I bought a xps 15 from a guy on offerup. The laptop is great. It is powerful and slim but I have a few problems with it. First of all, Dell doesn't recognize the laptop. When I put the Service tag or the express number, it doesn't find a device. In addition, on the support app, it can't find my warranty either. The weirdest problem is that the laptop shows that It has CPU0000. Could it be that maybe I found an engineering sample of the laptop?

2 minutes ago, GOBBLE.GOBBLE said:

I bought a xps 15 from a guy on offerup. The laptop is great. It is powerful and slim but I have a few problems with it. First of all, Dell doesn't recognize the laptop. When I put the Service tag or the express number, it doesn't find a device. In addition, on the support app, it can't find my warranty either. The weirdest problem is that the laptop shows that It has CPU0000. Could it be that maybe I found an engineering sample of the laptop?

Download HWMonitor or HWInfo for example to see what exactly you have in that PC.  Download CPU-Z to see the specifics in detail about the CPU, RAM, MOBO

Sounds like a stolen PC by the first few sentences.  (not judging, I don't care)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I already know the Cpu. It is i5-8305g. I buy and sell used stuff to make money as a high schooler. When I first saw it I thought it was some kind of bios issue but now, I am pretty confused.

CPUZ.PNG

call dell? they might be able to help. 

reinstall windows after a format?

I tried reinstalling. Every time I contact Dell, they say my warranty ended but when I ask questions about my laptop, they can't answer anything since they can't identify which laptop I have.

Since CPU-Z also says (ES) after the CPU that means it's likely an ES laptop. Not saying 100% but I would bet that's most likely the case.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, GOBBLE.GOBBLE said:

I tried reinstalling. Every time I contact Dell, they say my warranty ended but when I ask questions about my laptop, they can't answer anything since they can't identify which laptop I have.

Cause this wasn't a laptop ever meant to be anything but tested and returned to Dell.

is an engineering sample

EDIT - I wonder which is accurate, the 2.8ghz or the .9ghz

Sample.PNG

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 minutes ago, GOBBLE.GOBBLE said:

I already know the Cpu. It is i5-8305g. I buy and sell used stuff to make money as a high schooler. When I first saw it I thought it was some kind of bios issue but now, I am pretty confused.

CPUZ.PNG

(ES) = engineering sample. This laptop was never meant to be owned by a member of the public. If everything else works, it works, so no big deal.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Well, the problem is I can't update the bios and it doesn't accept windows 10 activation key either. And screen goes black for a second once every 10 minutes.

Do you think they will give me a replacement? Cuz I am tired of the activate windows watermark, and I would like to update my bios and firmware.

1 minute ago, GOBBLE.GOBBLE said:

Do you think they will give me a replacement? Cuz I am tired of the activate windows watermark, and I would like to update my bios and firmware.

You bought the laptop used, and it's an engineering sample so Dell has zero obligation to replace it for you. Even if it weren't an engineering sample, the original owner would need to contact Dell to initiate a warranty / ownership transfer to your name, otherwise Dell can't verify you as the current owner should there be any warranty remaining.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I see your point but laptops like this shouldn't even be in the market. It is their fault. But yeah I understand what you are saying.

10 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You bought the laptop used, and it's an engineering sample so Dell has zero obligation to replace it for you. Even if it weren't an engineering sample, the original owner would need to contact Dell to initiate a warranty / ownership transfer to your name, otherwise Dell can't verify you as the current owner should there be any warranty remaining.

I just started talking with them hopefully, I will get a replacement.

20 minutes ago, GOBBLE.GOBBLE said:

I see your point but laptops like this shouldn't even be in the market. It is their fault. But yeah I understand what you are saying.

How the laptop got to the market:

Some person: "Hello Dell, I am an engineer. I would like a sample"
Dell: "Okay, here you go"

Some person: "Thanks :)"

Some person: "I'm gonna sell this now"

You: *bought laptop*

Not sure how Dell is at fault here.. You had no interaction with Dell and Dell did not tell this person to sell this laptop (probably). Sure, the original 'Some Person', probably breached some contract or at least some rules or something, but it's not Dell's fault this guy sold an engineering sample laptop.

If you're not comfortable with the laptop, try to return it to the guy you bought it from. Not sure how OfferUp deals with aftersales complaints.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/