ADVICE NEEDED - I7 9700K VS RYZEN 7 3800X

Hello,

I'am looking for a computer upgrade and started to look for my options. 

I build two different systems one with Intel CPU and the other with AMD.

I am using Intel CPU's for the past 20 years now and really fixate on them.

The system is design to support general use, editing, coding. 

Nothing to heavy or games.

The two system cost came to a $17 difference. So money is not much of a factor in this decision.

Obviously what most concern me is the CPU&Motherboard combination on both systems, which one will give me more stability with overclocking and.

Intel : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RcgtHB

AMD: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xny4wh

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge!

the higher threadcount of the 3800x makes it a better performer than the i7 9700k. though if you are going that route, the 3700x is more cost efficient. but if money is not an issue, just jump straight to the 3900x as that will vastly outperform that i7 9700k in workstation (except in adobe. idk why though)

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

On 4/8/2020 at 5:11 PM, TalElmishali said:

I am using Intel CPU's for the past 20 years now and really fixate on them.

The system is design to support general use, editing, coding. 

Nothing to heavy or games.

The two system cost came to a $17 difference. So money is not much of a factor in this decision.

Obviously what most concern me is the CPU&Motherboard combination on both systems, which one will give me more stability with overclocking and.

Intel : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RcgtHB

AMD: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xny4wh

Intel is far behind in everything else and is only edging it slightly in gaming when comparing similar price points, for your type of usage an AMD system would be more appropriate.

Swapped the motherboard and put in a 3900X, that's a 12 Core CPU.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Are the 3900X still on sale?  They were about $100 more than a 3700X on sale.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Buy some Arctic P12/14 fans instead of those expensive Noctua ones. You can also get cheaper storage than Samsung who are also overpriced. An Adata SX8200 pro, Sabrent Rocket or HP EX920/950 etc.

Any thoughts about the Motherboards, stability and overclocking? 

I am relay happy with my current Gigabyte which is one reason for me picking those motherboards.

As well read good reviews for those VRM's.

1 hour ago, TalElmishali said:

Any thoughts about the Motherboards, stability and overclocking? 

I am relay happy with my current Gigabyte which is one reason for me picking those motherboards.

As well read good reviews for those VRM's.

The Gigabyte boards are fine in both lists. 

If you go AMD, you would need to pick up a discrete graphics card, as Ryzen 7 and 9 do not have integrated graphics.

However, the i7-9700k has integrated graphics.

You could use a 3700x instead of a 3800x and use some of the $130 you save in getting a cheap graphics card just for a video output. The 3700x can be overclocked to match the performance of the 3800x, since you have a good cooler.

I wouldn't buy the i7-9700k because it is more expensive than the 3700x, and not as powerful.

My PC : Ryzen 7 3800X | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Aorus RTX 2080 SUPER | NZXT H710 | MP600 2 TB, 970 EVO Plus 2 TB, WD Black 4 TB HDD | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750W | NZXT KRAKEN X72 + a bunch of corsair ql rgb fans

Peripherals : G Pro Wireless, G513 Carbon (Linear), Corsair Virtuoso RGB SE , LG 38GL950G-B

Here's what I came up with; I did many of the aforementioned tweaks/adjustments in this thread to bring the cost down (so you could get more bang for your buck):

In comparison to the systems you had made (OP), you are saving; $233.61 compared to your original AMD build, and $250.61 compared to your original Intel build. I did a lot of the recommendations other forum members had made in this thread to reduce the total costs. Firstly, the performance difference between an NH-D15 and a Dark Rock Pro 4 is negligible (but you are saving nearly $15, and retaining a similar aesthetic). I also additionally saw that for practically the same amount of money, you could get a significantly better storage setup than you had in both systems (3TB of SSD storage vs only 1TB with your builds. Plus here, you gain 2TB more overall; 9TB vs 7TB). Lastly, with this build, you get a better Memory/Ram kit as well (faster kit [3600MHz vs 3200MHz], but for less money).

I don't see anywhere PSU (Power Supply) or GPU (Video Card) recommendations being included, but both of those will be needed too. Unless, you are planning on recycling both from an older system (not normally recommend with PSUs, depending on age). 

On 4/8/2020 at 11:54 AM, you have the corona virus said:

If you go AMD, you would need to pick up a discrete graphics card, as Ryzen 7 and 9 do not have integrated graphics.

However, the i7-9700k has integrated graphics.

You could use a 3700x instead of a 3800x and use some of the $130 you save in getting a cheap graphics card just for a video output. The 3700x can be overclocked to match the performance of the 3800x, since you have a good cooler.

I wouldn't buy the i7-9700k because it is more expensive than the 3700x, and not as powerful.

Thank you very much! I do have a graphic card I am going to use.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, BiG StroOnZ said:

Here's what I came up with; I did many of the aforementioned tweaks/adjustments in this thread to bring the cost down (so you could get more bang for your buck):

In comparison to the systems you had made (OP), you are saving; $233.61 compared to your original AMD build, and $250.61 compared to your original Intel build. I did a lot of the recommendations other forum members had made in this thread to reduce the total costs. Firstly, the performance difference between a NH-D15 and a Dark Rock Pro 4 is negligible (but you are saving nearly $15, and retaining a similar aesthetic). I also additionally saw that for practically the same amount of money, you could get a significantly better storage setup than you had in both systems (3TB of SSD storage vs only 1TB with your builds. Plus here, you gain 2TB more overall; 9TB vs 7TB). Lastly, with this build, you get a better Memory/Ram kit as well (faster kit [3600MHz vs 3200MHz], but for less money).

I don't see anywhere PSU (Power Supply) or GPU (Video Card) recommendations being included, but both of those will be needed too. Unless, you are planning on recycling both from an older system (not normally recommend with PSUs, depending on age). 

Thank you very much for the detailed answer! I do have graphic card and PSU which is only year and half old.