non-camera guy, bit disappointed with brio stream 4k

Hi

Like many people during this unusual time I've recently bought a webcam to keep in touch with people, both for work and maybe a virtual pint.  I opted for a logitech brio stream 4k.  This is something i would have never have bought in normal times, but fancied buying a needless gadget in uncertain times.  

I've installed logitech capture and have used skype and zoom (not sure about long term security of latter) and every source seems noisy and often soft.  I've turned on every light in the house or made sure that i have as much natural light as possible but every image looks like a low grade phone.  I've fiddled with every setting in capture and nothing seems to make that much of a difference.  Now, I'm a hifi guy, spent way too much over the years on speakers, amps, fancy dancey  cables etc, I know in the grand scheme of things £200 is nothing in the world of cameras: you'd probably pay that for a screw in some fancy gimble, but i'd expect as least as good an image as that from my iphone.  Please will some of you lovely people give me some advice to get the best out of this piece of...? 

General suggestions to start the conversation:

• Have you checked the manufacture's website to download it's drivers and/or software?
  • If you are using windows 10, have you tried Windows Camera?
  • I'm not familiar with this model, does it come with hardware buttons to switch between bitrates or resolutions?

Most webcams generally use small sensors, which means noisy output. 4K doesn’t carry a lot of meaning if the footage is noisy. 

Focusing on lighting can help with getting acceptable image quality however. Not just quantity, but placement of light matters. Even better if you can get a soft light source in the foreground. Within reason, lighting matters as much, if not more than the camera itself. You can squeeze a lot out of a crappy camera if your lighting is on point. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The fact is that webcams (yes even that one) just aren't really that good.  If you already have a good DSLR or other camera, you may be better off looking into something like an Elgato CamLink.  It's a similar price as the dedicated webcam but will let you use that camera instead.  If you don't already have a camera though this doesn't really work budget-wise since that would be quite a bit more money yet.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

28 minutes ago, Alboy1975 said:

Hi

Like many people during this unusual time I've recently bought a webcam to keep in touch with people, both for work and maybe a virtual pint.  I opted for a logitech brio stream 4k.  This is something i would have never have bought in normal times, but fancied buying a needless gadget in uncertain times.  

I've installed logitech capture and have used skype and zoom (not sure about long term security of latter) and every source seems noisy and often soft.  I've turned on every light in the house or made sure that i have as much natural light as possible but every image looks like a low grade phone.  I've fiddled with every setting in capture and nothing seems to make that much of a difference.  Now, I'm a hifi guy, spent way too much over the years on speakers, amps, fancy dancey  cables etc, I know in the grand scheme of things £200 is nothing in the world of cameras: you'd probably pay that for a screw in some fancy gimble, but i'd expect as least as good an image as that from my iphone.  Please will some of you lovely people give me some advice to get the best out of this piece of...? 

from having a c922 I can say logitech will vary depending where I am and the lighting.  I conferenced from work and I was close to the camera (ish) with regular lighting in the room and it was super crisp (1080p 30 fps).  Same camera at home, but the window in my office is basically IN the background, and I dont have it covered with enough other than blinds, so tons of light bleeds in on sunny days.  It auto-adjusts but I feel like esp when light is coming in there it can never fix itself well enough.  In normal lighting its much better.

I am getting the brio and hope its better, but honestly these are still pretty low quality in the camera world (even the brio) and with the auto contrast/lighting/focus features it can only do so well.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

most web cams suck especially without enough light. you likely just need even more light a small LED panel should help.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

if i got led panel, should it be in front of me, behind, to the side, which?  Obviously you cannot tell my exact situation, but generally?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, Alboy1975 said:

cheers guys, appreciate it

Here watch this, recent linus video. Shows hi new setup, including the lights.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 3:20 PM, SansVarnic said:

Here watch this, recent linus video. Shows hi new setup, including the lights.

To be clear though, this is not what you should be shooting for, this is a sort of minimum bar that should be reached.  (In particular with regard to the video quality), if this is the result you get after spending that much money and effort, you'd be better off not wasting your time.  There was honestly no appreciable improvement - certainly much less than there should have been at least.  The audio was another story, but I'm surprised that the modmic was that bad to begin with.  I somehow had it in my head that they sounded much better than that, and if perhaps that actually is true and this was somehow (like the video) just a terrible example, then again I would say don't bother.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.