New builder - Lessons Learned

PyroTheWise

I have been debating if I should post my build or not.  The build is nothing fancy, no RGB and my color co-ordination didn't really work out as planned.  After giving it some thought, I decided to go ahead and write it up because I did learn a few very valuable lessons.

I would like to give a huge THANKS to the help/guidance provided by the great folks here at LTT forums.  Your help really gave me the confidence to attempt this build and many thanks for the answers/help to all my questions.

Here are my parts:

Case:  Corsair 275R Airflow case

CPU:  Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler:  Stock Wraith Cooler for now

Motherboard:  MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 3200 Mhz (16 GB kit)

GPU:  Gigabyte GeForce 2070 Super Windforce 3 fans

HDD:  Crucial P1 NVMe 1tb model

PSU:  Corsair CX550M

I took my time bulding this pc as it was my first build.  The first snag came with the CPU cooler.   I originally ordered the Arctic Freezer 34 esports (single fan) in Red to match the red/black build theme I was going with.   I followed the instructions and then test fit the cooler before I removed any stickers or applied paste.   The screws that link to the backplate were not long enough.  I wish I took pictures are the time but I was confused and frustrated by the problem   I had my son helping me research the issue and we finally found a small amount of text on the Arctic web-site:

* The length of the backplate screw nuts is different on some AMD AM4 motherboards. You can get a free compatible backplate on request from us. Please send us a message with the subject 'Freezer 34 - AM4 Backplate', the shipping address and proof of invoice to support@arctic.ac.

I was floored by this as all the articles I read, videos I watchec, none of them had this a possible issue.   I wanted to get this PC up and running so I switch to the included wraith cooler.  This installed without any issues so I continued with the build.

I did do a suggested test bench style boot by using the CPU box and it booted right up to the bios screen.  All the parts were installed and recognized.

So my next steps was to put it all in the case.  I spent a lot of time routing cables, hooking up the front panel I/O, etc... then tried to do another test boot before finalzing the cable management and nothing.  No boot, no power, no fans, nothing.  I checked the PSU - yup it was plugged in and swtich turned on.  Still nothing.   I disconnected the front panel I/O and tried to short out the pins again - nothing.  I could get nothing to work.   I was about to panic, but I said to myself - what do the folks at LTT recomment.  So I started removing parts and disconnecting things - still nothing.  

I took the motherboard out of the case and prepared to resetup the test bench using the box (thinking maybe something in the case was shorting out the motherboard).  At this time I noticed my problem and I just laughed.   When I connected up the front panel I/O - I used the wrong spot on the motherboard.   I located the correct spot and shorted the pins and it booted back into the BIOS.   Here is an image showing where I went wrong:

481053499_MSITomahawkFrontPanel.png.757b7e35708f383988f6e9db28452bcd.png

Once this was figured out I put everything back in the case.  However at this time I kinda starting slacking off on the cable management.   I don't think I did horrible but I could definitely be better.  Here is a picture from the back of the case:

1377440296_PCBack.thumb.jpg.a7078308556e1d8379560b22b8c87df4.jpg

Here is a picture from the front:

558204488_PCFront.thumb.jpg.94d0e084f57e437240cf970e47ef543a.jpg

I can see now why cabling kits are popular, the ones that came with the Corsair PSU are really stiff and can be hard to route at times.

So my next issue was the memory in wrong slots issue.  Thankfully the MSI bios alerted me to this non-standard configuration and that was easily fixed.

At the time of this post, my PC is running great.  Playing games on my TV with high/ultra settings.  

I asked myself what I would different in my next build/upgrade:

1. Try to save money for a fully modular PSU and possible a sleeve cabling kit.

2. Better case and/or case fans.  The corsair case fans are loud even at low speeds and it is annoying.  I have ordered some better fans for replacement.

3. Do better research on CPU Cooler compatibility.   The Arctic site does not have a CPU compatibility so there is nothing I could have done there, but other CPU cooler manufacturers do and I have found my CPU cooler repalcement that I will order once I have the money.

4. What to do about GPU SAG.  Not sure on this one.

I hope this helps someone and gives them confidence in building their own system.

good job and enjoy! cable management looks good to me.

as a suggestion, move your ram to slots 2 and 4, they are preferred by am4 motherboards and enable xmp in bios if you haven't already to get your ram running at the rated speed.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

good job and enjoy! cable management looks good to me.

as a suggestion, move your ram to slots 2 and 4, they are preferred by am4 motherboards and enable xmp in bios if you haven't already to get your ram running at the rated speed.

I did move them.  The MSI B450 Bios alerted me to that problem and I fixed it.   

XMP is also enabled and the memory is clocking properly at 3200 MHZ.

Thanks for the advice.

6 hours ago, DublinDude said:

Good job.  

You reckon the case is too small?

I am not sure what you mean by the case is too small.   Everything fits easily, good cable management and decent/good airflow.  The Front panel is not mesh but ventilated and the sides are open to allow air.  This is my first pc build so I am no expert when it comes to cases and airflow.

The current fans will push air through the system but they are noisy at higher RPMs.  

12 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

I am not sure what you mean by the case is too small.   Everything fits easily, good cable management and decent/good airflow.  The Front panel is not mesh but ventilated and the sides are open to allow air.  This is my first pc build so I am no expert when it comes to cases and airflow.

The current fans will push air through the system but they are noisy at higher RPMs.  

Yea it looks great.  I just thought may be that was one of the issues when you mentioned you would get a better case.  I am doing some research into a new build myself.

2 hours ago, DublinDude said:

Yea it looks great.  I just thought may be that was one of the issues when you mentioned you would get a better case.  I am doing some research into a new build myself.

