No winning Chance - Is it even WORTH Joining the Folding Event

Hi!

So iam new to this forum and i just watched the Video of Folding.
I already had it installed but uninstalled it quickly since you dont really see what you support.

like why the researcher dont make a short 2minute youtube video on how it looks when they receive the results and how they use it ? its like tossing money into a wish fountain.

or giving money to the a organisation and they say yes yes we will do good things for ppl and then you look up the real situation to find out that 1/3 of the money gets delivered and the other is simply used for company and big salary of the bosses

Anyway since i dont get any Workloads for my GPU (gtx 1060) iam not sure if i ever reach the 500.000 points in 10 days, so whats the point?

That makes me sad aswell you just have absolutely no insight. you dont know who is behind this folding at home, who use it. 

The website entrys mostly from like 2014 - 2016.

The number 3 team on the team list is 0 ( its the default 0, lol why ?? )

Yes like i said news on brest cancer kidney cancer and so on are SO old its like they dont do any work on it.

I hope you understand what iam trying to say since iam not a native speaker! it feels like useless to me even tho i want to contribute. 

The more the better, how FAH (folding at home) works is it brings a piece of a puzzle for your computer to solve, don't think of it as a way to win something or gain a prize, but rather to find cures for diseases that you, me, or everyone else here can catch in the possible future.

Team numbers for FAH when it comes to LTT is 223518, there is even a whole section for FAH dedicated on the forums. You will also need a pass key for your account to join a team so you will need an email address to receive a key.

FAH section - https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

GUIDE -

Why it is helpful to do FAH -

9 minutes ago, dominik-austria said:

I already had it installed but uninstalled it quickly since you dont really see what you support.

What? Yes you do, just click on the project link.

Anyway since i dont get any Workloads for my GPU (gtx 1060) iam not sure if i ever reach the 500.000 points in 10 days, so whats the point?

Doing something good for others.

That makes me sad aswell you just have absolutely no insight. you dont know who is behind this folding at home, who use it. 

5 minutes on Google can solve that.

Because people who don't join a team are lumped together. It's actually kind of amazing that it's not number 1.

Yes like i said news on brest cancer kidney cancer and so on are SO old its like they dont do any work on it.

Again, maybe spend 5 seconds on Google.

Also it only took me a few days to reach the target for entry in the contest, my graphics card isn't much better than yours at f@h (in fact it may be worse).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

imagine thinking about doing F@H exclusively for the thought of personal benefeit

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

1 minute ago, GrockleTD said:

imagine thinking about doing F@H exclusively for the thought of personal benefeit

This!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

This!

#USA

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

you put me in the wrong light i dont need for personal benefit but like i said. its hard for me to understand why iam doing this.

thanks for this paper result link

i wish they could make it more easy to understand like linus does it with tech stuff. iam not native english speaker and its really hard for me to read scientific papers.

like example AlphaGo. they made a documentary about it for the normal guy to understand it. i dont need a 90 mins video but some easy to understand videos would be very apperciated. 

albert einstein once said: if you cant explain it simply - you probably dont understand it.

but calling me stupid because i cant google is just so offensive and wrong. why this forum even exists then ? to blame new users?

This is an example of the effort I've put in for the last week so far. I dont run the CPU because F@H tends to... run it hot. But the project I'm working on is part of the Covid-19 as stated below, this is nothing but a small part but it is a piece of a much larger puzzle to stop the spread of Covid-19. It is your choice to help or not, but do not expect some kind of reward out of it, it is rather something you get involved into when you want to do something for the greater good when there is nothing else to do in times like these...

FYI im under Quarantine for the next 10 days...

image.thumb.png.6a1530cd6a5fa5f201c1001a556bee3b.png

We would Love to have you on the Team bro!

Here are some of the papers and what they are doing: https://foldingathome.org/category/science/

Besides that the actual researchers answered those questions here: 

Check the FAQ for more info on why you aren’t getting work. They are working 24/7 to deal with the extreme load! Linus himself is in talks with the F@H guys to give them some server capacity and bandwith directly from the LTT headquarters!

With your system you might not be eligible to win, but manny of the prizes are raffled between all participants. Getting 0,5m points in 10 days should be possible for you if you run it 24/7 and get constant WUs. I am pretty sure you will after the LMG boys fire up thier server!

AND SRSLY: F@H is NOT about personal benefit. It’s about HELPING wellll Humanity!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

11 minutes ago, dominik-austria said:

you put me in the wrong light i dont need for personal benefit but like i said. its hard for me to understand why iam doing this.

i wish they could make it more easy to understand like linus does it with tech stuff. iam not native english speaker and its really hard for me to read scientific papers.

like example AlphaGo. they made a documentary about it for the normal guy to understand it. i dont need a 90 mins video but some easy to understand videos would be very apperciated. 

albert einstein once said: if you cant explain it simply - you probably dont understand it.

but calling me stupid because i cant google is just so offensive and wrong. why this forum even exists then ? to blame new users?

Nah chill bro! The intend is to have you fold and not to blame annyone and I can assure you that NOBOADY here wanted or wants to do that. I assume you took em wrong. So plz chill and here are the explanations you where looking for:

The F@H guys don't have the money and or time to make a explainer video and stuf.

My background is physics, not biology or medicine but this was a good explanation for me: https://foldingathome.org/diseases/ 

ESPECIALY with COVID-19 we NEED a vaccine + a cure ASAP. Things leading up to the development of such stuf are part of the F@H work. They can do it pretty fast because they already did such work for SARS

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

34 minutes ago, dominik-austria said:

Hi!

So iam new to this forum and i just watched the Video of Folding.

like why the researcher dont make a short 2minute youtube video on how it looks when they receive the results and how they use it ? its like tossing money into a wish fountain.

or giving money to the a organisation and they say yes yes we will do good things for ppl and then you look up the real situation to find out that 1/3 of the money gets delivered and the other is simply used for company and big salary of the bosses

The website entrys mostly from like 2014 - 2016.

I hope you understand what iam trying to say since iam not a native speaker! it feels like useless to me even tho i want to contribute. 

I have a worse graphics card then you AMD rx570  and I reached the entry level in like a day and a half once the server issues were getting fixed.

But like with most Charities that have prices if you're only entering to get the prize you're better off just buying it yourself, you should want to do the good thing because it's good and the possible price is just a fun bonus to make the event/project more fun.

Edited by Oathkeeperspath
Typo

19 minutes ago, dominik-austria said:

Simple explanation of what this program does is it simulates the shape and movement of the bits that make up the proteins that themselves makeup the virus. The more we understand how that works the better and easier it is to make solution for it.  like how if you understand how a car works even if you're not certified on that vehicle you can figure out what needs to be done to it to get it fixed.

23 minutes ago, dominik-austria said:

I dont have the time to go through the whole thread but if someone has insulted you directly please let a mod know.

The folding community is usually a small tight knit community but we have exploded in size so unfortunately there will always be bad eggs. 

But please, fold away man, feel the joy that helping all of humanity brings to your soul!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

You just trust that your processing contribution is being used for the greater good. My experience with distributed computing goes back to the early days of SETI@home, with brief revisit/initial introduction to F@H years ago and I immediately booted my desktop to install when I saw the LTT video about there being COVID WUs to process.

I don't understand the science of it, but I trust in the theory of the technology. They have simulations to run and if they say that I have the processing ability to help them... just sitting there... normally collecting dust, occasionally getting getting booted for a couple hours of a random game? Sure... I'll help.

Trust in the science. Trust that you can contribute something that will help someone smart in a different way than you.