AMD APU or Intel CPU for laptop

Bluevoodoo

I'm looking for a laptop for school and light gaming, i often go to friends house to do work. im wondering which is better for productivity software, light gaming (eg. minecraft, etc). Im also wondering which is more battery efficent. Advice please?

Intel for sure - their power efficiency is way better than anything from AMD that I know of.

their both going to use smaller amounts of power under load, if you want extra performance get amd apu and then again theres also intels 1150 cpus they have awesome on board graphics. im able to play skyrim at a mix of highish settings on it    

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Intel. The AMD laptop I have gets way too hot. It shuts down all the time due to heat.

Basically what Windspeed36 said. AMD is good but for power efficiency Intel will beat it.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Intel. The AMD laptop I have gets way too hot. It shuts down all the time due to heat.

That probably depends on the laptop model not the APU from AMD

PC: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.3GHZ | Corsair H100i | ASUS ROG Maximus IV Hero | ASUS R9 280X DCII TOP 3GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHZ | Samsung Evo 250GB | 2TB Seagate Baracudda | Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed

That probably depends on the laptop model not the APU from AMD

Possibly, but I've heard of a few people have had similar issues. I mean, if you want to play games, get an apu. However, from my experience, I would go Intel if I could do it over again.

everything that intel does mainly is for laptop.eficiency and stuff. intel ofc

Could we get more info? There are many mobile APUs and at least 2 generations of Intel CPUs that you can buy.

You could get low power Haswell CPU with Nvidia 720/730 GPU. Or something from AMD with better price to performance.

If you can afford it, try and pick up something with a new Haswell generation processor and Iris Pro graphics, or even discrete graphics; something like a GT 750M would be great for light gaming. You'll be paying a premium for Iris Pro graphics though.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

If you can afford it, try and pick up something with a new Haswell generation processor and Iris Pro graphics, or even discrete graphics; something like a GT 750M would be great for light gaming. You'll be paying a premium for Iris Pro graphics though.

I can't wait to get an ultrabook with Iris pro. Just waiting on a something with good battery life (8+ hours) that doesn't cost more than 800. 

I'm looking for a laptop for school and light gaming, i often go to friends house to do work. im wondering which is better for productivity software, light gaming (eg. minecraft, etc). Im also wondering which is more battery efficent. Advice please?

how much battery do you need? didn't you ask for suggestion few days ago (just to make sure)?

how much battery do you need? didn't you ask for suggestion few days ago (just to make sure)?

i need enough to run microsoft word, chrome, google drive for 3-5 hours. and yes i did ask for suggestions a couple days ago and someone told to look at the amd options so im wondering which one to get.

ok, just want

i need enough to run microsoft word, chrome, google drive for 3-5 hours. and yes i did ask for suggestions a couple days ago and someone told to look at the amd options so im wondering which one to get.

ok, just wanted to make sure

Well, I've recommend you the Acer V7 which I still think is a good choice because you won't really get any better than this if you ask

Two options though:

1. you can get the Asus Q501LA from bestbuy for $660 and it should do what you've asked + it has a very good 1080p IPS screen

2. The Acer V5-572P with a good 1080P IPS screen - should give you at least 4-5 hours of battery (mine does), sufficient power for minecraft and a very good IPS screen which is great for movies and reading and what not

3. Currently Dell sells a refurbished Latitude 3540 for $525 with Radeon 8850M, I5 and 1080p screen

AMD options: the HP Envy 15z-j100, but the screen is lousy, so don't be tempted. Currently I have no good suggestions for AMD for your needs

From what i have read and see AMD APU laptops get usually hotter than Intel cpu's maybe it is the power consumption and haswell gets you better battery life.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite