Most Stable Drivers For RX 5700 xt?

SkyPhantom

Title says it all. Every driver I've tried for my Rx 5700 xt has had some sort of problem, primarily random black screens. Luckily I'm not doing anything important, but I don't like my primary display cutting out for 5 seconds in the middle of an intense game. I was wondering if there were any driver you guys could recommend that wouldn't be plagued with problems.

Mesh Devil

AMD Ryzen 3600 | MSI b450 Tomohawk MAX G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 3200mhz

Powercolor Red Devil RX 5700 xt

Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

Corsair RM650x

Fractal Design Meshify C Tempered Glass

Use DDU to remove drivers and roll them back 1 at a time until you get one stable for your card, from what Im reading on the forums daily there is no "recommended" stable driver version available.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I would also try updating your chipset and bios drivers as well. A lot of issues that seem to be graphics driver related end up not being that, so it can't hurt to try. Also note that many people have reported that multiple uninstall and reinstalls are required to get it working just right for some reason.

I was using 19.12.2 for the longest time and found that driver version to me the most stable. I also added a -100mV undervolt to the card which decreased load temperatures and did not impact my performance more than 1-5fps in heavy use cases. (Stress tested for 2 hours on Heaven after tweaking). That being said, I kept my undervolt and updated to the newest recommended driver version right off of AMD's website. Version 20.2.2 I believe was the revision I updated to. I also have not had any issues as of yet with this driver and I have been on it for a little over a week. Noticed a drastic improvment in the snow tesselation on RDR2 as well with this driver update.

*NOTE* you do not have to DDU your drivers every time you do an update. It is only done when you experience substantial issues with that specific driver. With that being said I would try in this case to do a DDU of your current drivers and revert to 19.12.2 and see what that does for you, but your mileage may vary as every card is different. I have the Asus reference, and if you have an MSI or an ROG Strix or Saphire card it may be a little different.

I hope this helps you out, please feel free to PM me if you want some more assistance and I will to my best to help you. 

Cheers!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

9 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I would also try updating your chipset and bios drivers as well. A lot of issues that seem to be graphics driver related end up not being that, so it can't hurt to try. Also note that many people have reported that multiple uninstall and reinstalls are required to get it working just right for some reason.

Chipset and bios drivers are definitely up to date

8 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

I was using 19.12.2 for the longest time and found that driver version to me the most stable. I also added a -100mV undervolt to the card which decreased load temperatures and did not impact my performance more than 1-5fps in heavy use cases. (Stress tested for 2 hours on Heaven after tweaking). That being said, I kept my undervolt and updated to the newest recommended driver version right off of AMD's website. Version 20.2.2 I believe was the revision I updated to. I also have not had any issues as of yet with this driver and I have been on it for a little over a week. Noticed a drastic improvment in the snow tesselation on RDR2 as well with this driver update.

*NOTE* you do not have to DDU your drivers every time you do an update. It is only done when you experience substantial issues with that specific driver. With that being said I would try in this case to do a DDU of your current drivers and revert to 19.12.2 and see what that does for you, but your mileage may vary as every card is different. I have the Asus reference, and if you have an MSI or an ROG Strix or Saphire card it may be a little different.

I hope this helps you out, please feel free to PM me if you want some more assistance and I will to my best to help you. 

Cheers!

That's weird because at the moment I'm using 19.12.2 and having issues. Perhaps I should try using 20.2.2 then. I'd also like to note that I primarily use the new Edge browser because, looking at some of the release notes for certain drivers, Edge seems to cause some problems. If it helps my exact graphics card is the PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT (Running the factory OC BIOS).   

Mesh Devil

Corsair RM650x

8 minutes ago, SkyPhantom said:

That's weird because at the moment I'm using 19.12.2 and having issues. Perhaps I should try using 20.2.2 then. I'd also like to note that I primarily use the new Edge browser because, looking at some of the release notes for certain drivers, Edge seems to cause some problems. If it helps my exact graphics card is the PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT (Running the factory OC BIOS).   

Yeah as mentioned your mileage will vary depending on the manufacturer of the card and no GPU is made identically. I'm a chrome user myself, I dont really use any microsoft browsers. I should also mention that I performed my undervolt and any tweaking on GPU Tweak by Asus instead of Radeon Settings. It may not hurt to turn things like enhanced sync, and potentially any type of hardware acceleration off. See if that helps you at all. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

20 minutes ago, SkyPhantom said:

I have the exact same card. I don't use edge for browsing but its my default PDF viewer and I've not had any issues with it on any version of graphics driver that I have used. And like @CPT_BEEMO suggested, definitely turn of enhanced sync, that cause so many issues for me when it was turned on. But other than that drivers have been great too me.

I've only been using the most current drivers since I got my 5700xt in September and the only time I've encountered a problem was, it was always fixed by the next update.  The last time I experienced any sort of issue was back in December.  So I'm currently on 20.3.1.  I'll be updating to 20.4.1 today.  Good luck. 

@SkyPhantomJust fyi, like I mentioned above, a lot of black screens and other issues that are being blamed on AMD's graphics drivers end up not being driver related. Ran into a couple of threads on Reddit over the past couple of days with people complaining about black screens not being fixed by any driver versions, but they all later found out it was RAM related (mostly fixed by lower RAM clock speeds or by bad kits) even though they had no other issues with it in memory benchmarks. I would look into that as well, not sure what kind of ram you are running though.

45 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

@SkyPhantomJust fyi, like I mentioned above, a lot of black screens and other issues that are being blamed on AMD's graphics drivers end up not being driver related. Ran into a couple of threads on Reddit over the past couple of days with people complaining about black screens not being fixed by any driver versions, but they all later found out it was RAM related (mostly fixed by lower RAM clock speeds or by bad kits) even though they had no other issues with it in memory benchmarks. I would look into that as well, not sure what kind of ram you are running though.

Yeah, I've had my suspicions that my problems could be RAM related. I've run the Ryzen DRAM Checker memory test twice to over 250%. Is there any other way I could check my memory? I have the G.skill Ripjaws V 2 x 8gb @3200mhz RAM kit btw. 

Mesh Devil

Corsair RM650x

4 hours ago, SkyPhantom said:

Yeah, I've had my suspicions that my problems could be RAM related. I've run the Ryzen DRAM Checker memory test twice to over 250%. Is there any other way I could check my memory? I have the G.skill Ripjaws V 2 x 8gb @3200mhz RAM kit btw. 

From what I read on the threads, a lot of people also said they ran every memory test under the sun with no issues. I would simply start by lower the clock speed/settings on your ram (I assume you have it set to run at 3200mhz like its rated for). Then simply see if you notice a difference. If you have another DDR4 kit you can borrow to try, try that too. 

33 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

From what I read on the threads, a lot of people also said they ran every memory test under the sun with no issues. I would simply start by lower the clock speed/settings on your ram (I assume you have it set to run at 3200mhz like its rated for). Then simply see if you notice a difference. If you have another DDR4 kit you can borrow to try, try that too. 

I don't have access to any spare RAM sticks, but I'll mess with the speeds, although I've had it a couple times now where my primary monitor will go black and I have to refresh my graphics driver to fix it. That doesn't seem to be a memory problem to me, although I've also been experiencing some system crashes as of late. 

Mesh Devil

Corsair RM650x