Sorry about the confusion.  The "Better case" was meant about the fans that come included.   I wanted a Fractal Design Meshify C and adding in a third fan but that was over my budget.   I don't remember who, but the Corsair 275R ariflow case was suggested.  I couldn't find a review of that specific case but I did find some on the Corsair 275R and they were generally positive, so to stay within my budget I went with that case.  This case comes with 3 fans where Fractal Meshify C only comes with 2.   

I would definitely look at the case from a build perspective along with Phantecks and Fractal.  The fans are not "jet engine taking off loud" by any means.  A little background about me, I have some hearing loss.  Nothing major but it stems from playing car radios way to loud as a teenager.   Some sounds now are very irritating where most folks will find no issue with.   These fans hit that annoying level and with the case right next to me...  Well you can understand why I want to replace them.

Nice job :)

I will say however that if you follow the quick start guide even, let alone the full manual... or even read the motherboard print, it does tell you that JFP1 is the front panel connectors (Hence the FP, in front panel). I see this all too often where people have gone wrong. I've been working with and building computers for a long time now, and even I sometimes need to read the instructions that come with them. But as you said... lesson learned.

Anyway, enjoy your hard work now it's done :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Nice job :)

I will say however that if you follow the quick start guide even, let alone the full manual... or even read the motherboard print, it does tell you that JFP1 is the front panel connectors (Hence the FP, in front panel). I see this all too often where people have gone wrong. I've been working with and building computers for a long time now, and even I sometimes need to read the instructions that come with them. But as you said... lesson learned.

Anyway, enjoy your hard work now it's done :D

I believe you misunderstood some of the text of the main article.  I did read the manual and I tried to say as much in the copied section below:

On 3/27/2020 at 10:50 AM, PyroTheWise said:

I did do a suggested test bench style boot by using the CPU box and it booted right up to the bios screen.  All the parts were installed and recognized.

So my next steps was to put it all in the case. 

What I meant by those 2 lines was I read the manual and used the "short the 2 pins" technique to cause the system to boot while everyting was out of the case.   The system booted and everything was recognised.

Where I got into trouble was while it was in the case, I started hooking things up where I thought they should go.  The motherboard goes right up to the PSU shroud (which is visible in the images I posted) so the small JFP1 label on the 9-pin was hard to see.   So I made the mistake of using the wrong one.     

Your assumption that I did not read the manual was wrong.  I had it with me the whole time.  I can come up with reasons why I picked the wrong 9-pin connector like:

1.  First time builder so I had no idea there would be duplicate 9 pin connectors.  I watched a lot of build guide vidoes from LTT, JaysTwoCents, Bitwit and others and nobody said anything about multiple connectors.

2.  When the Motherboard was put in the case, the bottom where JFP1 is located bumps right up to the PSU shroud making it hard to see.

3.  An honest mistake believing I was using the correct 9-pin connector.

All of the above are actually true in my case including reading the Motherboard manual.

Great work on your first build. Now you need to gain more experience building more pc’s.

16 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

I believe you misunderstood some of the text of the main article.  I did read the manual and I tried to say as much in the copied section below:

What I meant by those 2 lines was I read the manual and used the "short the 2 pins" technique to cause the system to boot while everyting was out of the case.   The system booted and everything was recognised.

Where I got into trouble was while it was in the case, I started hooking things up where I thought they should go.  The motherboard goes right up to the PSU shroud (which is visible in the images I posted) so the small JFP1 label on the 9-pin was hard to see.   So I made the mistake of using the wrong one.     

Your assumption that I did not read the manual was wrong.  I had it with me the whole time.  I can come up with reasons why I picked the wrong 9-pin connector like:

1.  First time builder so I had no idea there would be duplicate 9 pin connectors.  I watched a lot of build guide vidoes from LTT, JaysTwoCents, Bitwit and others and nobody said anything about multiple connectors.

2.  When the Motherboard was put in the case, the bottom where JFP1 is located bumps right up to the PSU shroud making it hard to see.

3.  An honest mistake believing I was using the correct 9-pin connector.

All of the above are actually true in my case including reading the Motherboard manual.

Yes, it was not clear that you HAD read the manuals etc. I apologise then, it was a simple mistake in your case... The comments weren't entirely aimed at you though, so I'm sorry if you thought that, you see so many people asking the dumbest/simplest questions on here and other forums, that CAN be found in the manuals. It was more of a general moan about people, not yourself :D

One thing I will say, if in the future build you find yourself not able to identify the ports, use some labels or sticky tape (that you can write on), to help you. Anyway, enjoy your PC, you did an awesome job.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

One thing I will say, if in the future build you find yourself not able to identify the ports, use some labels or sticky tape (that you can write on), to help you. Anyway, enjoy your PC, you did an awesome job.

Now that is a great idea.  I could just put a small piece of tape on the case where the connectors are on the case.   

Thanks for the tip!

6 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Now that is a great idea.  I could just put a small piece of tape on the case where the connectors are on the case.   

Thanks for the tip!

No worries, glad to help.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2020 at 10:50 AM, PyroTheWise said:

Here is a picture from the back of the case:

Spoiler

1377440296_PCBack.thumb.jpg.a7078308556e1d8379560b22b8c87df4.jpg

image.png.2b85a90dab5453cec96cabcab5f01565.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

image.png.2b85a90dab5453cec96cabcab5f01565.png

Thanks.  I added more fans and a different CPU cooler and cleaned up the cable management that was bothering me.  So the run are tighter and less loose cables are seen.

22 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Thanks.  I added more fans and a different CPU cooler and cleaned up the cable management that was bothering me.  So the run are tighter and less loose cables are seen.

Having no "outside" storage really cleans up the build too! Every build I've done or helped build has had either an HDD or 2.5" SSD so sata (data and power) cables were always just that extra thing to get in the way. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25