[Unofficial LTT] NZXT H440 Owners Club

where should i plug that in...? what does it do?

and do i need to buy extra cable to plug that fan hub thing to my board...?

3 pin to your fan hub, molex to cable from psu.

the fan hub isn't controlled by your mobo. not that i know of.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

3 pin to your fan hub, molex to cable from psu.

the fan hub isn't controlled by your mobo. not that i know of.

as this is my 1st build please bear with my stupid questions :( i swear i google'd but i couldn't find the answer... :D

so.. what is a fan hub...?

is that the spiky 4-pin system fan connectors on my motherboard..? the one labeled (on my msi board) sysfan 1 sysfan 2 sysfan 3 on my board..? is there where i should plug it..?

as this is my 1st build please bear with my stupid questions :( i swear i google'd but i couldn't find the answer... :D

so.. what is a fan hub...?

is that the spiky 4-pin system fan connectors on my motherboard..? the one labeled (on my msi board) sysfan 1 sysfan 2 sysfan 3 on my board..? is there where i should plug it..?

at the back of the mobo tray, you have this little board that has like 10 3 pin fan connectors there. that is your fan hub. you plug that 3 pin into the bottom one, i believe it's numbered 11, then the rest of your case fans (except cpu fan, that goes to the cpu_fan header)

nzxt_h440_20.jpg

i plug mine into the bottom fan header.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

at the back of the mobo tray, you have this little board that has like 10 3 pin fan connectors there. that is your fan hub. you plug that 3 pin into the bottom one, i believe it's numbered 11, then the rest of your case fans (except cpu fan, that goes to the cpu_fan header)

nzxt_h440_20.jpg

i plug mine into the bottom fan header.

ill take picture of mine and will edit this post in a jiff

A6sKwud.jpg

you see on mine, it's already plugged from the start. maybe the local distributor already plugged it when they sticker-tape their warranty seal onto the case. that thing has 2 spike and 1 hole so i can't plug it in to my motherboard.

here's another picture (see red arrow on picture below)

RNVSSr5.jpg

i retraced the cable (because from the start everything has already cable tied very tightly from the get-go so i carefully retraced it.

i found that that squared 2 spike 1 hole connector ends on the top left fan6...

ill take picture of mine and will edit this post in a jiff

A6sKwud.jpg

you see on mine, it's already plugged from the start. maybe the local distributor already plugged it when they sticker-tape their warranty seal onto the case. that thing has 2 spike and 1 hole so i can't plug it in to my motherboard.

here's another picture (see red arrow on picture below)

RNVSSr5.jpg

i retraced the cable (because from the start everything has already cable tied very tightly from the get-go so i carefully retraced it.

i found that that squared 2 spike 1 hole connector ends on the top left fan6...

ok hang on, attached to the molex should be the fan header. you plug that into fan1 on the fan hub, the molex to the psu cable.

if you traced that connector to fan 6 i think thats an extension. I remember a fan extension going up the case to the back for the exhaust fan.

ok hang on, attached to the molex should be the fan header. you plug that into fan1 on the fan hub, the molex to the psu cable.

if you traced that connector to fan 6 i think thats an extension. I remember a fan extension going up the case to the back for the exhaust fan.

yes. the one attached to the molex is on fan1 on the fan hub (from the start :D)

i took off the thing, and here's the picture lWZ1JAU.jpg

it's from fan6... so that's an extension...? what does it do..? is that just an extra that NZXT generously put there in case im installing 2nd exhaust fan?

yes. the one attached to the molex is on fan1 on the fan hub (from the start :D)

plug the molex end to your psu cable, you're good to go.

i believe that extension is for one of the default case fans. i can't really remember. in any case, if you don't need it you don't have to plug it in.

just make sure everything is plugged in.

case fans, the led controller etc.

i believe that extension is for one of the default case fans. i can't really remember. in any case, if you don't need it you don't have to plug it in.

just make sure everything is plugged in.

case fans, the led controller etc.

