Ryzen 3800X - Stock cooler performing slightly better than Noctua NH D15

Animator_Alex

I was getting very high temps on my 3800x with a Noctua NH D15, I was getting around 90c on Cinebench. So I tried going back to the stock cooler to see if it was something wrong with the Noctua and to my surprise the stock cooler is only getting around 86c on Cinebench. Not too much of a difference but still, the stock cooler shouldn't be performing better than the Noctua right? What could the potential issues be with the Noctua cooler? I suspect it's not making full contact with the CPU but i'm unsure about that.

I'm almost sure it's because the D15 didn't contact fully with the CPU. Try installing it again.

It really is dependent on case flow.

Nice thing about the stock cooler, the fan points down and the VRMs get some air flow from that. 

HeatPipe cooler from AMD has been designed the same for some years now with minor variations, excluding the Fan changes.

It's rated for 140w processors. A 3800x shouldn't really need more than the stock Wraith Prism.

There's a lot to consider, but the Noctua is the superior cooler.  If you want to test them you need to set a static multiplier and voltage.  Ryzen will boost higher with more cooling capacity so unless you set the multiplier and voltage then you're not comparing apples to apples.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Sounds like you didn't mount it correctly and should also reapply new thermal paste.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

90c on cinebench r20 with d15? The D15 is massive, and it performs identical to 240/280mm aio. Something is wrong with the mounting.