Which Power Supply

ForeverAutumn

Hey Nerds,

So, I'm looking for a power supply. My parts list is below. I'm hoping to stay in the $50-ish range. My problem is that I require a 8+4 pin for my CPU. I suppose that's normal, but I am a complete newb and this is my first build. When looking for a power supply, I've looked for that in the connectors description, and don't see that. I'm a bit confused. Is a 8+4 pin the same as a EPS12V, or should I be looking for a power supply with a 12 pin eps? I'll admit I have no idea what I'm doing here. I thought having enough wattage was enough, but it clearly wasn't.

Any suggestions on what power supply I should go with, or maybe an explanation of what exactly I should be looking for would be really helpful. Even a relevant article to read would be more than nothing. 

Thanks guys for all your help. This site has helped my loads during my cring-y first build.

Parts: 

atleast 80+ gold. For ryzen 3900x i would get atleast psu of A- 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Here's the tier list of PSU's - I would look into some from the (A-) or (A) range. Also yes, you will most probably need a modular PSU so that you can get another EPS connector as most PSU's come only with an 8-pin one. Also, staying in the $50 range really is not possible. You are probably looking at $80+

2 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

atleast 80+ gold.

Just getting a good unit will matter much more than it's efficiency rating.

Please, please, please do not cheap out on the power supply. It is the most critcal part of your entire system. A low spec or grade power supply not only can kill your system, it could cause a fire in your home. So please don't go for the cheapest option around. Also 450 Watts on a 3900X will not cut it, not even close. Find a decent PSU in the 600 to 750 Watt range with 80+ Gold from a known brand like Corsair, Cooler Master, EVGA, Enermax. Seasonic, Be-Quiet, Thermaltake or even NZXT.

18 minutes ago, ForeverAutumn said:

So, I'm looking for a power supply. My parts list is below. I'm hoping to stay in the $50-ish range. My problem is that I require a 8+4 pin for my CPU.

You're not going to get a good PSU for this system, for 50 USD. You don't spend just 50 dollars on a power supply (a crucial component to the build), when you are using a 500 dollar CPU.

19 minutes ago, ForeverAutumn said:

Is a 8+4 pin the same as a EPS12V, or should I be looking for a power supply with a 12 pin eps? I'll admit I have no idea what I'm doing here. I thought having enough wattage was enough, but it clearly wasn't.

The 4 pin EPS is not strictly nescecary, but if you are looking for it; you will find it listed under the 'CPU' connector place.

I'll save you some hassle, the RM750 2019 (not X, gray label) is probably the cheapest, but still good quality unit with two 4+4 pin EPS connector (so I guess a total of four 4 pin EPS connector).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

honestly... if you have the cxm already and the board boots without it, keep it that way

a single eps 8 pin can handle 384w, which a 3900x doesn't even come close to.

with that said, you could have a chance that the psu starts to make a whining sound due to it's topology. this is nothing dangerous, but can be very annoying.

if either the no boot or whining occurs and you want to change it up, two people above have given some advice around that already

On 3/31/2020 at 8:34 PM, LukeSavenije said:

honestly... if you have the cxm already and the board boots without it, keep it that way

a single eps 8 pin can handle 384w, which a 3900x doesn't even come close to.

with that said, you could have a chance that the psu starts to make a whining sound due to it's topology. this is nothing dangerous, but can be very annoying.

if either the no boot or whining occurs and you want to change it up, two people above have given some advice around that already

3900X and 1070 on a cheap 400W unit is a no-no unless he wants to go boom-boom

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

3900X and 1070 on a cheap 400W unit is a no-no unless he wants to go boom-boom

its a cxm 450. 

his specs dont exceed the capabilities of the cx450m, and he could run it on a 400w System Power 9 if he wanted to. the cxm is not bad, its just worse than the cx. it does have the PCIe powerconnector advantage over the cx450 tho. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

its a cxm 450. 

his specs dont exceed the capabilities of the cx450m, and he could run it on a 400w System Power 9 if he wanted to. the cxm is not bad, its just worse than the cx. it does have the PCIe powerconnector advantage over the cx450 tho. 

