Force windows to use page file

Pasgui9
Go to solution Solved by merco,
Just now, Pasgui9 said:

Thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately none of these are things that I haven't already tried or didn't already know. I have my games on separate drivers, not on my boot drive, and using the boot drive is in fact the fastest solution because it's an SSD while the others are 5400RPM drives. The stuttering may be because of the slow drives, however that isn't something that I can fix. I'll look more around for a fix however I doubt that I'll find anything

Yeah sorry to hear, I had 8GB single channel for the longest time as well, hope you can upgrade in the "not so far" future.

How can I force windows to use the page file or virtual memory for background tasks while I play games? I have a single stick or DDR4 memory and I've overclocked it as much as I could, but I still get stuttering and it's probably because the game is forced to use the slower virtual memory instead of the much faster RAM. I couldn't find anything online so far. I'm trying to make the most out of my single chanel RAM.

6 minutes ago, merco said:

What game are you playing and how much ram do you have?

8GB, games like Battlefield 1 or Apex Legends don't work without a page file of at least 1.5GB, so I'm certain that they're using virtual memory to work. 

Well you could try moving the page file to a different drive than your boot drive and see if it helps. I doubt you can tell windows to only use pagefile for certain tasks wouldn't it be slowing down your system instead of boosting gaming performance? I think your best shot is go to background apps and disable what you aren't using. Also close any other applications when you are gaming and of course lowering your settings ingame a little bit should also help to clear up some RAM. As long as your RAM isn't maxed out the game shouldn't use the pagefile at all as far as I know. If you look at this for example https://youtu.be/T4fHn65ikdg of the 8GB RAM only 6.2GB are used, and even in the 16GB configuration it never goes over 7.4GB

28 minutes ago, merco said:

Well you could try moving the page file to a different drive than your boot drive and see if it helps. I doubt you can tell windows to only use pagefile for certain tasks wouldn't it be slowing down your system instead of boosting gaming performance? I think your best shot is go to background apps and disable what you aren't using. Also close any other applications when you are gaming and of course lowering your settings ingame a little bit should also help to clear up some RAM. As long as your RAM isn't maxed out the game shouldn't use the pagefile at all as far as I know. If you look at this for example https://youtu.be/T4fHn65ikdg of the 8GB RAM only 6.2GB are used, and even in the 16GB configuration it never goes over 7.4GB

Thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately none of these are things that I haven't already tried or didn't already know. I have my games on separate drivers, not on my boot drive, and using the boot drive is in fact the fastest solution because it's an SSD while the others are 5400RPM drives. The stuttering may be because of the slow drives, however that isn't something that I can fix. I'll look more around for a fix however I doubt that I'll find anything.

Just now, Pasgui9 said:

Thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately none of these are things that I haven't already tried or didn't already know. I have my games on separate drivers, not on my boot drive, and using the boot drive is in fact the fastest solution because it's an SSD while the others are 5400RPM drives. The stuttering may be because of the slow drives, however that isn't something that I can fix. I'll look more around for a fix however I doubt that I'll find anything

Yeah sorry to hear, I had 8GB single channel for the longest time as well, hope you can upgrade in the "not so far" future.

Just now, merco said:

Thank you very much for your time.

Just now, Pasgui9 said:

Thank you very much for your time

Maybe consider buying a used 2x4GB kit and sell your 8GB stick, in theory that could net you some performance for free.

Just now, merco said:

Maybe consider buying a used 2x4GB kit and sell your 8GB stick, in theory that could net you some performance for free.

I did consider this however where I live people aren't into tech nor do they have much cash to spend on it, and because of the current circumstances in which we live I wouldn't like to meet with anyone for second hand parts. We have very slow eBay shipping here too.

2 minutes ago, Pasgui9 said:

I did consider this however where I live people aren't into tech nor do they have much cash to spend on it, and because of the current circumstances in which we live I wouldn't like to meet with anyone for second hand parts. We have very slow eBay shipping here too

Yeah everything kinda sucks atm, I wish you good luck either way though.

You actually can't force things like that. They are coded to move certain tasks and processes to pagefile. Mainly stuff that doesn't need high speeds (Windows doesn't care how fast your drive is, its still slower than RAM). And sadly 8gigs is bit too low amount for games today.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv