and comes much higher reviewed by many of the people on good old youtubes. is that the one you are talking about?

I don't remember which gigabyte board it was, you can however watch Buildzoid's reviews. 

When i did my research, the TUF x570 gaming plus with Wifi was pretty much the same price. Plus all my previous rigs used TUF boards and I was very happy with how reliable they were, so i didn't bother with trying another brand.

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Shame the X570 Tomahawk wifi isn't out yet. That board is going to be killer value if it comes in at under $200 as rumoured. 

b550! 

Shame the X570 Tomahawk wifi isn't out yet. That board is going to be killer value if it comes in at under $200 as rumoured. 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

im going to mash my keyboard 

?

How flexible are you on the budget? 

I would drop the 5700 XT in favour of something like the RTX 2060 Super, most should be in and around the same price range (probably slightly more, but not enough to break the budget entirely).

I'd also consider dropping the 1TB SSD in favour of a smaller SSD, maybe a 120GB or even 250GB one for your core OS and your favourite games, and get yourself a normal mechanical hard drive for cheap storage.

11 minutes ago, FallOfGondolin said:

I would drop the 5700 XT in favour of something like the RTX 2060 Super, most should be in and around the same price range (probably slightly more, but not enough to break the budget entirely).

I'd also consider dropping the 1TB SSD in favour of a smaller SSD, maybe a 120GB or even 250GB one for your core OS and your favourite games, and get yourself a normal mechanical hard drive for cheap storage.

The 2060S is cheaper than the 5700xt and gets crushed by the (aftermarket) 5700xt .__.

Its the Radeon VII that's absolute dogshit, isn't it? My bad, I got mixed up.

3 hours ago, FallOfGondolin said:

2060s or 2060 both get crushed by the 5700xt

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

4 hours ago, GamerDad_ said:

That most likely is the one they are taking about. It was the motherboard I was going to get, but they were out when I went to get it. Ended up with the Aorus Ultra on sale. Pretty similar from what I understand. 

3 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

The 2060S is cheaper than the 5700xt and gets crushed by the (aftermarket) 5700xt .__.

THIS. I did a ton of research and was initially settled on the 2070 super. But it is over $100 more and the benchmarks that i saw done with many different games were very close to the 5700 xt.

3 hours ago, FallOfGondolin said:

Its the Radeon VII that's absolute dogshit, isn't it? My bad, I got mixed up.

yes all the benchmarks and reviews say this is not worth the money.

1 minute ago, GamerDad_ said:

THIS. I did a ton of research and was initially settled on the 2070 super. But it is over $100 more and the benchmarks that i saw done with many different games were very close to the 5700 xt.

The 5700xt packs the performance of somewhere in-between a 2070-2070S for less money