You are correct, it is just an extension fan cable.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

You are correct, it is just an extension fan cable.

it's been 2 months since I opened my case, memory is a little foggy. :lol:

I can't remember what that cable was originally included for. I just kinda remember disconnecting it from one of the fans.

it's been 2 months since I opened my case, memory is a little foggy. :lol:

I can't remember what that cable was originally included for. I just kinda remember disconnecting it from one of the fans.

Yeah, when I was putting together my daughters H440, i seen it, pulled it out and said YAY another extension for a future build :D never needed it for the H440, but it is very nice that NZXT included it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

Yeah, when I was putting together my daughters H440, i seen it, pulled it out and said YAY another extension for a future build :D never needed it for the H440, but it is very nice that NZXT included it.

the H440 is simply such a value case. the build quality is excellent and the price is way worth it  :D

the H440 is simply such a value case. the build quality is excellent and the price is way worth it  :D

I agree, it is one awesome case for the price for sure and I honestly really like the zero 5.25 bays, make the case look that much cleaner.

I agree, it is one awesome case for the price for sure and I honestly really like the zero 5.25 bays, make the case look that much cleaner.

absolutely right, in a sense 5.25 bays are more niche than standard imo. dvd drives can be bought as external ones for that rare occasion you need 1, removing the need for internal drives.

pheww... glad to hear that. i see. so this is what fan extension looks like. i took it out of the case. thank you very much guys for helping me ^_^.

again, i swear i google'd and youtube'd before building this :D

btw,,, i'd like to ask about connecting the case usb 3 connector to the motherboard. i have major difficulties doing this. i've tried two methods.

method 1 is putting it through the middle rubber grommet. due to the usb 3 positioning on my motherboard, i can't bend the case usb 3 cable gently. i can bend it with a lot of force, but i'm not sure whether i should do that or not.

z8ke6U2.jpg

method number 2, is easier to plug it in, but impossible to remove. on method no.2 i re-route the usb3 case cable around the hard drive space. however, because the white steel next to the rubber grommet is a little slanted (bend outward)... so after i plugged it in, it stayed there and almost impossible to remove. i'm afraid if i remove it someday, i'll bend the board pins...

cSbnVlm.jpg

(*i used method no.2 and since you guys are here, i removed it just now for picture, it took me this whole fan extension conversation just to remove the usb3 connector with method 2)

my question is... is this because of my motherboard unfortunate usb3 position, or do you guys also have major difficulties plugging in your usb3 cable to your h440....?

pheww... glad to hear that. i see. so this is what fan extension looks like. i took it out of the case. thank you very much guys for helping me ^_^.

again, i swear i google'd and youtube'd before building this :D

btw,,, i'd like to ask about connecting the case usb 3 connector to the motherboard. i have major difficulties doing this. i've tried two methods.

method 1 is putting it through the middle rubber grommet. due to the usb 3 positioning on my motherboard, i can't bend the case usb 3 cable gently. i can bend it with a lot of force, but i'm not sure whether i should do that or not.

method number 2, is easier to plug it in, but impossible to remove. on method no.2 i re-route the usb3 case cable around the hard drive space. however, because the white steel next to the rubber grommet is a little slanted (bend outward)... so after i plugged it in, it stayed there and almost impossible to remove. i'm afraid if i remove it someday, i'll bend the board pins...

(*i used method no.2 and since you guys are here, i removed it just now for picture, it took me this whole fan extension conversation just to remove the usb3 connector with method 2)

my question is... is this because of my motherboard unfortunate usb3 position, or do you guys also have major difficulties plugging in your usb3 cable to your h440....?

I would go with method 1, it's ok to bend the USB cable pretty far back. With my wifes H440 I bent the cable back then pulled up and it fit like a glove in the grommet.

-snip-

Oh man, that usb 3 placement. for once I see why right angled usb 3 is bad. lol

my gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 has the usb on the bottom of the board so it's a non issue for me.

is it not possible to go through the grommet from the front direction of the case? that way it should be easier, bending the cable is ok just be careful when plugging in the cable.

