TotalAV mass buying ad spots on YouTube, is shady

Trusted Net is selling three AV products that are virtually the same, TotalAV, PCProtect and ScanGuard. The first one is being heavily advertised with pre-rolls and banners on YouTube right now and I've just seen a moderately big channel take a sponsorship as well. But they don't appear legit. I do IT security and have never heard of them, but that doesn't mean that they can't just be sublicensing a good AV engine with their own UI and extra features. But no. They appear to be barely above scareware.

First red flag is the 30 minuted count-down on the offer in your video description. That is a (kinda ridiculous) scare tactic no legitimate AV vendor should use, since AV is all about trust.

They also have an affiliate program promising up to 70€ per user convinced. That is unrealistic and will no doubt lead to fake reviews and underhanded marketing by those affiliates. This appears to be why they have good ratings on some, terrible ratings on other sites.

Third red flag are the many, recent complains about them on the US Better Business Bureau website. Malwarebytes, which is reputable, rates it as "potentially unwanted program", same as all the dubious system optimization programs that will tell you that there are 85 fixable issues but will only disclose them after payment. Some people have been saying that it's an outright scam, but I don't think that's quite true. Just almost.

It also just flat-out isn't very good.

scummy.png

You copy and paste this on several forums then?  You wanna fix the formatting for us?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

You copy and paste this on several forums then?  You wanna fix the formatting for us?  

Nah, just from my text editor, working on the formatting. Too bad reset formatting doesn't work.

EDIT: Fixed

There's always shady software being pushed on YouTube. Look at all of the creators irresponsibly pushing VPNs, LTT included. Anyone versed in security knows you shouldn't touch remote VPNs with a 10 foot poll (you're literally handing over everything you do online to them and just trusting they won't peek or tinker), yet creators don't care. I doubt they'll care about sketchy AV either.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

If we would go by company which buys A LOT of ad space, NordVPN is top of my black list. There was a time when they had bought pretty much all channels I follow except LTT. So far only Jay has made video about NordVPN sponsorship (about data leak and company addressing it properly).

I've heard about TotalAV before. And this style of advertising isn't new either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I hate it when you're watching a video, it's really getting good and you suddenly get "Adbushed" right in the middle of it with no warning.

It's beyond annoying and makes me NOT want to buy what's being stuck in my face within an ad.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

The salepage shown in the first post together with that ”fake” discount counter is very similar to NordVPN website, NordVPN does similar mass advertising thing as well. NordVPN even has similar popup but without counter.

At least last month they both had similar fake sale. It always resets, nordVPN sale has been going on for years maybe, always about 70% off. 

nordvpn.thumb.jpg.bf7268ae609dca925dd88879ecc951ff.jpg

No, it's not my real IP address

16 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If we would go by company which buys A LOT of ad space, NordVPN is top of my black list

But have you heard about Raid shadow legends? RAID shadow legends is a free to play...... Get a free epic champion....... Only for my viewers

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