My First Custom Keyboard

jordanthehoreadan

Hello! I have been looking into making my first custom 60% keyboard for a while now and after a long amount of research I believe i have found what I'm looking for.

I don't want to spend an absurd amount of money for my first time building one. (don't trust myself just yet) so this is what i have come up with as of now.

* For the PCB and case i chose the gk61 hot swappable keyboard, I have heard a lot about it being one of the better budget friendly kits to use. I plan on replacing its case later down the road to something metallic. its in the distant future so i don't plan on worrying about that just yet.

* For stabs i want to use zeal's gold plated transparent stabilizers in 4x 2u. 6.25u. I don't know much about the measurements but i have heard that that is about the standards for 60%

* x61 Zeal Pink Rosélios Silent linear switches

* i don't exactly know what kinda lube or dielectric grease i should get but i plan on band aid modding as well

If there is anything missing please feel free to let me know, im looking for any type of advice in aiding me in this. I feel like i have done alot of research into the topic so far. If there is a better option for around the same price point please feel free to tell me.

Thanks for you time

First of all, awesome stuff getting into the custom keyboard scene! I own a GK61 and I have some advice for you:

25 minutes ago, jordanthehoreadan said:

For the PCB and case i chose the gk61 hot swappable keyboard, I have heard a lot about it being one of the better budget friendly kits to use. I plan on replacing its case later down the road to something metallic. its in the distant future so i don't plan on worrying about that just yet.

The PCB & plate on the GK61 use proprietary mounting standoffs so you will have a lot of trouble changing out the case, unless you choose a new case that is designed for the GK61.

26 minutes ago, jordanthehoreadan said:

For stabs i want to use zeal's gold plated transparent stabilizers in 4x 2u. 6.25u. I don't know much about the measurements but i have heard that that is about the standards for 60%

Bear in mind that the GK61 kit with the PCB & case uses plate-mounted Cherry stabs, so you might have some trouble getting PCB-mounted stabs onto the GK61. It is standard sizing in terms of stab lengths on the GK61 though.

28 minutes ago, jordanthehoreadan said:

i don't exactly know what kinda lube or dielectric grease i should get but i plan on band aid modding as well

Band-aid modding won't be very affective with the plate-mounted stabs that the GK61 comes with.

I cannot confirm the stabs issues that may arise, but I do have a GK61 on hand, so if you'd like any further assistance/confirmation on the GK16, feel free to quote me or tag me in a later reply.

Here's an old picture of my GK61, I used Sakurios instead of Roselios:

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.f96dec9916b00e90bd556ffa5cbf6f06.JPG

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 hours ago, sowon said:

Bear in mind that the GK61 kit with the PCB & case uses plate-mounted Cherry stabs, so you might have some trouble getting PCB-mounted stabs onto the GK61. It is standard sizing in terms of stab lengths on the GK61 though.

Ok so after doing some research i have learned that it gk61 supports both plate and pcb,

I might stick with the installed ones but lube em up real nice. especially after reading that it makes it more secure

also how are the switches btw ive heard a lot of great things about them and coming from gateron reds which are my favorite switch at the moment what do you think about the sakurios

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Are you sure about that?

im honestly not, just what i have looked up. dont really know much about it to begin with, thats why i was asking

I'm pretty sure it's Plate mount only.

3 hours ago, sowon said:

The PCB & plate on the GK61 use proprietary mounting standoffs so you will have a lot of trouble changing out the case, unless you choose a new case that is designed for the GK61.

Although I don't think this is correct. I looked at the PCB and it seems to have the standard mounting points.

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I'm pretty sure it's Plate mount only.

thats fine, i can scrap the pcb stabs then, its not a problem

1 hour ago, jordanthehoreadan said:

I might stick with the installed ones but lube em up real nice. especially after reading that it makes it more secure

They're pre-lubed already with a thick grease, there's no need to add anymore. They have enough applied to where they won't rattle.

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

Although I don't think this is correct. I looked at the PCB and it seems to have the standard mounting points.

It's far from standard.

IMG_3673.thumb.JPG.a536cef92080eacb2ae3996577a9c983.JPG

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 hours ago, sowon said:

They're pre-lubed already with a thick grease, there's no need to add anymore. They have enough applied to where they won't rattle.

It's far from standard.

IMG_3673.thumb.JPG.a536cef92080eacb2ae3996577a9c983.JPG

I can't see the PCB in this shot. The one I've seen looks like the one seon123 posted above. Can you look at the back, it may also have standard mounting holes. Other wise there are apparently different versions of it floating around out there.

14 hours ago, seon123 said:

Are you sure about that?

it should, it's a tray mount, you should be able to just screw the pcb onto the stand offs. But if you're using a hotswap pcb always use a plate. 

EDIT: NVM, it uses plate stabs, so no you can't use pcb mount unless you don't want stabs. 

17 hours ago, jordanthehoreadan said:

* For stabs i want to use zeal's gold plated transparent stabilizers in 4x 2u. 6.25u. I don't know much about the measurements but i have heard that that is about the standards for 60%

You can't really use those... 

* x61 Zeal Pink Rosélios Silent linear switches

Eh, I would get something different, Zealpc is retooling their switches ant im p sure those switches are nos, I would get gateron ink silents instead, theyre a better value as well

* i don't exactly know what kinda lube or dielectric grease i should get but i plan on band aid modding as well

I would use 205g0 (not the storeuni shit) for the plastic on plastic stab parts, Super Lube 21030 for the stab wire and plastic, and 204g0/3204 for the switches (They're the easiest for beginners to apply imo)