New head phones and headset

bjotte

Hi

I am looking to add to my collection of headphones with a open headphone and a closed headset with a good mic.

as of today i have these headphones and headsets:

- Corsair vengeance 2000

- Denon AH-D510

- Esmooth ES-821EBmc

- Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 ohm

at home i usually use the beyerdynamic headphones at the PC for both gaming and music and driving them i have a Creative soundblaster Zx soundcard. but at LAN's this catches too much noise so i wish to utilize the built in noise cancellation of the creative setup that works with a mic on a headset and the mic on the ACM module for the soundcard. to do this i need a good headset with 3.5 mm jack or 6 mm jack on the cables so no USB headset.

also i am looking for a headphone that is open as all other headphones i own are closed. i am after something in the DT-770 price range with the same wearing comfort as the DT-770's.

they also need to be over ear cans as i use glasses at the PC and they get uncomfortable with an onear can over time.

Do you have any good ones?

For the closed headset, just add a V-MODA BoomPro to your esmooth headphones. Edit: saw the esmooth takes a cable to each earcup, so oops. V-Moda's Crossfade LP is their cheapest headphone, but is very bass heavy. Probably a better choice than a headset tho, if you add that mic.

Open options I'd let you clip a coin between Sennheiser HD 558 and audio-technica ATH-AD700X

As I have tried similar headbands as the Audio-technica and many people complains about the headband on both the ATH-AD700X and 500X don't holds up the headphones i think i will stay away from them. from what i see the HD558 should be fine but what is the difference between the HD558 and HD598? other tan the 60$ price difference. 

AS V-Moda don't sell to Norway that isn't a option. i have looked at the sennheiser PC350 SE anyone have a experience to share about them or recommendations in the same price range?

As I have tried similar headbands as the Audio-technica and many people complains about the headband on both the ATH-AD700X and 500X don't holds up the headphones i think i will stay away from them. from what i see the HD558 should be fine but what is the difference between the HD558 and HD598? other tan the 60$ price difference. 

AS V-Moda don't sell to Norway that isn't a option. i have looked at the sennheiser PC350 SE anyone have a experience to share about them or recommendations in the same price range?

HD558's supposedly have a tiny bit more bass, and the HD518 have a little more bass than that. I don't know how the PC350SE sounds, but considering it looks a lot like the HD380 Pro, one can assume it's similar, considering Sennheiser just uses the same design for a lot of their things (like the 5xx series). but for gaming, if you absolutely want a headset, the PC360 is really good, but keep in mind it's open, so there's no noise isolation, and if you're blasting your eardrums out, people around you might hear it. 

EDIT: PC360's are basically a HD558 or 518 with a mic on the side, just so you know. 

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

HD558's supposedly have a tiny bit more bass, and the HD518 have a little more bass than that. I don't know how the PC350SE sounds, but considering it looks a lot like the HD380 Pro, one can assume it's similar, considering Sennheiser just uses the same design for a lot of their things (like the 5xx series). but for gaming, if you absolutely want a headset, the PC360 is really good, but keep in mind it's open, so there's no noise isolation, and if you're blasting your eardrums out, people around you might hear it. 

EDIT: PC360's are basically a HD558 or 518 with a mic on the side, just so you know.

PC 350 should be a closed PC 360

I have that exact same esmooth headphone as a rebranded triibeca or some other unknown brand. 

cheap build cheap sound. 

similar sound signature as my monoprice 8323 bassy, lack of mids and maybe a bit more toned down highs compared to the monoprice. 

hot glue is used to secure the receiver end of the headphone jacks. and the same for the screw hold downs for the driver frame. 

I believe the wood is also too thick to impart any tonal differences to the audio. 

I am glad I paid a minimal amount for them. disappointed I paid anything at all.

Don't buy headsets they are shit. Just buy a microphone. My suggestion is a m-audio producer usb microphone.

I have that exact same esmooth headphone as a rebranded triibeca or some other unknown brand. 

cheap build cheap sound. 

similar sound signature as my monoprice 8323 bassy, lack of mids and maybe a bit more toned down highs compared to the monoprice. 

hot glue is used to secure the receiver end of the headphone jacks. and the same for the screw hold downs for the driver frame. 

I believe the wood is also too thick to impart any tonal differences to the audio. 

I am glad I paid a minimal amount for them. disappointed I paid anything at all.

8323's sound bad? My NXG's are pretty great, and they're supposed to be the same thing...

8323 is not bad. but less mids than dt770 and probably on par with my corsairs. the corsair has a bit looser bass though and I think I liked the highs better on the corsair 

IMAG0072.jpg

Audio-Technica ATH-A900X w/ Antlion Modmic version 2.3

Seriously nice setup.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

8323 is not bad. but less mids than dt770 and probably on par with my corsairs. the corsair has a bit looser bass though and I think I liked the highs better on the corsair

Hmm... My NXG is nothing short of amazing. Also relooking at that reddit post, the 8323 are getting some mixed reviews. Maybe there's a huge margin of error when they make the drivers.

Hmm... My NXG is nothing short of amazing. Also relooking at that reddit post, the 8323 are getting some mixed reviews. Maybe there's a huge margin of error when they make the drivers.

I'll give them another listen 

I've had headphones grab me and have my attention but the 8323 didn't jump out at me 

Don't buy headsets they are shit. Just buy a microphone. My suggestion is a m-audio producer usb microphone.

i already have a tottaly fine mic in the ACM module that follow the creative soundblaster Zx soundcard. this do a damn fine job at home when i have a silent room. but as I like to go to LANs I wish to use the soundcards built in noise cancelling that works with a headset mic and the ACM module mic combined. That is why i wish to buy a headset and not a separate mic.

cheap build cheap sound. 

Cannot say I have had the same problems. 

The build quality is good. the sound signature is while bassy have a good rounded highs the more dull mids compared to my DT-770 but that is to be expected by a smaller headphone with a cost of less than half of the DT-770 they are not so dull that vocals don't come though clear and the base while a tad bit rumbly don't overdo it. the highs are vell rounded and even at max volume is not painful to listen to. my theory is that the brand that you bought your's from don't pay for the same quality as esmooth gives their own branded headphones.

I really like the esmooth headphones, tho they are mainly used as my on the go headphones because of the hands-free functions but also their good sound compared to many other small, foldable, hand-free enabled headphones in the same price range.

Anyway as it stands it looks as i will buy the PC350 SE and the HD558 if I don't get an other compelling reason to buy any other headphones.

Anyway as it stands it looks as i will buy the PC350 SE and the HD558 if I don't get an other compelling reason to buy any other headphones.

Only reason I'd suggest against that combo is because they'll sound so similar. Better to get two things that sound different, imo, unless you know you love the Sennheiser sound.