SSD Upgrade

Random Bee

Good day, everyone! I know this is really late, especially at this age. But I'm buying an SSD now. I have 2 HDD, 1x 1TB WD Blue and 1x 500GB Seagate. I'm planning to buy a 120GB SSD. My question is, what's the bet config for this setup? and should I split my 1TB into 2 paritions still or leave it at 1?

I would install your OS and important/frequent programs on the SSD, then use the hard drives for games or general storage. For the 1TB I would leave it as 1 partition unless you have a need for multiple separate partitions. 

Definitely put your boot/OS on the SSD, I personally find 120GB just on the edge of too small for putting all of my applications and go with a 250 for budget reasons but that depends on your use case.

IMHO, if you are just using one OS and don't need special/specific filesystems for anything then more partitions is mostly just a organizational decision more than anything. I don't see a problem with leaving it at one partition.

How much can you afford, and are you really using all 1.5 TB you have now? Because a 1TB SSD is very cheap these days. This one is $90

I'd just get the SSD and move everything to it. Too cheap not to.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6BgzK8/adata-su635-960-gb-25-solid-state-drive-asu635ss-960gq-r

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

How much can you afford, and are you really using all 1.5 TB you have now? Because a 1TB SSD is very cheap these days. This one is $90

I'd just get the SSD and move everything to it. Too cheap not to.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6BgzK8/adata-su635-960-gb-25-solid-state-drive-asu635ss-960gq-r

Yea. That's all I can afford. I'm buying a Crucial BX500 120GB SSD. It's about $20 here in the Philippines.

3 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

what mb are you using

I'm buying a Crucial BX500 120GB. :D

3 hours ago, ProjectPatatoe said:

Definitely put your boot/OS on the SSD, I personally find 120GB just on the edge of too small for putting all of my applications and go with a 250 for budget reasons but that depends on your use case.

IMHO, if you are just using one OS and don't need special/specific filesystems for anything then more partitions is mostly just a organizational decision more than anything. I don't see a problem with leaving it at one partition.

Thank you for your honest opinion, man. :D Yea. Does that help my games run smoother / load faster even if it's on the HDD and only one partition?

4 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

what mb are you using

Oh. Sorry, I read that wrong. MB? As in Motherboard? I'm using Redfox H61H2M7 v2.0.

Here's my system specs...

Processor: i5-3550 @3.3GHZ

Memory: 2x 4GB ADATA 1600mhz (8GB in total)

GPU: Powercolor RX 580 4GB

HDD: 1x 1TB WB Blue @7200RPM and 1x 500GB Seagate @7200RPM

PSU: POWERREX 700W

On 4/10/2020 at 2:53 AM, Random Bee said:

Thank you for your honest opinion, man. :D Yea. Does that help my games run smoother / load faster even if it's on the HDD and only one partition?

loading things from the HDD a little bit faster because the OS and other things are on the SSD and no longer taking time away from the HDD. In addition, common system files that the games use will also still be on the SSD anyways (common system libraries, some DirectX, etc). One thing I always do is install Steam on the SSD but set the default steam library location on the HDD.

Having just one partition vs multiple is _practically speaking_ no difference in speed. I wouldn't bother. If anything having a larger partition means having more contiguous free space to use for things like defrag and other flexibility to move things around.

a 120gb SSD is not a smart financial move. the sweet spots are 500gb or 1tb. Are you getting NVME or 2.5? I also wouldn't buy a 2.5ssd for OS+programs now since NVMEs are so much faster and nearly as affordable.

You can do:

500/1tb NVME SSD for all your OS+Programs,

Use your HDDs for storage (and why would u partition anything)

4 hours ago, louisssss said:

a 120gb SSD is not a smart financial move. the sweet spots are 500gb or 1tb. Are you getting NVME or 2.5? I also wouldn't buy a 2.5ssd for OS+programs now since NVMEs are so much faster and nearly as affordable.

You can do:

500/1tb NVME SSD for all your OS+Programs,

Use your HDDs for storage (and why would u partition anything)

Sadly, even though NVME is more cost efficient thana a regular SSD, at my current setup and motherboard, It doesn't support that. :(

4 hours ago, ProjectPatatoe said:

loading things from the HDD a little bit faster because the OS and other things are on the SSD and no longer taking time away from the HDD. In addition, common system files that the games use will also still be on the SSD anyways (common system libraries, some DirectX, etc). One thing I always do is install Steam on the SSD but set the default steam library location on the HDD.

Having just one partition vs multiple is _practically speaking_ no difference in speed. I wouldn't bother. If anything having a larger partition means having more contiguous free space to use for things like defrag and other flexibility to move things around.

Thank you very much for that tip! :) God bless!

What motherboard are you using? 

I can't imagine a 120gb SSD being actually useful. after formatting and windows, that'd leave you with less than 90gb. Depending on how much basic software you're installing + drivers.

Include a couple of games / Steam and your drive is full.. SSDs don't work as well when full. They like to be 50% full, or around that. 

If your MB doesn't have a m.2 slot, i'd suggest a 250gb at least, or how about a whole new budget build with anew mb that supports NVME since you're reinstalling windows anyway

24 minutes ago, louisssss said:

What motherboard are you using? 

I can't imagine a 120gb SSD being actually useful. after formatting and windows, that'd leave you with less than 90gb. Depending on how much basic software you're installing + drivers.

Include a couple of games / Steam and your drive is full.. SSDs don't work as well when full. They like to be 50% full, or around that. 

If your MB doesn't have a m.2 slot, i'd suggest a 250gb at least, or how about a whole new budget build with anew mb that supports NVME since you're reinstalling windows anyway

Yea, might go for a 240GB. But that's the max I can do at the moment. :) Once I got some money, I'll go for a new build.

2 hours ago, ProjectPatatoe said:

Yea i'd also reccomend at leats 250ish minimum. thats large enough at least be more useful in the future.

Okay, man. Thank you for your opinion. :) Thinking the same now. :)