My Cpu Temps Went Upto 100c...help!!!

My Core 2 Duo E7500 went upto 100C on one of its cores with the other core at 98C when running prime95 small FFT's using an intel stock cooler. The CPU wasn't overclocked, is this normal?

Thats not normal? Is the airflow in your case fine? if not then you should fix that. If that does not work try to upgrade to a aftermarket cooler that will help alot.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Well that isn't ideal. Did it all of a sudden start happening or have you done some tinkering with it lately, taken it off and put it back on again for example?

How old is it, cause if it is old and if you haven't replace the thermal paste then yeah the thermal paste is old and worn out. Just simply watch a Linus video on how to clean and apply new thermal paste. Also there's a video on NCIXcom called "Thermal Management..." It's a great video to determine what's causing an overheat. The simple solution is just applying new thermal compound and see if that works and then if not then try something else like it says in the video. Hope this helps

The CPU is rated up to 74.1°C as you can see here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/36503/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E7500-3M-Cache-2_93-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

So nope 100°C is not normal.

1. shut down your system and remove the ac-powercable

2. take off the heatsink and clean it and the cpu (to remove the old thermal compound)

3. make sure that there is no dust on the stock cooler

4. apply new thermal compound and mount the cooler.

5. plug the fan into the mainboard

This should help

Thats not normal? Is the airflow in your case fine? if not then you should fix that. If that does not work try to upgrade to a aftermarket cooler that will help alot.

The airflow in my case is horrible and it's placed in a closed desk kind of thing with only the front of the case exposed. I live in India, so the cheapest airflow optimised case in the US is also expensive for me here. What cooler would you recommend for a reasonable price?

Well that isn't ideal. Did it all of a sudden start happening or have you done some tinkering with it lately, taken it off and put it back on again for example?

Well I just found out that my motherboard supports overclocking my CPU to a certain extent and so wanted to just test it before doing anything. I did not tinker with it.

Thanks for the replies

Which thermal paste would be ideal for my CPU?

As has been said I reckon your best bet will be to replace the thermal compound and clear dust out of cooler. See how that goes and repost if problem persists i guess.

Edit: just grab whatever thermal paste your local retailer sells, it isn't going to make a drastic difference.

You should be able to find some Artic silver 5 out there..

Ok i'll try that, thanks for your help. Maybe that's the reason because its been 2 to 3 years since i've changed the thermal compound

The airflow in my case is horrible and it's placed in a closed desk kind of thing with only the front of the case exposed. I live in India, so the cheapest airflow optimised case in the US is also expensive for me here. What cooler would you recommend for a reasonable price?

Well I just found out that my motherboard supports overclocking my CPU to a certain extent and so wanted to just test it before doing anything. I did not tinker with it.

Thanks for the replies

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a great budget cooler.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Which thermal paste would be ideal for my CPU?

I would get IC-Diamond as your thermal paste if you can afford it. If not, MX4 is a good choice. As for your cooler, if you want to go on a budget, get a Hyper 212 Evo. If you suddenly want a high end cooler, get a NH-D14.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just get a cooler master hyper 212 evo cooler, it comes with thermal compound thats only 1-2 degrees more than arctic silver 5

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Just get a cooler master hyper 212 evo cooler, it comes with thermal compound thats only 1-2 degrees more than arctic silver 5

Oh lol forgot that the hyper 212 evo came with thermal compound. Yea just use the compound included with the cooler. The included thermal compound should be good enough.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

one thing i have to ask is what are you doing with prime 95 if not checking stability of a overclock..? its not good to stress older machines unless you got the money to buy new ones. or was prime 95 to check for a heat problem in the first place?

most likely you have little to none contact with cpu to stock thermal solution...

unless your fan just quit which is quite easy to tell if it did adjust your heatsink to sit properly on the cpu if i remember correctly its easy to get those things back on tell you get some new thermal paste or heatsink...

if you go with reaplying paste which is the cheaper/smarter way to go unless you plan on overclocking.

pull it out and blow out all the crap on the fan use a tooth brush or those lil brushes you get with hair/beard trimming kits. a qtip works as well.

then reapply new thermal compound and resinstall fan/heat sink....

below copied from intels website.

Push down on the top of each of the fasteners in an alternate pattern, as shown below, while holding the fan heat sink in place. You should hear a “click” when pushing down each fastener. Check that all four fasteners are securely attached by gently pulling up on each fastener. Having an unattached fastener will prevent a good seal between the fan-heatsink and processor and could result in unreliable operation of the processor.

lga11567.jpg

Push down on the top of each of the fasteners in an alternate pattern, as shown below, while holding the fan heat sink in place. You should hear a “click” when pushing down each fastener. Check that all four fasteners are securely attached by gently pulling up on each fastener. Having an unattached fastener will prevent a good seal between the fan-heatsink and processor and could result in unreliable operation of the processor.

lga11568.jpg

make sure your fan header is plugged into the header marked cpu and

Thanks for your reply guys.
I'm in kind of a trouble because of some market strikes in my region, so couldn't get my hands on a new thermal compound yet. Will get it ASAP and change it.
Since my CPU is quite old, will check for temp stability with the stock cooler first, if they're acceptable, i'll go with an aftermarket cooler and overclock.

Thanks for the elaborate pics PcBlackBelt

If you are using the Intel stock cooler maybe those temps aren't to bad because my core i5 3570K on the stock cooler ran at 90c without overclock even with aftermarket thermal paste.

If you are using the Intel stock cooler maybe those temps aren't to bad because my core i5 3570K on the stock cooler ran at 90c without overclock even with aftermarket thermal paste.

According to what I've heard, the stock Intel thermal compound is good enough and people usually don't change it, maybe the higher temperature on your CPU is due to changing it. That's what I think, I'm not so sure about it though

Dust can be a problem in a case because air flow will not be good so maybe you need to clean your case if you have lots of dust in it. 

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

LOL maybe you should not bother stress testing a dual core, and not use the stock cooler.