Can I still run 2x HD7950 cards in crossfire?

lazerphazer21

I currently have an XFX HD7950 card in my pc from 6 or 7 years ago. I've found another on ebay for around £25. Is there anything stopping me from running them in crossfire in this day and age? (mostly just for the hell of it) Like have amd or microsoft stopped supporting it? My motherboard has a crossfire logo on it and enough pcie slots with the right spacing.
The card is sold as untested so if I do win the auction I'll test it by itself first as if this goes to plan I'll need a beefier power supply with more 8-pin power, the current one is only a basic corsair 450w.
I have a AMD FX8320 cpu in a gigabyte motherboard if that helps.

Thanks!

I sometimes use the pen from my wacom tablet to type cuz i'm too lazy to set it down :P

You'll need at least a 650W power supply for this (and I would not cheap out on it). 

If you already had a capable PSU I'd say sure go for it 25 pounds is not a bad deal, but with a new PSU this can get pricey really fast. 
Also it's never a given how well a game runs with Crossfire, performance can vary heavily from game to game.

I think your money would be better spent on a used RX 570, it'll get you more consistent results and more performance overall.

Yes, you could run in Crossfire. Should you? No..

A HD 7950 consumes up to 150w ... the 450w psu could power both if you really want to try it out... and you could get a couple  2 x molex / sata  -> pci-e 8 pin to do it.

Crossfire doesn't have requirements SLI does (at least pci-e x8 slot and license), it will work even on pci-e x4 slot connected to chipset.  So, it will work on your board.

However, few video games support crossfire, fewer will in the future, and it's an old generation of cards that's basically no longer supported by modern video games.

Also when you enable crossfire you're basically splitting the video card memory ... with 2GB vram video cards, games will behave like your video card has 1 GB of actual memory so good luck running games with high quality settings.

7 hours ago, lazerphazer21 said:

My motherboard has a crossfire logo on it and enough pcie slots with the right spacing.

Check if your mainboard support 8x/8x PCIE. If the 2nd slot only support 4x don't bother with CFX. 

Also i'm against CFX in 2020 especially on GPU that is almost a decade old unless you want to experience the nightmare figuring why it "doesn't work as intended".

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

A HD 7950 consumes up to 150w

Around 200w tbh unless it's one of the 1st gen 7950 with 800mhz stock clock. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well, I won the auction. Having said that, the card might not even be working, I need to test it when it arrives. 🤞
Thanks for the advice everyone!
I'll update this thread with whatever happens.

I sometimes use the pen from my wacom tablet to type cuz i'm too lazy to set it down :P

• 5 weeks later...

Update: the card arrived in completely inadequate packaging and bricked.

RIP in piece