Replacement key switch?

mao91

One of my acoustic panels dropped off my wall, knocking over a mic stand that detached the "U" key on my keyboard, breaking the switch. I know I can get replacement switches on Amazon. However, they're black. I need one that's clear. 

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB
Key switch: Cherry MX Red

Can anybody point me in the right direction? 

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

3 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

One of my acoustic panels dropped off my wall, knocking over a mic stand that detached the "U" key on my keyboard, breaking the switch. I know I can get replacement switches on Amazon. However, they're black. I need one that's clear. 

Are you aware that you will need to desolder old switch?

https://kbdfans.com/products/cherry-rgb-switches-black-red-blue-brown-sliver-10pcs?variant=3522369880077

8 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

You could desolder a 'useless' key like Pause Break and solder that into the place of the U key.

Usually I recommend doing that and purchasing a replacement keyswitch to add to that Pause Break location once it arrives.

That way you have:

1. a working keyboard 'right way' (since you don't have to wait for that switch to ship and Pause Break won't be missed by most)

2. a keyswitch that will feel the same as the original (as replacements sometimes feel a bit different).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I'm handy with a soldering gun (repair mics and cables on a regular basis) so this doesn't bother me. Thanks for the link! $4 is a LOT cheaper than $120 for a whole new keyboard! 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

You could desolder a 'useless' key like Pause Break and solder that into the place of the U key.

Usually I recommend doing that and purchasing a replacement keyswitch to add to that Pause Break location once it arrives.

That way you have:

1. a working keyboard 'right way' (since you don't have to wait for that switch to ship and Pause Break won't be missed by most)

2. a keyswitch that will feel the same as the original (as replacements sometimes feel a bit different).

I actually use my entire keyboard for macros/shortcuts in my audio production, so a replacement is critical for me. Still, could be worth moving that pause break over to the "U" position and then putting the replacement in the pause break spot. :)

8 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

I actually use my entire keyboard for macros/shortcuts in my audio production, so a replacement is critical for me. Still, could be worth moving that pause break over to the "U" position and then putting the replacement in the pause break spot. :)

👌

Spoiler

image.png.653f3bbaf844a4f8a0ec1a7aa965329a.png

The beauty of mechanical keyboards (well, more like one of the beauties) is the easier repairs that can be done.

Switches are also available at really decent prices!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

👌

Hide contents

image.png.653f3bbaf844a4f8a0ec1a7aa965329a.png

The beauty of mechanical keyboards (well, more like one of the beauties) is the easier repairs that can be done.

Switches are also available at really decent prices!

Quality meme 10/10. It's wild how much not having one key or button accessible slows down my post production when I'm used to just clipping along at a brisk rate. 
Ordered a pack of switches. On a positive note, they're cheap. And if I happen to destroy my keyboard in the attempted repair (which is doubtful), I'm not set too far back towards outright replacing it. 

On an annoying note, 35-65 days for epacket delivery. Looks like I'm using ye olde backup jellycomb wireless POS for now.