Will my new PC build be held back by the CPU?

NozieLess

I am wanting to do a Ryzen build because I want to future-proof it for upgrades later on. My only concern is that the CPU I'm choosing will hold back the GPU.

Below are the parts I tend to use as well as a PC Part Picker link. I hope someone can help me with this question because I cant seem to find a answer.

Thanks in advance

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF (12nm)

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb) 3200mhz

Storage: HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive -- Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 tb 3.5" 7200rpm HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NozieLess/saved/mckqpg

depends on the game and resolution of your screen. for 1440p 75hz it's fine. for 1080p 240hz it will hold you back.

In general, no.

Maybe for lower resolution high framerate gaming, yeah. But this build should be prime for 1440p 60fps gaming.(When resolution increases, load on GPU increases and relative load on CPU decreases, so 'weaker' CPU would be less of an issue)

Hello,

If not aiming for 1080p and high refresh gaming, will be more than fine :)

One thing I would suggest, taking into account current prices of SSD's is to go for largest storage size . E.g. Only windows + COD MW will take pretty much all storage space.. And loading times on SSD make a world of difference.

Depends on the type of your workload . If you are aiming for a gaming build at 1440p , then this should be fine . But if you are looking for a more balanced build or plan to use some some 3D softwares or content creation , you should go for ryzen 5 3600 or a 3700x.

2 hours ago, NozieLess said:

I am wanting to do a Ryzen build because I want to future-proof it for upgrades later on. My only concern is that the CPU I'm choosing will hold back the GPU.

Below are the parts I tend to use as well as a PC Part Picker link. I hope someone can help me with this question because I cant seem to find a answer.

Thanks in advance

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF (12nm)

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb) 3200mhz

Storage: HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive -- Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 tb 3.5" 7200rpm HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NozieLess/saved/mckqpg

What type of monitor are you using? What frame rates are you expecting? 

15 hours ago, boggy77 said:

depends on the game and resolution of your screen. for 1440p 75hz it's fine. for 1080p 240hz it will hold you back.

15 hours ago, boey said:

In general, no.

Maybe for lower resolution high framerate gaming, yeah. But this build should be prime for 1440p 60fps gaming.(When resolution increases, load on GPU increases and relative load on CPU decreases, so 'weaker' CPU would be less of an issue)

14 hours ago, Envit0 said:

Hello,

If not aiming for 1080p and high refresh gaming, will be more than fine :)

One thing I would suggest, taking into account current prices of SSD's is to go for largest storage size . E.g. Only windows + COD MW will take pretty much all storage space.. And loading times on SSD make a world of difference.

13 hours ago, Little_Apprentice said:

Depends on the type of your workload . If you are aiming for a gaming build at 1440p , then this should be fine . But if you are looking for a more balanced build or plan to use some some 3D softwares or content creation , you should go for ryzen 5 3600 or a 3700x.

13 hours ago, steelo said:

What type of monitor are you using? What frame rates are you expecting? 

Thanks for the input. I am targeting 1080p 144hz gaming. A family friend is upgrading his monitor and letting me have his old on. Its a Asus 1080p 144hz monitor. I don't know the exact model but it is one of the ones that was certified for Nvidia 3D Vision. Most games I would be playing would be Destiny 2, Fallout 4, and possible VR later on when I upgrade. I am trying to figure out if the CPU would hold me back any in game performance because Ill have to wait a couple of months before I can get a Ryzen 2000 or 3000 series CPU. Should I just get a RTX 2060 TI instead and use that extra money for a better CPU?

1 hour ago, NozieLess said:

Thanks for the input. I am targeting 1080p 144hz gaming. A family friend is upgrading his monitor and letting me have his old on. Its a Asus 1080p 144hz monitor. I don't know the exact model but it is one of the ones that was certified for Nvidia 3D Vision. Most games I would be playing would be Destiny 2, Fallout 4, and possible VR later on when I upgrade. I am trying to figure out if the CPU would hold me back any in game performance because Ill have to wait a couple of months before I can get a Ryzen 2000 or 3000 series CPU. Should I just get a RTX 2060 TI instead and use that extra money for a better CPU?

For the extra $40 this is definitely worth it:

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

12 hours ago, NozieLess said:

IMO, a 1600AF/2600 may struggle to maintain 144hz @ 1080 in certain AAA titles, I'm not sure how much overclocking would help. I'd look at a Ryzen 3600 and a RX 5700 XT.