No sound from realtek device after trying speakers

R001

Hi all,

My headphone was plugged to my PC from a long time and working fine, today I tried to plug in my speakers and I could not hear any sound, I switched back to headphones and suddenly also headphones don't output any sound.

I checked:

Realtek device is working the default

I made sure that all sound levels are not disabled and at 100%

Device manager has no problems

I changed default sound device to Nvidia and back to realtek and closed and opened different mp3 player and still no sound

I tried different headphones and nothing works

I restarted my PC more than once with no effect

I uninstalled the realtek driver and downloaded the newest one and nothing

I check all the settings in sound manager, nothing wrong.

I used the headphone with Nvidia sound device and I can hear sound!

When using Realtek HD device I see the sound meter moving but there is no sound...

Any idea?

I had an issue with my Pc where the audio just damn outright stopped working. It wouldn't even let me install the latest drivers for it. Are you using the latest BIOS on your motherboard because that was half of my issue?
I also tested my audio in Ubuntu because that always gives me an indication to whether any hardware has broken.

The problem could be the headphone jack in the case where you are plugging the headphones, have you tried plugging them in the back output jack?

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I had an issue with my Pc where the audio just damn outright stopped working. It wouldn't even let me install the latest drivers for it. Are you using the latest BIOS on your motherboard because that was half of my issue?

I also tested my audio in Ubuntu because that always gives me an indication to whether any hardware has broken.

Thanks Eddyz1122 for replying.

I never updated Bios if I am not wrong and don't want to do that unless there is direct and clear relation with my problem, I had my PC for years and never had a problem with sound or Bios, playing with Bios could create new problems.

I will try to see if I can find a small linux version that has sound support to test the sound, good idea.

Regards

The problem could be the headphone jack in the case where you are plugging the headphones, have you tried plugging them in the back output jack?

I am using the back, the front ones never worked, I guess the one who built my PC did not bother to hook them

I tried SS output and RS output and center I think, nothing worked.

Thanks for your help

Thanks Eddyz1122 for replying.

I never updated Bios if I am not wrong and don't want to do that unless there is direct and clear relation with my problem, I had my PC for years and never had a problem with sound or Bios, playing with Bios could create new problems.

I will try to see if I can find a small linux version that has sound support to test the sound, good idea.

Regards

Updating the bios did fix my problems. Updating the BIOS should not create more issues. If anything it would get rid of issues. That why the manufacturer releases bios updates, to squish bugs. My problem was horrible though, you might not be having the same issue, but i guess its worth a try.

Updating the bios did fix my problems. Updating the BIOS should not create more issues. If anything it would get rid of issues. That why the manufacturer releases bios updates, to squish bugs. My problem was horrible though, you might not be having the same issue, but i guess its worth a try.

I am trying to test the sound under Linux like you suggested first.

I downloaded Damn Small Linux and I can't move the mouse or use keyboard after it starts up, the only thing that changes/moves is the uptime timer on the desktop.

I have a copy of  lubuntu-12.10-alternate-i386.iso, I downloaded it long time ago and seems a bit complicated to put on USB.

Do you know any other Linux that supports sound smoothly and has a small size to download ? my internet is really slow.

Thank you

Why don't you try to plug the front audio?  is easy, there should be a cable that looks like this:

P1030068.jpg

And goes on a connector that is in the motherboard, usually at the bottom right corner, that looks like this:

front_sm.jpg

Usually have the text "AUDIO", based on which type of connection your motherboard uses (AC97 or HD Audio) the pins in the motherboard connector are different, and only 1 of the 2 would fit.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I am trying to test the sound under Linux like you suggested first.

I downloaded Damn Small Linux and I can't move the mouse or use keyboard after it starts up, the only thing that changes/moves is the uptime timer on the desktop.

I have a copy of  lubuntu-12.10-alternate-i386.iso, I downloaded it long time ago and seems a bit complicated to put on USB.

Do you know any other Linux that supports sound smoothly and has a small size to download ? my internet is really slow.

Thank you

How about trying Xubuntu?

Why don't you try to plug the front audio?  is easy, there should be a cable that looks like this:

And goes on a connector that is in the motherboard, usually at the bottom right corner, that looks like this:

Usually have the text "AUDIO", based on which type of connection your motherboard uses (AC97 or HD Audio) the pins in the motherboard connector are different, and only 1 of the 2 would fit.

I finally have front audio :lol:

I found the cable and tried the HD cable first and the audio worked, I did not expect it to be that easy (thanks to your pictures), I thought I had to take apart the case to reach the front from side the back or something like that.

Thank you very much Sors!

How about trying Xubuntu?

I finally succeeded in booting up Puppy Linux (156 MB) and audio works from all jacks (I tried two jacks from the back and both worked)! So nice and weird!

So it's not hardware (Thank God) and not driver (I guess) because the front works, so why the back jacks don't work in windows... I am lost  :unsure:

I finally have front audio :lol:

I found the cable and tried the HD cable first and the audio worked, I did not expect it to be that easy (thanks to your pictures), I thought I had to take apart the case to reach the front from side the back or something like that.

Thank you very much Sors!

I finally succeeded in booting up Puppy Linux (156 MB) and audio works from all jacks (I tried two jacks from the back and both worked)! So nice and weird!

So it's not hardware (Thank God) and not driver (I guess) because the front works, so why the back jacks don't work in windows... I am lost  :unsure:

Mine did the same. Exactly what happened to me, except my audio devices (rear audio) disappeared in windows.

Mine did the same. Exactly what happened to me, except my audio devices (rear audio) disappeared in windows.

In Control panel => Sound => Playback => configure, I clicked on it (I did before) and I tested Stereo and no sound, I said to myself why not try 7.1 (I only have Stereo) and the diagram started showing which speakers are working now with no sound (sound meter moving though) until it reached SL & SR and there is sound in both cases!

What is this problem?

7_1.jpg

In Control panel => Sound => Playback => configure, I clicked on it (I did before) and I tested Stereo and no sound, I said to myself why not try 7.1 (I only have Stereo) and the diagram started showing which speakers are working now with no sound (sound meter moving though) until it reached SL & SR and there is sound in both cases!

What is this problem?

7_1.jpg

I have no idea what your problem is, sorry man. does your audio continue to work when you keep it in 7.1 mode? The only other idea i have is a reinstall of your os but that probably not what you want to do. Im fine with re-installing an OS but you probably are not. Sorry man.

I have no idea what your problem is, sorry man. does your audio continue to work when you keep it in 7.1 mode? The only other idea i have is a reinstall of your os but that probably not what you want to do. Im fine with re-installing an OS but you probably are not. Sorry man.

No it does not work in 7.1, I tried.

Reinstalling Windows 7 is a nightmare, no way :lol:

I will keep searching.

Thanks for all your help man :)

No it does not work in 7.1, I tried.

Reinstalling Windows 7 is a nightmare, no way :lol:

I will keep searching.

Thanks for all your help man :)

Yeah thought so. Im fine with doing it as i keep most of my stuff on a different drive to my OS and don't have much on my main drive. Have you tried system restore maybe?