I would go with method 1, it's ok to bend the USB cable pretty far back. With my wifes H440 I bent the cable back then pulled up and it fit like a glove in the grommet.

Oh man, that usb 3 placement. for once I see why right angled usb 3 is bad. lol

my gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 has the usb on the bottom of the board so it's a non issue for me.

is it not possible to go through the grommet from the front direction of the case? that way it should be easier, bending the cable is ok just be careful when plugging in the cable.

yes! if i go with method 2, which i did initially, im very afraid that i would bend the board usb3 pins... >_<

alrighty thank you riptide and bbqsauce for everything... :D

one last quick question, on my old entry-level bitfenix case, i plugged the stock front and rear case fans to the board directly. to sysfan 1 / 2 / 3. from there i can control the fan speed with MSI board software.

with this board, since everything is powered from the molex, that means the fans will go at 12V full speed right?

is there any way to make me able to control the fans speed? is there any stuff i can buy that will allow me to control the fan speed on h440...? (other than 525 fan controller hehe :D)

cheerssss

yes! if i go with method 2, which i did initially, im very afraid that i would bend the board usb3 pins... >_<

alrighty thank you riptide and bbqsauce for everything... :D

one last quick question, on my old entry-level bitfenix case, i plugged the stock front and rear case fans to the board directly. to sysfan 1 / 2 / 3. from there i can control the fan speed with MSI board software.

with this board, since everything is powered from the molex, that means the fans will go at 12V full speed right?

is there any way to make me able to control the fans speed? is there any stuff i can buy that will allow me to control the fan speed on h440...? (other than 525 fan controller hehe :D)

cheerssss

for case fans, i'd say a 12v to 7v molex adapter. having case fans at 7v should be enough. since I use an aio, having the rad fans in the cpu header is enough control for me.

you can plug your fans into your mobo and use speedfan to control them tho. Like how I do on my h105.

for method 1... this is how it would look if i plug it in. is it okay to fold / bend the cable like that...?

if it's okay, i'll plug it in like that as soon as you reply...

n9PcaRj.jpg

(*in case you missed it, it's first pc so... im just looking for confirmation, i don't want to do anything horribly wrong and ruined a $170 case heheh :D)

=====

@bbqsauce, is this the one you mean by 12~7v adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/4Pin-3Pin-Molex-Adater-Cable/dp/B004CLJ76Q

for method 1... this is how it would look if i plug it in. is it okay to fold / bend the cable like that...?

if it's okay, i'll plug it in like that as soon as you reply...

Yes it is ok to bend the cable that much, USB data cables are very durable when it comes to bending them.

Yes it is ok to bend the cable that much, USB data cables are very durable when it comes to bending them.

sweet!!!

oh btw, a couple months ago i was looking for extension cables, and i was considering to ask for your service, but i dont live in the US / Europe and i hv shoestring budget.

however i just would like to say that your sleeving job is pretty great!

sweet!!!

oh btw, a couple months ago i was looking for extension cables, and i was considering to ask for your service, but i dont live in the US / Europe and i hv shoestring budget.

however i just would like to say that your sleeving job is pretty great!

Glad to see we've caught your eye. :)

But as of right now we do not do extensions, we will be adding that feature soon when we start making our own custom cables. We have not fully decided on our prices just yet, for extensions, but I can tell you that we will not be as highly priced as our competitors. It is our main objective to be not only great with our service but great with our prices. I've made it my goal to make it affordable for everyone not just a select group.

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot to here from others about how they view our work.

Me rig specs in the sig. :) Currently I'm having problems with my temps. Especially it's summer in our country. Ambient room temp is around 30c-34c. CPU and GPU idles at around 45c-50c.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

is this the one you mean by 12~7v adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/4Pin-3Pin-Molex-Adater-Cable/dp/B004CLJ76Q

yeah thats the one. you could also make one if you know how to. but for that particular one you linked, i don't know why there is the fan header. just the 12v to 7v molex is fine.

I finally decided to get a Black/Blue one.
Did not see any blue one here so i will post a picture as soon as it is ready to launch.