2080 ti Compatibility Question

TheOnlyNate

I have a 7 year old computer that I built.  It was a $2,500 system when I built it and it still runs very well.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

CPU: i5-3570K overclocked to 4.1 GHz, water cooled with a Corsair AIO

Memory: 32GB of DDR3

My question is if I can save money by just replacing the graphics card I have to a new RTX 2080 ti instead of building a whole new computer.  I’ve done some googling, but I really haven’t kept up on tech hardware over the last 7 years.

Maybe just get a 1660 super for that PC. Otherwise, you'll face quite a severe bottleneck in basically every game. What is your performance target?

I also fail to see how buying an RTX 2080 ti is "saving money"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

For the price of a single RTX 2080Ti you could get all of this and have cash left over:

Or even this at the price of a single 2080Ti

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Maybe just get a 1660 super for that PC. Otherwise, you'll face quite a severe bottleneck in basically every game. What is your performance target?

I also fail to see how buying an RTX 2080 ti is "saving money"

Thanks for the reply.  The saving money part was just buying a graphics card upgrade instead of building a whole new computer where I would get a RTX 2080 ti plus all the other parts required for a new computer.  

I want to be able to play The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and other open world games.  I want to make sure the graphics card will last for an extended period of time where future games won’t have an issue running.  I could always transplant the 2080 ti into another computer build at some point if I wanted to do a complete rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

For the price of a single RTX 2080Ti you could get all of this and have cash left over:

Or even this at the price of a single 2080Ti

Thanks for the options on building a new computer.  I didn’t expect that from anyone.  Doing a complete rebuild would be a last resort option for me at this point.  If I were to do a new build then I’d probably go with a high end Ryzen and a 2080 ti and fork out the big bucks.  I have the money, but I’d rather not spend it right now with the Coronavirus uncertainty.  I was looking for a “cheaper” option to get me caught up on some games that I haven’t been able to play yet.  

1 hour ago, TheOnlyNate said:

I have a 7 year old computer that I built.  It was a $2,500 system when I built it and it still runs very well.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

CPU: i5-3570K overclocked to 4.1 GHz, water cooled with a Corsair AIO

Memory: 32GB of DDR3

My question is if I can save money by just replacing the graphics card I have to a new RTX 2080 ti instead of building a whole new computer.  I’ve done some googling, but I really haven’t kept up on tech hardware over the last 7 years.

I have that exact same CPU (now my gf's PC), and man.. Im telling you, you'll be a hugeeee Bottleneck if you slap a 2080 Ti in it.

Better go with a GTX 1660 Ti or a 1070/2060 Super and you'll be fine, but with a 2080 Ti you'll lose alot of its power and purpose. :/

Even with my old 980 Ti and the i5 3570k it ran really bad, (And I OC'd my i5 to like 4.2/4.3GHz).

With a i9 9900 and 980 Ti, it pretty much opened up 50-60FPS that were missing with the i5.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

4 minutes ago, StareX said:

I have that exact same CPU (now my gf's PC), and man.. Im telling you, you'll be a hugeeee Bottleneck if you slap a 2080 Ti in it.

Better go with a GTX 1660 Ti or a 1070/2060 Super and you'll be fine, but with a 2080 Ti you'll lose alot of its power and purpose. :/

Even with my old 980 Ti and the i5 3570k it ran really bad, (And I OC'd my i5 to like 4.2/4.3GHz).

With a i9 9900 and 980 Ti, it pretty much opened up 50-60FPS that were missing with the i5.

Thanks!  I’ll look into those GPU options.  I’m sure I’ll end up building a new computer in the not too far off future so I was hoping to reuse the GPU I buy, but I also wanted it to be relatively “future proof” for the new build.  That’s why I asked about the 2080 ti.  Obviously it’s pretty much the latest and greatest. 

1 minute ago, TheOnlyNate said:

Thanks!  I’ll look into those GPU options.  I’m sure I’ll end up building a new computer in the not too far off future so I was hoping to reuse the GPU I buy, but I also wanted it to be relatively “future proof” for the new build.  That’s why I asked about the 2080 ti.  Obviously it’s pretty much the latest and greatest. 

If you're looking to future proof I would hold off. There are rumblings of the 3000 series (or whatever it could be called) coming from Nvidia in the next few months.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, TheOnlyNate said:

Future proof? Alright... buy a 2080 Super.

Why? I asked the same question, should I go with a 2080 Ti or a Super? Hmm, I checked the charts, checked the benchmark scores, checked how much money I got...

I went with the 2080 Super, OC'd it alittle bit and bam, I got the FPS I wanted, I didn't need the 2080 Ti because I don't think a difference of 7-8 fps is gonna do much.

I got a 2K Monitor, 165Hz and FPS matters to me, I play competitive too, so I went with a 2080 Super (even though I believe in going over-kill, I decided not too), after-all, there's a pandemic outside and the 3000 series are coming out in September/August, sooo...

Ask me anything.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

If you're looking to future proof I would hold off. There are rumblings of the 3000 series (or whatever it could be called) coming from Nvidia in the next few months.

If I hold off on buying a GPU right now, I won’t be able to play those games I wanted to.  My current GPU can’t handle them.  Once the Coronavirus is over then I’m back to work without any time to play games.  Such is life.  It sounds like my system won’t handle a 2080 ti so it probably won’t handle the 3000 series either.  

Future proof? Alright... buy a 2080 Super.

Why? I asked the same question, should I go with a 2080 Ti or a Super? Hmm, I checked the charts, checked the benchmark scores, checked how much money I got...

I went with the 2080 Super, OC'd it alittle bit and bam, I got the FPS I wanted, I didn't need the 2080 Ti because I don't think a difference of 7-8 fps is gonna do much.

I got a 2K Monitor, 165Hz and FPS matters to me, I play competitive too, so I went with a 2080 Super (even though I believe in going over-kill, I decided not too), after-all, there's a pandemic outside and the 3000 series are coming out in September/August, sooo...

Do you think I’ll have a hugeeee bottleneck with a 2080 Super?   I don’t get big into what the stats are on benchmarks.  I just want to play games and have it not detrimentally lag on me.  

33 minutes ago, TheOnlyNate said:

Do you think I’ll have a hugeeee bottleneck with a 2080 Super?   I don’t get big into what the stats are on benchmarks.  I just want to play games and have it not detrimentally lag on me.  

I can see a 20% CPU impact on FPS with a 2080 Super, which is about 30fps or so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=i5+3570k+RTX+2080+Super&oq=i5+3570k+RTX+2080+Super&aqs=chrome..69i57.5061j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I mean, you can look up benchmarks with a similar-performance CPU and determine that yourself.

At the end of the day, it's up to you.

If it was me? I'd buy a 2080 Super and dream of 30 more fps when I later on got enough money to buy a new Mobo+CPU+RAM ..

Ask me anything.

I can see a 20% CPU impact on FPS with a 2080 Super, which is about 30fps or so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=i5+3570k+RTX+2080+Super&oq=i5+3570k+RTX+2080+Super&aqs=chrome..69i57.5061j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I mean, you can look up benchmarks with a similar-performance CPU and determine that yourself.

At the end of the day, it's up to you.

If it was me? I'd buy a 2080 Super and dream of 30 more fps when I later on got enough money to buy a new Mobo+CPU+RAM ..

Sweet!   I am so out of touch with things lately that I didn’t even think to google exactly those two specs to see what the fps would look like.  I think I have the info I need to make a decision now.   Thanks for all your help.