It's still a horrible idea to pair a 500$ CPU, 500$ GPU and a 50$ PSU, though. I would not trust a CX, as decent as it is, with a 3900X and 1070

Just now, 5x5 said:

It's still a horrible idea to pair a 500$ CPU, 500$ GPU and a 50$ PSU, though.

providing the PSU is decent (the cx450m is decent), then there isnt any issues.  a bit odd budgeting, sure. but no issues. as such it would be odd to call it a "horrible" idea. especially since the hardware he is using doesnt really warrant more wattage. 

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I would not trust a CX, as decent as it is, with a 3900X and 1070

would you trust the Pure Power 11 or the evga GD (2019)?

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

providing the PSU is decent (the cx450m is decent), then there isnt any issues.  a bit odd budgeting, sure. but no issues. as such it would be odd to call it a "horrible" idea. especially since the hardware he is using doesnt really warrant more wattage. 

would you trust the Pure Power 11 or the evga GD (2019)?

Pure Power - perhaps. I'd have to think about it for a sec. GD - nope.

1 hour ago, juandeag2k said:

That wattage is not enough to begin with.

It is........ You can run it on a decent 400w PSU. 

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Pure Power - perhaps. I'd have to think about it for a sec. GD - nope.

But the Pure Power really isnt much better than the cx. Iirc being prone to whining a bit and in some aspects worse. 

So it really doesnt make a lot of sense to recommend one, but not the other. And they are both more than adequate to power the System OP is using and both not that uncommon to see around the 50$ pricepoints depending on location. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

It is........ You can run it on a decent 400w PSU. 

But the Pure Power really isnt much better than the cx. Iirc being prone to whining a bit and in some aspects worse. 

So it really doesnt make a lot of sense to recommend one over the other. And they are both more than adequate to power the System OP is using and both not that uncommon to see around the 50$ pricepoints depending on location. 

That's why I recommended the TXm Gold - a much better pair for a 125W CPU and 200W GPU

Just now, 5x5 said:

That's why I recommended the TXm Gold - a much better pair for a 125W CPU and 200W GPU

Except the cx really isnt much worse than the txm. 

And is more than adequate. 

None of the options mentioned having any issue powering the system described kn the post. 

Except the cx really isnt much worse than the txm. 

And is more than adequate. 

None of the options mentioned having any issue powering the system described kn the post. 

He'll end up overloading it as soon as he starts overclocking

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

He'll end up overloading it as soon as he starts overclocking

actually he wont really do that either. 

looking aside the fact that overclocking the 3900x isnt all the beneficial. the combined powerdraw of both overclocked would still be within the capabilities of the PSU. 

in fact a System Power 9 400w would still be capable of running that system. and that is a dualrail PSU. 

actually he wont really do that either. 

looking aside the fact that overclocking the 3900x isnt all the beneficial. the combined powerdraw of both overclocked would still be within the capabilities of the PSU. 

in fact a System Power 9 400w would still be capable of running that system. and that is a dualrail PSU. 

You'll trip OCP in a few seconds. The Power 9 has almost no overload headroom

35 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You'll trip OCP in a few seconds. The Power 9 has almost no overload headroom

you know, that would be an issue if you were actually spending the powerbudget, something you arent doing with the system described above. 

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

you know, that would be an issue if you were actually spending the powerbudget, something you arent doing with the system described above. 

Yes you are. Add in fans, board, RAM, storage and you're at 400W

56 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes you are. Add in fans, board, RAM, storage and you're at 400W

Those add small ammounts of powerdraw, but really do not add up to much. And you will have powerbudget leftover. And that is not looking at what can be squeezed out at peak before OPP would kick in.

You have still yet to provide a good reason as to why you shouldnt run these PSUs.

I'm hoping to stay in the $50-ish range.

That wouldn't cut it, just keep CXm, it's not that terrible and 450W are perfectly enough for this build if it's just for gaming. If you really want a new PSU, with current prices and availability that would be like 80$ at least.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply