HDMI version on MSI B450 Tomahawk Max?

On a tight budget, so I decided to build a PC with a Ryzen 5 3400g then add a gpu later.

Was planning on getting a 144hz monitor (Asus VG248QE), so I can play on ~75hz until I get a gpu.

Would that work? I read that the vg248qe has HDMI 1.4, but couldn't find anything about the HDMI version of the motherboard.

Have you check the specifications of the motherboard, specifically the 'Details' parts?

1 x HDMI™ 1.4 port, supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@30Hz, 2560x1600@60Hz

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/Specification

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

33 minutes ago, Vendetta3 said:

Nice :D

this means that it can display 1080p@120Hz right?

Probably.

HDMI 1.4 can do 120/144Hz at 1080p. But in theory they could have implemented a different limit.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

38 minutes ago, minibois said:

Probably.

HDMI 1.4 can do 120/144Hz at 1080p. But in theory they could have implemented a different limit.

Yeah, not sure about the monitor, not that much info online about that, surprisingly.

Budget build with a 3400g and a MSI Tomahawk? 

That's a really poor way to spend on a budget. You'd be much better off getting the Ryzen 1600 AF for $85 compared to the retail price of $150 for a 3400g because the new AF version of the 1600 is on the same 12nm process but has 2 more cores. Then get a nice budget B450 board like the Gigabyte B450m DS3H for only $73 compared to $112 for the Tomahawk. 

Now you have $104 in extra money to go buy a graphics card today instead of waiting. At that budget you can go with either a RX 570, RX 480, or RX 580 on the used market all of which provide solid performance at a low budget. 

Don't be concerned with buying a cheap motherboard much. Pretty much any B450 board can handle up to 8 cores 16 threads with a "normal" (not LN2, Sub ambient, etc) overclock. The Tomahawk is a better board but on a budget isn't worth a $30 premium. 

1 hour ago, toasty99 said:

Budget build with a 3400g and a MSI Tomahawk? 

That's a really poor way to spend on a budget. You'd be much better off getting the Ryzen 1600 AF for $85 compared to the retail price of $150 for a 3400g because the new AF version of the 1600 is on the same 12nm process but has 2 more cores. Then get a nice budget B450 board like the Gigabyte B450m DS3H for only $73 compared to $112 for the Tomahawk. 

Now you have $104 in extra money to go buy a graphics card today instead of waiting. At that budget you can go with either a RX 570, RX 480, or RX 580 on the used market all of which provide solid performance at a low budget. 

Don't be concerned with buying a cheap motherboard much. Pretty much any B450 board can handle up to 8 cores 16 threads with a "normal" (not LN2, Sub ambient, etc) overclock. The Tomahawk is a better board but on a budget isn't worth a $30 premium. 

Yeah, you're right, but unfortunately, I couldn't find the Ryzen 5 1600 AF where I live, prices are pretty bad too, so I thought this might be my best bet. Changing the mobo sounds like a good idea tho, the MSI B450M-A PRO MAX should be good, right?

52 minutes ago, Vendetta3 said:

Yeah, you're right, but unfortunately, I couldn't find the Ryzen 5 1600 AF where I live, prices are pretty bad too, so I thought this might be my best bet. Changing the mobo sounds like a good idea tho, the MSI B450M-A PRO MAX should be good, right?

Yeah that motherboard would be fine as well. 

No luck even in the used market or importing off eBay? Even a 2600 or 1600 would be about as good if the price is decent. It's just hard to reccomend a quad core CPU in 2020 at the price a 3400g goes for. 

I obviously don't know about your country, but in some countries Intel is a better option simply because they have better availability.