How to recover data from a samsung j5(2016) with a broken screen?

giorgi1997

Hey,
as the title says I've got a 2016 samsung j5 and its screen is completely smashed.
At first i thought that there was no hope of recovering anything from it, but now I connected it to my PC and it rumbled meaning it actually started charging and it even popped up as a usb device.
Bad news is, since I can't turn on usb-debugging because of the broken screen I can't access the data. Also I'm sure that I'll get the data after enabling usb-debugging, since when I installed a recovery app on y PC it actually recognized that it was a samsung device.at this point it seems that the only way is to use ADB, but I don't want to fuck it up even more.
So can anyone help?

Replace the screen?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Replace the screen?

that is a no go. the whole body is so deformed that I barely managed to put the batteryin

Screen doesn't need to be neatly installed, literally just connect one to the mainboard on a table so you can do the couple of manipulations needed before you discard the whole thing...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I went through the same thing a few months ago with a j3. I just bought the cheapest screen I could find and connected it. Like mentioned above the screen doesn’t have to be installed neatly, it just needs to be connected.

14 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I went through the same thing a few months ago with a j3. I just bought the cheapest screen I could find and connected it. Like mentioned above the screen doesn’t have to be installed neatly, it just needs to be connected.

can you give me any advice regarding where i can find a screen?

14 minutes ago, giorgi1997 said:

can you give me any advice regarding where i can find a screen?

I just got mine from eBay, looked up the phone model + replacement screen and bought the cheapest one. It doesn’t have to be good quality, it just has to work for a few hours until you get all the data off. 

1 hour ago, giorgi1997 said:

that is a no go. the whole body is so deformed that I barely managed to put the batteryin

You can still use the screen without it being in the body...

Just plug it in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

To get out from this kind of trouble you need to get the ruin screen fixed as this is the only option to enable USB-debugging.However, if you had SD card in your phone then some of the data you can store from there by connected the card into system.