PC won't boot after new cpu cooler

GiantSlay007

Hi everyone

After replacing my old corsair h55 AIO watercooler with a be quiet pure rock slim cpu cooler, my computer won't boot.

When turning it on, it turns itself off after ten seconds and turns back on and then stays on. No signal to the monitor and no power to usb peripherals. There is a red DRAM led lit.

Things I already tried:

- switched all my ram sticks, also tried putting in only one stick.

- removing the new cooler and booting without it.

- Put old cooler back

- Check for leaked rubbing alcohol (from removing the old thermal compound)

- Removed everything, only the cpu power, motherboard power and on/off switch is plugged in right now. (also tried connecting the cpu fan to the header so the mobo would think the cpu fan is connected..)

- Checked the cpu socket pins (I think they look just fine? I attached a picture. It's socket 1155 btw.)

...but nothing worked

I did have to put a lot of force on the cooler to put in the fourth pressure pin. It felt like there was a lot of pressure on the cpu from the cooler but assumed this was normal. (the cooler plugs in like an intel stock cooler)

Did I really just break my CPU or CPU socket by replacing the cpu cooler? If so, how can I not make the same mistake again in a new build? pretty f-ing weird.

If you have any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Specs:

i7 3770 (socket 1155)

4x4gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz ddr3

Asus P8Z77-M

GTX 970 (disconnected right now)

Corsair CS650M psu

IMG_5242.JPG

You mention that the 970 is disconnected. The UEFI might be defaulting to PCIE for video out. Try doing a CMOS reset or plug the GPU back in and see what happens.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

maybe check to ensure you didn't knock out a RAM stick.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

You mention that the 970 is disconnected. The UEFI might be defaulting to PCIE for video out. Try doing a CMOS reset or plug the GPU back in and see what happens.

Thanks for your input. I only disconnected the gtx 970 after the problem occurred, just to rule out that the gpu wasn't the problem.

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

maybe check to ensure you didn't knock out a RAM stick.

Thanks for your input, I did, reseated every single one of them, they're fine.

Just now, GiantSlay007 said:

Thanks for your input. I only disconnected the gtx 970 after the problem occurred, just to rule out that the gpu wasn't the problem.

check 24pin cable mb, when i reassembled my old pc it wouldnt boot, i thought it was gpu that was failing out of socket, but 24pin power was the problem :)

2 minutes ago, Kelums said:

check 24pin cable mb, when i reassembled my old pc it wouldnt boot, i thought it was gpu that was failing out of socket, but 24pin power was the problem :)

Thanks for your answer! I reinstalled the 24-pin mobo connector, also checked the 8-pin cpu cable. Still the same problem

Thanks for your answer! I reinstalled the 24-pin mobo connector, also checked the 8-pin cpu cable. Still the same problem

check socket in mobo, maybe send us a photo..

1 minute ago, Kelums said:

check socket in mobo, maybe send us a photo..

There is a picture of the socket attached to the post :) 

There is a picture of the socket attached to the post :) 

aw man i thought it was pins lol xD then reversed question, the cpu's pins photo

3 minutes ago, Kelums said:

aw man i thought it was pins lol xD then reversed question, the cpu's pins photo

Wait.. those are the pins in the socket right? 😛 anyway this is the back of my cpu

IMG_4230.JPG

Did you use an anti-static wristband or at least touch metal before your PC, I'm just asking since I bricked my first built PC with static discharge.

1 minute ago, GiantSlay007 said:

Wait.. those are the pins in the socket right? 😛 anyway this is the back of my cpu

IMG_4230.JPG

it doesnt seem to be broken from i can see, as well as mobo socket. it seems you dont have any other cpu/mobo to check it? check your mobo on case of some electrical discharges as upper guy mentioned, any burnouts on radiators, power chains etc

Just now, G0dSpeed said:

Did you use an anti-static wristband or at least touch metal before your PC, I'm just asking since I bricked my first built PC with static discharge.

No I didn't. O ooo 😬

also if you were putting cooler in your case with mobo tightened with screws, you couldve just tide it up

Yeah I was 15 when I bricked it.....a good first lesson..doesn't mean you did the same thing but I had the same problem where it would power on but I shorted the circuts around the CPU.

10 minutes ago, Kelums said:

it doesnt seem to be broken from i can see, as well as mobo socket. it seems you dont have any other cpu/mobo to check it? check your mobo on case of some electrical discharges as upper guy mentioned, any burnouts on radiators, power chains etc

Sadly I don't have any other socket 1155 motherboard or cpu laying around. I did just check it pretty thoroughly for burnt places or something like that but could not find anything. 

8 minutes ago, Kelums said:

also if you were putting cooler in your case with mobo tightened with screws, you couldve just tide it up

What do you mean exactly?

What do you mean exactly?

find some stick and break it up. like that :D

1 minute ago, Kelums said:

find some stick and break it up. like that :D

Lol I have no idea what you're saying 😂

Lol I have no idea what you're saying 😂

sorry my english is not very cool. maybe "break apart" is what i wanna say :D

3 minutes ago, Kelums said:

sorry my english is not very cool. maybe "break apart" is what i wanna say :D

Hahaha doesn't matter bro. what did you mean by "you couldve just tide it up"?

1 minute ago, GiantSlay007 said:

Hahaha doesn't matter bro. what did you mean by "you couldve just tide it up"?

well my translator said tide = break :D so i used this word. this is what i mean, break it apart into two, a small crack can make your pc wont boot

9 minutes ago, Kelums said:

well my translator said tide = break :D so i used this word. this is what i mean, break it apart into two, a small crack can make your pc wont boot

ooooh like that haha. I just took out the motherboard and put it on a plastic plate, only the psu connected. Still same problem... I can't believe I just broke the first pc I built 7 years ago 😭

did you try resetting the BIOS?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x