Is my old hardware enough for more than NAS?

I'm looking at using my old rig as a nas and possible Plex server. I'd also like to use it for F@H if possible.

I plan to use Linux, not sure on which distro yet. Mainly to not buy another windows key. All I need, if I can reuse everything, are drives. I need one for the OS and then the rest for storage. I have 6 SATA ports, planning just 2 drives for now, mainly picture/video storage. Planning to do raid 1 for now, if and when I need more space, I'll probably go to raid 6.

My question is if I'll be able to do so with decent performance with what I have laying around. I know it'll be fine as a NAS, but I'd like to use it as a Plex server too, and run F@H when not in use.

I don't have the exact motherboard model but I've got an I5 3470 with 12gb RAM (one of my 4gb sticks died) and Nvidia660 TI and Nvidia 760. 650W PSU.

I'm not sure how many simultaneous streams you'll get out of it or at how high of resolution but this should double as a PLEX server fine.

I can't say the productivity will be very high for F@H but every bit helps assuming you're willing to eat the electrical cost.

20 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm not sure how many simultaneous streams you'll get out of it or at how high of resolution but this should double as a PLEX server fine.

I can't say the productivity will be very high for F@H but every bit helps assuming you're willing to eat the electrical cost.

I won't bother with F@H if it's not much power. I wasn't sure how well it would do. I'm at 2.4mil a day with both of our PCs going, although we actually use them about 2-4 hours a day so I'm doing less than that.

If I could get (1) 1080P stream I'd be happy. 2 at the same time would be great. No 4k here, not big TV watchers. I just made the 1440P upgrade when I rebuilt my PC.

2 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

I won't bother with F@H if it's not much power. I wasn't sure how well it would do. I'm at 2.4mil a day with both of our PCs going, although we actually use them about 2-4 hours a day so I'm doing less than that.

If I could get (1) 1080P stream I'd be happy. 2 at the same time would be great. No 4k here, not big TV watchers. I just made the 1440P upgrade when I rebuilt my PC.

If you can deal with the electrical cost I'd still chip it in.

My expectation is it should work fine. Have to admit I don't use PLEX though so take it with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

If you can deal with the electrical cost I'd still chip it in.

I'll test it and see. Probably do that before I buy storage drives just to get the system running, and it's something to play with now.

It's still heating season for the most part so I really don't mind running electronics for a good cause.

That should be fine.

I ran a 3570 Plex server on top of a 4x mdadm RAID 5 array hosted in a colo without any real issues.  It won't transcode a dozen streams concurrently but most clients support direct play anyway.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C